• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Just A Personal Thought About The School Rebranding ...

• Thread starter TheRedMageGuitarist
  • Start date

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Social media has its place, for good or for ill (as each person's desire and mileage may vary), but the point is clear, and we appreciate Jak bringing up the comparison.

I realize the SITE has become more merch and "brand" focused, but - and I might be biased - I really don't see it that much here in the forum/community. We sure need more activity overall and stuff, but I feel like the "guitar school aspect" of the site still has its DNA intact.

I know it can be intimidating to post your busted-ass Mary Had a Little Lamb video after one of the insane and super-polished videos, but the most important thing to think of is that those super-shredders are here to help you figure out how to get better.

(and if they're not, we try to identify and remove the videos of people who just drop in to promote their shit and leave). Don't be afraid to reach out to @Chris Johnston and ask about how he wrote that killer pop-rock song, or @SimonEichinger with questions about fucking INSANE technique. A lot more options on that front are COMING SOON now that we're getting ready to launch SynTV and make the site more real-time interactive.

And, you know, Syn spends a serious goddamn fortune on this site, and the lessons and the community and almost EVERYTHING here is free. Ain't nothing wrong with my Dude pushing some (actually seriously fuckin cool) merch to help keep it alive without bleeding him dry, and he's not marking shit up like the movie theaters do - whether you buy a t-shirt or a Synyster Custom, the price is competitive and the shipping is generally really quick (depending on your country).

Most importantly, as your community leaders, we are FEROCIOUS when it comes to protecting this site as a truly SAFE PLACE to be "musically vulnerable," and open yourself up to feedback.

Thanks for opening the dialog, @TheRedMageGuitarist !
    Thanks for the mention @Ed Seith 🤟 Always here to help!

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    I really hope I'm not opening up a can of worms but I really was thinking about it, because I was one of the many who felt this way and ever since Radu's recent thread, I've changed my views...A LOT.

Some students expressed their concern that this site has become "too much like social media now" and that's why they stopped engaging. Well, I USE to agree with that. But it couldn't be further from the truth.

On social media, we have endless, nonstop, annoying and badgering ads that we can't filter out. We have knee-jerk posts and horrible comment sections full of trolls that make secret accounts just to cause bullshit and stir the pot. Here, when we have assholes, the admins sweep that shit up and give a good ass smacking immediately. On virtually ALL social media platforms, it's "Sorry. We're gonna ban YOU because you don't like the bully we cater to." We see fake people shoving products in our faces, and rage-inducing news articles we have no control over if we see them or not.
    A majority of free speech has been yanked from these platforms. And on social media, unless you pose in your lingerie or recently had a baby, no one cares about your posts. You can post up on FB "Hey guys! Finally got this dream guitar after years of hard work!" And if you're lucky to get any comments, it seems a majority will be gossiping behind your back in one way or another. Here? You can say "I passed my driver's test today!" And you'll get like 15 comments of people supporting you. It's insane

I remember I posted a long time ago about overcoming addictions and it opened up a whole line of people coming clean about their victories and battles. We all came together. That's not what social media does. Social media exists solely to tear you down from the inside out.

Also? Ever since my hiatus I took a LOT from many other online guitar schools. I won't say which ones, but as this place stands as a guitar school, this community has NO competition. It's hands down THE BEST. On other sites, you see students crying out for help and no one responds. It'll be swarming with activity but NO ONE NOTICES EACH OTHER. Here, we get noticed. We get heard. Sure we could all use a few more lessons, but we now know these AMAZING features ARE coming. I feel so blessed and so thankful.

Sometimes you gotta wander far from the barn to see how cozy your haybed really was.

Love the admin team. Love the students. Love Synner.
    Definitely agree with this. I snooped around other guitar forums back when I first started teaching and would sometimes cringe so hard at how some people would straight up just intimidate beginners/people asking for advice, just to stroke their own egos - And I've never experienced it here with any of the community leaders. Besides, there's absolutely no need for it in a place that truly promotes learning.

This school has always shown me positivity and acceptance from the beginning & even as someone who teaches for a living, I'm constantly learning things on here all the time. You guys managed to help me make a massive dent in my performance anxiety & made a high pressure headline gig a blast - all from across the pond. Like I was genuinelly remembering the forum posts like a mantra as I was playing & they worked!

