• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

JEEN-YUHS A Kanye Trilogy

Syn Gates

🦾
Staff member
Legend+
Sep 18, 2019
Huntington Beach
:syngates:Yo family! This months AOTM is a full on departure from the norm but not so much in heart because it is an extension of our last AOTM, My Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West.

Jeen-Yuhs is a 3 part Netflix docuseries following the life and career of Kanye. It is a candid look into the mind of a tragic champion that I personally consider to be the greatest artist of his generation. Bold statement I know, but after you watch this film, you will at least understand the depth of his artistry and confidence in a way that you won’t find in any other artist of this generation.

From his beginnings as an incredibly successful producer/songwriter for juggernauts like Jay Z and others, to his epic battle against a “stigma” most would find solace in; being an incredible producer/songwriter.

His plight to transcend legend status as a producer and become the world’s greatest MC, which he firmly believed he was, was met with great resistance by his contemporaries leading to struggles in getting signed to being taken serious by the media that had, hitherto, embraced him for his extraordinary work behind the scenes.

My goal for all of you is not to force more hip hop, or simply, more Kanye on you when you’ve maybe had enough after the first AOTM. My goal is to have you witness firsthand what can happen if you believe in yourself. It is to show you that even someone with “a foot in the door” deals with extreme prejudice, trials and tribulations, and hater scum.

There is a cynical quote out there- “That what you fear the most, could meet you half way”

Well I’d like to spin that into “That which you dream for the most, could meet you half way”. And what I mean by that is if you fight tooth and nail, sacrificing what you need to to accomplish your dreams, at the very least, you will be in a far greater position than you are now. You could even make it the entire way and I believe you will if you’re laser focused and driven.

It does not fall into ANYONE’S lap. Your idols work hard as fuck. They sacrifice hard as fuck. They love hard as fuck. I’ve never been so inspired by one human’s relentless pursuit to the top of their own Mt. Everest.

Work and love hard. If you do, you will not regret it.

All my love,

SYN
:syngates:
YOUTUBE Jeen-Yuhs Trailer
NETFLIX Jeen-Yuhs

Last edited:

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    ...My goal for all of you is not to force more hip hop, or simply, more Kanye on you when you’ve maybe had enough after the first AOTM. My goal is to have you witness firsthand what can happen if you believe in yourself. It is to show you that even someone with “a foot in the door” deals with extreme prejudice, trials and tribulations, and hater scum.

There is a cynical quote out there- “That what you fear the most, could meet you half way”

Well I’d like to spin that into “That which you dream for the most, could meet you half way”. And what I mean by that is if you fight tooth and nail, sacrificing what you need to to accomplish your dreams, at the very least, you will be in a far greater position than you are now. You could even make it the entire way and I believe you will if your laser focused and driven to.

It does not fall into ANYONE’S lap. Your idols work hard as fuck. They sacrifice hard as fuck. They love hard as fuck. I’ve never been so inspired by one human’s relentless pursuit to the top of their own Mt Everest.

Powerful message there, Syn! After I was pleasantly surprised with My Dark Twisted Fantasy and slowly did a bit more exploring, I'm really excited to check this out! Time to get me a Netflix trial, and I shall return with my thoughts when I can! (Hopefully not two months after the fact LOL). Cheers! 🤘

Jamie London

GYNNER
    Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    I love this so much. Like I said on Twitter recently, I think you could absolutely despise Kanye or his music, watch this documentary, and come away changed in a positive way because of it. It’s as much of a personal journey for the viewer as it is the story of Kanye, as well as Coodie. I’m gonna give this doc a second watch before dropping my full thoughts, but yeah… I sincerely hope everyone enjoys and is able to pull something amazing from it. It’s a truly special bit of media.

Saphyra

New Student
    Dec 16, 2021
    France
    :syngates:Yo family! This months AOTM is a full on departure from the norm but not so much in heart because it is an extension of our last AOTM, My Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West.

Jeen-Yuhs is a 3 part Netflix docuseries following the life and career of Kanye. It is a candid look into the mind of a tragic champion that I personally consider to be the greatest artist of his generation. Bold statement I know, but after you watch this film, you will at least understand the depth of his artistry and confidence in a way that you won’t find in any other artist of this generation.

