• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Jackson vs Schecter

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I'm planning to buy a new guitar later this year and I'm eyeing a Schecter and a jackson guitar with a hss configuration, five way switch and a Floyd rose tremolo. I was wondering whether someone has experience with both of those brands and could give some insight. What I'm mostly a little iffy about is the jackson pickups in the jackson guitar.

Link's to the guitars

Reactions: Alicia Willis

Edward John

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
UK
I'm planning to buy a new guitar later this year and I'm eyeing a Schecter and a jackson guitar with a hss configuration, five way switch and a Floyd rose tremolo. I was wondering whether someone has experience with both of those brands and could give some insight. What I'm mostly a little iffy about is the jackson pickups in the jackson guitar.

Link's to the guitars

PRS.

Reactions: Dominik Gräber

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Oddly, I have never owned a Charvel or Jackson (or ESP, for that matter), and the only Schecter I had was a 7 string. The pickups were not great, but few manufacturers have good in-house stock pickups, especially in sub-$1,000 models.
I looked up some reviews just now and found that there isn't a lot of had things to say about the Jackson and The Schecter is great but the pickups are it's weak spot.

As far as the pickups in the Schecter go reviews say they are perfectly average so not bad and not particularly good either.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I looked up some reviews just now and found that there isn't a lot of had things to say about the Jackson and The Schecter is great but the pickups are it's weak spot.

As far as the pickups in the Schecter go reviews say they are perfectly average so not bad and not particularly good either.

I think in the sub-$1000US price point, you're going to find pickups that are perfectly serviceable if you're not especially picky, but if you are, you'll want to budget for replacement, at least of the bridge pickup.

Reactions: idssdi
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I think in the sub-$1000US price point, you're going to find pickups that are perfectly serviceable if you're not especially picky, but if you are, you'll want to budget for replacement, at least of the bridge pickup.
    Well, all the guitars I own right now are sub $1000 so I would say I'm not exactly picky. I did already look for loaded pick guards, just don't know how that works with the output jack 😅

Reactions: Ed Seith

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    Id say Schecter dude. Over the years ive read review after review of both schecter and jackson. schecter has the better Qc, and imo the better bang for your buck (going off reviews and demos). Like when i bought my Brendon Small signature V “Snow falcon (epiphone mind you) i compared with other V’s (Jackson King V, Gibson V, Schecter V-1) and i loved the specs of the “Snow falcon” V. So i would say watch demo’s, compare specs and make your choice bro! Hope you get what you want!

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    These days I think most shapes and sizes are the same regardless of company. So pick ups and maybe other smaller specs are the way to compare. I also think opinions change often. Some are really biased towards schecter. I've heard some good things about Jackson but I also don't own one myself.

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    So I cant really attest to the pickups in the Jacksons, but I do own a Schecter and I've played Jackson's in store. I personally like the neck of the Schecter better. (I have the C-1 Hellraiser). I tried a few Jackson's in store but they felt very uncomfortable, almost like the neck was a bit too wide for my hands. They felt wider than my fender too.
    I have Humbuckers in my Schecter (EMG 89 on the neck and EMG 81 on the bridge) I LOVE LOVE LOVE these pickups! I can easily play some dirty heavy riffs on the bridge as well as some cleaner melodies on the neck. Now, does the neck pickup sound as clean as my strat? No, but..its has its own unique sound which is still heavenly.
    I will say, im not 100% sure which pickups were in the Jacksons I played in store, but I really did NOT like the sound of the neck pickups in them. They sounded very distorted to me even when playing "clean". The bridge pickups sounded badass though.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    So I cant really attest to the pickups in the Jacksons, but I do own a Schecter and I've played Jackson's in store. I personally like the neck of the Schecter better. (I have the C-1 Hellraiser). I tried a few Jackson's in store but they felt very uncomfortable, almost like the neck was a bit too wide for my hands. They felt wider than my fender too.
    I have Humbuckers in my Schecter (EMG 89 on the neck and EMG 81 on the bridge) I LOVE LOVE LOVE these pickups! I can easily play some dirty heavy riffs on the bridge as well as some cleaner melodies on the neck. Now, does the neck pickup sound as clean as my strat? No, but..its has its own unique sound which is still heavenly.
    I will say, im not 100% sure which pickups were in the Jacksons I played in store, but I really did NOT like the sound of the neck pickups in them. They sounded very distorted to me even when playing "clean". The bridge pickups sounded badass though.
    EMGs aren't "home grown" budget pickups. He's asking about the Schecter-branded pickups. If you like active pickups, there was nothing better than EMG - for decades - until Fishman Fluence came along.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Kim

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    I think try them both, to see if you like the playstyle. I tried Schecter Hellraiser and Jackson Misha Mansoor and i didnt like the neck of Schecter (although i hear all good things about the guitar, but ptobably not for me). I bought the Jackson and love the neck, so its all personal preference I think.
    About spec and stuff i dont know a lot about it. My guitar teacher told me the pickups in Jackson Misha Mansoor are really good, she uses those pickups on her guitars

https://www.musicstore.com/nl_NL/EU...QnQm85igih_iiwUYu3rreEoM8kQe6HqRoCVKYQAvD_BwE

Reactions: Ed Seith and idssdi