For me, that's the power of the Social aspects of this site. Musicians coming together and helping eachother up 🤟

Last edited:

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I believe the tools have always beem there i just think people started shying away more and more. I can't say anything about group chats or outside groups cause im not part of any group but i did notice even regular posters were getting shy. Theres a ton of new videos ill have to go through

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    This literally says you used to agree with their opinion, but that same opinion couldn't be further from the truth. So again, I did not misunderstand anything from the original post. I'm sorry you misunderstood me is not the same as I'm sorry for not being clear enough.

You have clarified now, which is great. Anyone who is watching this conversation with popcorn will now know what you meant. Which is where I am going with this :) .

I care about everyone here and will defend everyone about anything.
    The smile there leads me to believe youre trying to rub it.in. im gonna be honest. Jaks opinion means a lot around here whether its understood or not. Its also not had to just ask for a better expanation. You clearly haven't been here long or youd know where jak was coming from.

• Love
    Reactions: TheRedMageGuitarist

Steven Huth

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    The smile there leads me to believe youre trying to rub it.in. im gonna be honest. Jaks opinion means a lot around here whether its understood or not. Its also not had to just ask for a better expanation. You clearly haven't been here long or youd know where jak was coming from.
    Been here since the beginning bud, as have you. I know what Jak has done here.
    How long you have been here doesn't matter. Someone new has just as much of a voice as someone who has been here since the beginning. That was the entire point of that conversation.

I guess you use emojis differently than I do. The smile was genuine. Whether you believe that or not...is all on you :)

Reactions: Adin Shepherd
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    @Calvin Phillips @Steven Huth Alright gentlemen, I'm gonna step in real quick. Let's stop this argument there, we are not here for this. As Ed has stated, no one here intends to insult anyone else so please, let's just stop here and not try to overthink and over read other's people messages. There is no need for an argument that goes off topic.

We appreciate everyone's thoughts here as long as it is delivered with no intent to hurt. I haven't seen that yet so let's not jump the gun! Enjoy your evenings, there is so much more to life than getting upset on the internet! 😊

Thank you! 😁

Steven Huth

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    @Calvin Phillips @Steven Huth Alright gentlemen, I'm gonna step in real quick. Let's stop this argument there, we are not here for this. As Ed has stated, no one here intends to insult anyone else so please, let's just stop here and not try to overthink and over read other's people messages. There is no need for an argument that goes off topic.

We appreciate everyone's thoughts here as long as it is delivered with no intent to hurt. I haven't seen that yet so let's not jump the gun! Enjoy your evenings, there is so much more to life than getting upset on the internet! 😊

Thank you! 😁
    Posting your only fans account is the only acceptable solution here.

I am good man, I appreciate the looking out though., I'm not upset and hopefully no one else is either. Ya'll are more than welcome to carry it to DM if you have more to say.

Could not agree more about life. Like what you and do what you like.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019

Thank you! 😁
    I have nothing more to say

I really dont want people to make jak not feel welcome and leave. Last thing we need is her not wanting to be here right after she just came back.

Syn Gates

🦾
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Sep 18, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    Thanks for your insight Jak, means a lot! This place is going to change a lot over the next year. When you build something, the vision rarely mirrors the result. Media might have to go, it might have to stay, it might have to be tweaked. We don’t know yet. The way we connect over an app will yield different data than web. Live-streaming and chat may change the behavior significantly. Again, we don’t know. But we are watching, and the overarching goal is the same and will never change, only the tools to support the goal will evolve over time as all technology does. The goal is to truly and purely, empower you all.

Traditional Social Media to me sucks in the following ways-
    -algorithms to keep you glued instead of high value content
    -manipulation of your feed to instill fear and polarization. Political echo chambers create hate and bad actors. Social Media powerhouses know this and propagate this guiltlessly. Why? Nothing creates more engagement and viewership than anger and hate.
    -ads that have no value. Manipulation of your feed and ultimately your views to custom tailor YOU to high paying ads, not valuable ads custom tailored to you and your empowerment. Think you can outsmart the smartest algorithms ever created by the smartest people on the planet with endless funding? Well, it’s tough but I have faith in you. Most dont or won’t share in our prosperity.