From his beginnings as an incredibly successful producer/songwriter for juggernauts like Jay Z and others, to his epic battle against a “stigma” most would find solace in; being an incredible producer/songwriter.

His plight to transcend legend status as a producer and become the world’s greatest MC, which he firmly believed he was, was met with great resistance by his contemporaries leading to struggles in getting signed to being taken serious by the media that had, hitherto, embraced him for his extraordinary work behind the scenes.

My goal for all of you is not to force more hip hop, or simply, more Kanye on you when you’ve maybe had enough after the first AOTM. My goal is to have you witness firsthand what can happen if you believe in yourself. It is to show you that even someone with “a foot in the door” deals with extreme prejudice, trials and tribulations, and hater scum.

Well I’d like to spin that into “That which you dream for the most, could meet you half way”. And what I mean by that is if you fight tooth and nail, sacrificing what you need to to accomplish your dreams, at the very least, you will be in a far greater position than you are now. You could even make it the entire way and I believe you will if you’re laser focused and driven.

It does not fall into ANYONE’S lap. Your idols work hard as fuck. They sacrifice hard as fuck. They love hard as fuck. I’ve never been so inspired by one human’s relentless pursuit to the top of their own Mt. Everest.

All my love,

SYN
    NETFLIX Jeen-Yuhs
    What a beautiful message ❤ maybe that would change the image that the others have of Kayne West
    I know when M Shadows said there are some influence of Kayne West, people got so mad without searching the depht of what meant, (and in my country I can confirm, I saw some haters in comments of a magazine's article :/)
    I am going to be honest, at first when I saw which influences you said, I was spceptical but I wanted to understand more what do you meant
    M Shadows came on the chat and explained that, and actually, je told that for the album The Stage, there was already influence from Kayne with Higher
    Like I didn't listen so much to Kayne's music, so I didn't notice that but I love Higher so I am really curious of what you'll bring for the next album 😄
    And in addition M Shadows suggested me My Dark Twisted Fantasy, Pablo, 808's n heartbreaking (that it has one of my favourite song of Kayne for the instrumental : Coldest winter) and when I listened some, I really liked it 😄

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Syn Gates

🦾
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Sep 18, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    What a beautiful message ❤ maybe that would change the image that the others have of Kayne West
    I know when M Shadows said there are some influence of Kayne West, people got so mad without searching the depht of what meant, (and in my country I can confirm, I saw some haters in comments of a magazine's article :/)
    I am going to be honest, at first when I saw which influences you said, I was spceptical but I wanted to understand more what do you meant
    M Shadows came on the chat and explained that, and actually, je told that for the album The Stage, there was already influence from Kayne with Higher
    Like I didn't listen so much to Kayne's music, so I didn't notice that but I love Higher so I am really curious of what you'll bring for the next album 😄
    And in addition M Shadows suggested me My Dark Twisted Fantasy, Pablo, 808's n heartbreaking (that it has one of my favourite song of Kayne for the instrumental : Coldest winter) and when I listened some, I really liked it 😄
    I appreciate that! Hip hop has influenced us since the beginning and then very strongly since self titled. Our new record does not sound like a hip hop or rap rock record. We use Kanye’s influence for dynamic, texture, and how wildly imaginative and different every song is. We r the same band. He uses a revolving team of producers each record which I used to think was a kinda weird big tech approach but it worked. I now realize that he is simply taking his master producing skills and producing a group of producers to create next level music. The ultimate in crowd sourcing music. His limits have no limits.

Excited to share our new material with you, I’ve never been so proud of anything in my entire life🥂

Saphyra

New Student
    Dec 16, 2021
    France
    I appreciate that! Hip hop has influenced us since the beginning and then very strongly since self titled. Our new record does not sound like a hip hop or rap rock record. We use Kanye’s influence for dynamic, texture, and how wildly imaginative and different every song is. We r the same band. He uses a revolving team of producers each record which I used to think was a kinda weird big tech approach but it worked. I now realize that he is simply taking his master producing skills and producing a group of producers to create next level music. The ultimate in crowd sourcing music. His limits have no limits.

