• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Is this like playing in Keys with CAGED?

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Hi,
    Since the videos have been down I've been practicing mostly the first CAGED lessons more and again, it's going good ( maybe could be better ), I was wondering about playing in different Keys.

If I for example take the chords E Major, A Major, D Major in open position and play those shapes barred from the 3rd fret in E standard, would that mean I'm playing in the key of G?
    Is that a way of doing it or would I need to translate the chords to the proper shape.

Another question is, if I play the G Major CAGED shape chord and just slide it around, is that playing in the Key of G?

I remember something like to play in a Key I need to find the tonal center, so maybe that answered my questions some.
    The tonal center would be like the third or fourth chord in the middle of the key and 7 chords excluding the octave/interval? ( maybe wrong )

Some stuff I was thinking about

Thanks

Last edited:

Javier Wienarjati

Campfire Attention Holder
    Dec 7, 2021
    Indonesia
    www.instagram.com
    Hello William, I am sorry for my bad english, I try to explain it.
    1. When we use E shape chord for key G, we use index finger as capo in 3rd fret (root in 1st & 6th string), and the rest of E shape chord start from 4th fret (root in 4th string fret 5). Then the A shape in 3rd fret (index in 3rd fret and the rest in5th fret) is C major chord or the 4th degree of G major. Same as A major chord act as 4th degree of E.

2. If we play G major in D shape for example, we use index finger for capo in 5th fret (root in 4th string), and the rest of D shape in fret 7&8. It still voicing G major. We can use other shape and it still voicing G major, and if we slide along the neck with the same 1-1-1/2-1-1-1-1/2 (M-m-m-M-M-m-dim) means we play in key G.

3. As far as I know. Tonal center is the home where the chords resolve.
    Major chord key
    Tonic : 1st, 3rd, and 6th (relative minor) chord.
    Subdominant : 2nd and 4th.
    Dominant : 5th and 7th.

I hope that help, and you can understand what I am trying ro say. Cheers..

Last edited:
    Reactions: William B.
    Upvote 0