Make no mistake, this is a social media platform. To say that Social Media is bad, is like saying that pyramid schemes are bad. This place is both, and shamelessly so.

Social Media was created to connect people from all over the world with each other. To create bonds and source friendships and professional relationships from a deeper pool of likeminded people. Also, from those that differ from us so we can learn from them, debate with them, NOT fight with them.

Pyramid schemes are a tool to embolden your community when used benevolently. By empowering and incentivizing high value community members to become leaders and influencers, more people can be helped, guided, and attended to. Much greater ground can be covered with a communal hierarchy. Members now have a path if they desire, to work with some of the most talented people on the planet building the greatest community on the planet. Or you can just kick back and benefit from community leaderknowledge and experience.

Let’s not get it twisted, we are all sorts of names and titles with stigma attached. The benevolence comes from studying the tools and processes that engender true autonomy, power, and happiness.

And we are doing just that. Thanks for the passion in this thread, it’s hard to disagree and debate sometimes but it’s healthy so long as you give EVERYONE the benefit of the doubt. You are not a fool because you gave a bad actor the benefit of the doubt and then suffered a negative consequence. You now have superior experience. An open mind and heart will serve you best. And by far.

Thanks for being such a thoughtful and caring contributor to this community Jak, we are so lucky to have you.

All my love Synners, I couldn’t be more proud to be a part of this family❤️

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Gabby Heafy

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Apr 5, 2020
    www.instagram.com
    Thanks for your insight Jak, means a lot! This place is going to change a lot over the next year. When you build something, the vision rarely mirrors the result. Media might have to go, it might have to stay, it might have to be tweaked. We don’t know yet. The way we connect over an app will yield different data than web. Live-streaming and chat may change the behavior significantly. Again, we don’t know. But we are watching, and the overarching goal is the same and will never change, only the tools to support the goal will evolve over time as all technology does. The goal is to truly and purely, empower you all.

Traditional Social Media to me sucks in the following ways-
    -algorithms to keep you glued instead of high value content
    -manipulation of your feed to instill fear and polarization. Political echo chambers create hate and bad actors. Social Media powerhouses know this and propagate this guiltlessly. Why? Nothing creates more engagement and viewership than anger and hate.
    -ads that have no value. Manipulation of your feed and ultimately your views to custom tailor YOU to high paying ads, not valuable ads custom tailored to you and your empowerment. Think you can outsmart the smartest algorithms ever created by the smartest people on the planet with endless funding? Well, it’s tough but I have faith in you. Most dont or won’t share in our prosperity.

Make no mistake, this is a social media platform. To say that Social Media is bad, is like saying that pyramid schemes are bad. This place is both, and shamelessly so.

Social Media was created to connect people from all over the world with each other. To create bonds and source friendships and professional relationships from a deeper pool of likeminded people. Also, from those that differ from us so we can learn from them, debate with them, NOT fight with them.

Pyramid schemes are a tool to embolden your community when used benevolently. By empowering and incentivizing high value community members to become leaders and influencers, more people can be helped, guided, and attended to. Much greater ground can be covered with a communal hierarchy. Members now have a path if they desire, to work with some of the most talented people on the planet building the greatest community on the planet. Or you can just kick back and benefit from community leaderknowledge and experience.

Let’s not get it twisted, we are all sorts of names and titles with stigma attached. The benevolence comes from studying the tools and processes that engender true autonomy, power, and happiness.

And we are doing just that. Thanks for the passion in this thread, it’s hard to disagree and debate sometimes but it’s healthy so long as you give EVERYONE the benefit of the doubt. You are not a fool because you gave a bad actor the benefit of the doubt and then suffered a negative consequence. You now have superior experience. An open mind and heart will serve you best. And by far.

Thanks for being such a thoughtful and caring contributor to this community Jak, we are so lucky to have you.

All my love Synners, I couldn’t be more proud to be a part of this family❤️
    We are very proud of you! so wise and beautiful words Syn! Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us! ❤️