Excited to share our new material with you, I’ve never been so proud of anything in my entire life🥂
    That is amazing, I can't wait to listen your new album 🤘

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Gonna be a while before I get to this. I'm still working my way through the Disney Plus marathon on the Beatles, which is wonderfully humanizing and enjoyable, but also EIGHT FREAKING HOURS and I want to watch it with all my attention.

But I will watch it, just because Syn said so, and I will try to gain something personal from it, too.

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    Alright, it's 3:30am, I just finished watching the full doc tonight. TLDR - I seriously encourage everyone to watch this.

That. Was. Powerful. It really really was. It'd take me ages to write out my full thoughts, so I'm just gonna focus on the most impactful bits to me. Watching early on in the first part how everyone in that circle of friends was nothing but uplifting to one another. They all wanted each other to succeed, and I think everyone needs a group of friends and family like that. Surrounding yourself with just amazing people pays off, and not just for you. It also shows just how fucking dedicated Kanye was to achieving his dreams. Taking massive leaps of faith, moving around the country just to try for opportunities that would change everything, and then facing all that rejection and all those huge setbacks... yet he never let it stop him, he just turned them into positives. That's fuckin insane. The confidence he has is something I could only dream of, honestly. Even the whole existence of the doc, right from the very start, is a testament. He said something along the lines of "I'm doing this documentary right now.. Might be a little narcissistical, but fuck it." And I just loved that. He stood up for himself always, he worked his ass off, and soon his aspirations came into fruition.

But the bits with his mother got me the most. Just seeing the clips of the times they shared together, rapping together, just seeing how close they were and how supportive she was of him was so touching to me. Hearing/seeing how his confidence came from the confidence she had in him, it just shows that with the right support and the right people in your life, whether they're your friends, your parents, siblings, anything.. you can literally do anything.

But that's just scratching the surface, and that's just some of the powerful lessons and moments that I wanted to highlight. There is a lot to learn from his story. I may not like everything he does, but I sure do have a hell of a lot more respect for the man. Thank you Syn for this recommendation!
    🤘 💀 🤘 🔥

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Singapore
    www.instagram.com

All my love,

SYN
    NETFLIX Jeen-Yuhs
    Never a day have I missed out on mentioning you as one of my sources of inspiration, not just as a 4-stri... i mean, 6-stringer, but also as a human.

You are the cleanest guitarist from the cleanest band I've known since the early days and I've always been proud to share with my peers, juniors & students about you guys. Everything you said about Kanye's story is what I've similarly said about you & Avenged to everyone else.

The world needs more of such beautiful souls, among them is one who left us a little too soon to bang heaven's drums in Dec'09.

Thank you for the wise words once more, @Syn Gates .

:rock-hand: :syn::rock-hand:

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Finally watching and typing out my thoughts as I do so...it's gonna be sporadic y'all

Right out the gate I appreciate the old footage, and it's making me feel old as fuck seeing video from the 90's and it looks SO ancient. lol

I think we have become so accustomed to the larger than life, narcissistic Kayne that is portrayed in the media. It's nice to see him as he was. You can see the nervousness and anxiousness even though the words he is speaking convey's confidence. A prime example of, "fake it til you make it" and speaking your vision into existence.

I love the bit where his mom says "you can be up in the air but on the ground at the same time"---such a wise woman.

"hip hop is all about frontin'" mmhmm

"I got some things in my heart that the world need to hear" --THIS STATEMENT SHOWS THE AMBITION. And sadly, I feel like in some ways he failed at this. Ive never been a ye fan, and it's not because of his songs. I love the beats and musical compositions, but his lyrics always fell short for me. But, his music probably isn't for a person like me so therefore I don't resonate with his lyrics and raps and that's okay. But at the end of the day, he is using his music to speak for someone who does relate. At the end of the day isn't that what draws us to certain artists or lyrics; its that feeling that someone knows exactly what you yourself has gone through.

No doubt, Kanye has a drive like no other and has accomplished so many groundbreaking moments.

I'm glad I took the time to watch this documentary because I do feel like I understand him a bit more. And its a testament of the old cliche, "If you just believe in yourself"....but its true. We all need to find that confidence within us and worry less about what the "world" thinks of us.

espisode 1 down...and its past my bedtime so episode 2 tomorrow :)