• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Is worth using pro tools 12 in a home studio? without HDX systems.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    ProTools is INSANELY expensive and is a resource hog. ProTools is the Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) equivalent of Gibson and Fender - overpriced and coasting on name recognition while their quality control continues to slide ever farther down. There are a LOT of worthwhile DAWs out there, but the one I use and the one I recommend is Reaper

For home use, it's only $60US for two full versions. Version 6 will be out shortly, so download 5.99, use it on the evaluation license (unlimited) until 6 comes out, and then buy 6. I bought Version 4.22 in either 2011 or 2012, and I won't pay again until 6 comes out. Yes, the versioning lasts that long. There's a great community around it, it's VERY versatile, professional, and efficient, and did I say CHEAP? Best money you can spend on home recording, IMO.

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
    Nov 11, 2019
    Croatia
    www.youtube.com
    I agree with Ed, Reaper is your best choice because it costs way less than it should and you can do anything in it that you can do in any other daw. Pro Tools is an "Industry standard" but it's very expensive and there are way better and cheaper options out there. I personally use Fl Studio because I found it the easiest daw in which you can make songs. I really like the UI and just how fast the work flow is. Also the great thing about FL is that once you buy it you get free lifetime updates. Ableton is also a great daw for making music. I think I would use that if I wasn't on FL studio. Cubase is great for mixing but I found it very hard to be creative in it. There was a lot of routing and shit you always had to do and I just didn't like it. Also very expensive. Logic Pro is a great daw too.

To sum it up, there are a lot of daws out there and they all have pros and cons, some are better for certain things than others but in the end it all comes down to personal preference. You can achieve whatever you want in any daw because that's your tool and it's up to you how you use it. Try out the demo versions and see which one you like the best.

Synner Endless Summer Collection