• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Just a thought to share

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    I have done it! I made an unpopular Reddit post I got a lot of negativity for so thought I’d share it here. 😂I know it’s not unpopular here because people here give actual answers to questions.

“Telling people to practice is bad, lazy advice

Yes, practice is important to improve but whenever I see that as an answer to someone asking for advice it’s just actually not an answer at all. I’ve had that answer many times before when I asked how to do something. Practice was always the answer, no elaboration ever. Practice, practice. Okay, but practice what? People hardly ever seem to want to answer that. If you see someone play an improv on an instrument and you ask how they do that, big chance that all you get to hear is “practice” and you have to figure it out by yourself. No one HAS to give an answer, but if you do give an actual answer. For the improv example you could say “I mixed arpeggios with scales” “I used this technique”. You don’t have to write a book as an answer, just give some tag words for people to look further. Beginners need to know where to start looking and may not know those words, that way they’ll eventually find out what to practice, and how.

Practice doesn’t make perfect, practice make permanent. Practice doesn’t improve, efficient practice improves.”

Getting better isn’t about the amount of hours you put into it, but it’s about the effort. It’s about what you practice. If a beginner wants to learn a specific technique, but doesn’t know the name of it the answer “practice” doesn’t get them anywhere. If you’d tell them what the technique is however, they know what to look for and what to practice. Just a one word answer would be good enough. You can’t practice something if you don’t know it exists.

Last edited:

Andrew Milner

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    I once had a course on Udemy, someone gave me some 2 or 3 stars out of 5 on it, no explanation provided. How in the most unholiest of f***s am I supposed to improve it if you don't tell me what's wrong?

Same principle here, as you outlined. Defaulting to "practice" as an answer, followed by what I assume is a poor rendition of a Beavis And Butthead laugh is one of the most infuriating things on this planet. Like, yeah guitar playing person, I know I have to practice, I just don't know WHAT to practice.

Huh...guess I found another thing that makes me irrationally angry. Guess I'll just have to toss it in the bin of things that make me irrationally angry alongside hypocrisy, Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen fanboys, Elon Musk fanboys, and Riverdale's writing (if we can even call it writing at this point in time).

Last edited:
    Synner Endless Summer Collection