• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Just For Fun – Six Magic Notes For Soloing – Lesson 10

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Rob11585

Free Bird Player
May 5, 2022
This is really fun and opens some doors to playing along with jam tracks. I’m pretty familiar with the cage system and thought this was a good intro to noodling but one question that came to mind was when the key changes (not sure if I’m using the right terminology) do I want to maintain the same shape or should I be changing the shape moving down the fret board like I kind of imagine myself doing. I know this is a bit off topic and sorry for that since this is more of a 6 magic note trick. I thought I would ask though.

Reactions: Villie Nor Naw

Eidolon

One Stringer
Jul 17, 2022
I'm a complete noob at music theory and I've watched this video a few times now and I think I'm a bit lost. Like take the first example Brian Sr. gave. He said he found the tone center of the riff he played to be at the note of A, yea? How exactly did he realize that that was the tone center? And then for the 6 note pattern we start at the note of D, right? Why are we skipping a string up? The six notes as far as I can tell would be D and E on the A string, G and A on the D string, and C and D on the G string. He ends it on the note of A, which matches the tone center. But why? Does it just sound right? Without the the riff before would it still sound right? Why does this 6 note pattern work? In the second example he is playing it the key of E and the E note is the 2nd fret on the D string, while the first note played is the the open A string. Why is this in the key of E? Why is it not an A pattern? is it because the fourth note played in the 6 note pattern is the tone center and therefore dictates the key? Like I said, I'm basically starting from scratch, so I'm just confused, and I want to make sure I understand why I'm doing something instead of just repeating what he's doing.

Trish

Free Bird Player
Sep 1, 2023
I think I got lost in the end with the chord changes. Anyone can clarify how it relates to the 6 magic notes?
I think what he meant is that in a full track the rhythm section isn't playing the same chord the whole time. For example, G/Em/C/D might be a chord progression (one bar/four beats of G, then Em, then C, then D). You could play this pattern in G the whole time, or when the second measure hits and the chord changes to Em, you could change your solo to Em.

Hope that helps and was clear!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Trish

Free Bird Player
Sep 1, 2023
So I've got the six notes down,but I'm seriously struggling to turn it into a solo
Me too. Everything I play sounds like a really simple blues riff or complete garbage. Also not used to playing with a backing track so I'm finding timing difficult compared to using a metronome.

My plan for now is to play just the pattern with the backing track until timing feels more natural. That has the added benefit of "opening your ears" to the notes.

Good luck and don't give up!