• Having issues viewing lessons?

We're currently experiencing an issue with the video system we use and will get this fixed soon!

Just Some Personal Things I'd Like To Share :)

• Thread starter TheRedMageGuitarist
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheRedMageGuitarist

Hey everyone! I've been going through so much lately and I've discovered some really cool things.

*JUST ANOTHER DISCLAIMER THIS IS MY PERSONAL THOUGHTS ON MY OWN LIFE AND I'M NOT TELLING ANYONE TO ACT LIKE ME OR THINK LIKE ME*

Firstly, you all know I'm on a never-ending quest for my health in all aspects; mentally, physically and emotionally. Because of Holly having severe gluten sensitivity (not the trendy kind, the real kind), I decided once to go gluten-free with her. This was years ago and I had been experiencing some really scary shit going on with my stomach that at first I linked to synthetic b vitamins in breads and flours, but essentially felt it was gluten causing all sorts of gastro issues for me. But even though I went gluten-free, it didn't really change much. So I stopped.

Flash forward to just about 3 months ago or so, I started really getting into anti-inflammatory diets because a dear friend of mine had a pretty severe inflammatory disease. I read this book called "No Grain No Pain" and was fucking mind blown by what grain actually does. To me, I saw all the symptoms. So I decided myself to cut out all grains. And not just grains, but even the things that had the similar inflammatory protein like legumes, soy and certain nuts. So if it had cornstarch? Couldn't have it. Corn syrup? Soy lecithin? Nope. Now, I felt a lot better. My stomach shrank, my gastro issues subsided completely, my energy went through the roof. But I still had these aches and pains that didn't feel normal. I'm like "I'm only 34, I shouldn't feel this shitty." I couldn't even walk a mile on our trail without my hips, thighs and back hurting badly to where I needed to sit down. I want to lose weight, but how am I suppose to with all this pain?

Then my mental state went through the fucking roof. I was in an emotionally roller coaster and was raging on anxiety daily. I was depressed, miserable, and quite unapproachable. On my own accord, I researched the only thing I hadn't cut out of my diet yet: Sugar.

In place of whole grain breads I was eating a bar of coconut sugar chocolate. In place of grain-fed lean burgers I was eating "coconut sugar ice cream." My body fucking hurt and my brain would not slow down. So I researched what sugar can do to the brain, and it freaked me the fuck out so much I immediately quit that as well.

I lost weight. And for the first time after about a week, my back didn't hurt when I tried to turn to put my seat belt on. In 2 weeks, I was having so much energy I was walking my 3.75 mile trail WITHOUT ANY breaks or rests, and I had NO PAIN AT ALL until almost at the end when I was sore. But I still managed to have energy to go Christmas shopping and move a 150lb table up my two flights of stairs with Holly. I was on a high. I texted Syn and told him my guitar playing had never been smoother. My fingers didn't get sore. I was on a good high. I had also learned that even though I quit sugar once before, I always craved it and tried to sneak it. But after I cut out grain, going without sugar was just like going without a punch in the face. I didn't miss it.

Now Christmas happened. And I said "Fuck it! I'm having breads, cakes, pies, whatever my heart desires!" And it didn't bother me. But next thing I knew, I couldn't stop eating. I binged like hell, and the next day I woke up my back hurt so badly. I tossed and turned all night from back pain, and when I woke up the bottoms of my feet hurt so fucking badly I was limping to walk on them. I couldn't turn my back properly. The wretched pain between my shoulders that kept me for years from sitting upright had returned. I thought it was because I was sore from cooking. But three days later of pure rest and still eating sugary desserts, my symptoms have gotten worse and I notice an immediate temple headache when I eat it. I was never full feeling. And I learned that leptin resistance can be caused by sugar consumption, which leptin is a hormone responsible for hunger and satiety signals in the brain. The more sugar you have, the less you feel satisfied.

Also, man. I couldn't put the fucking phone down either. I was spending up to 7 hours a day on that fucking thing. The article I read said it best, "You think it's not a big deal because you're spending time on things you feel you're productive with. But really think about it. What in this world would ever require you to truly be on your phone for SEVEN hours a day?"

My 7 hours was broken down as this. 2 hours of gaming, 2 hours of instagram, and 3 hours on Chrome and other stuff. I was checking my email constantly even though I knew it was still junk mail. Looking up recipes all the time. Researching random stuff. Online store browsing. Calculating budgets, reading articles, watching youtube. To some people this may not seem like a big deal. And some people don't have this problem. But I do. To me I felt productive researching articles and anecdotal story after anecdotal story. I felt productive researching flats to stay in Prague for Holly's eye surgery. But I'm not ready to leave for Prague yet, why am I spending an hour a day researching my trip that I won't be financially ready for for almost 6 months?

This lead me to completely shut out my cell phone usage. I've struggled with the addiction. But I'm getting a landline phone (WITH A CORD BELIEVE IT OR NOT!) And that way when someone talks to me, they have my undivided attention. I'm gonna borrow writing books, a thesaurus and dictionary for my author work at the library. I have a calculator. I have a phone book. I have an address book. I know how to read a map and will be getting one soon. I brought out my recipe books for the holidays. Holly is gifting me a little boom box and a portable cd player for my birthday. Because sometimes, I just don't want that fucking thing in my hand and I don't want a screen in my damn face. Right now, I have my Italian lesson thing from Duolingo on the website and I don't use it on my phone anymore. And I even have my phone on complete lock for 3 days until my stream and all I can do is receive calls and make calls. And to be honest? It's fucking nice. For me, it's true liberation.

I know this was a lot. But I just wanted to tell someone that I truly have felt the damage that these things due to me. And I have absolutely no problem living without them for most of my life. Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk :)

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Wow, that sounds like it's been a lot to deal with!

The good thing is that with all of those things, you took active steps to try and combat them, which a lot of people don't do 👌

I think it's also a guitarist thing, because our playing life consists of identifying issues and working on them 🤔

I can completely relate to the phone thing for sure. I actually deleted Tiktok off of my phone because I was staying up in bed on it for like 3-4 hours - (and then when I found a hillarious one at 3 in the morning I'd lose it laughing and wake up my fiance 😂)

It's definitely far too easy to scroll the day away. And It's made me realise that for younger generations that have always had smartphones, 80% of their life will be spent on a screen - I always have this awful thought that when they're old and on their deathbed, their life flashes before their eyes and it's mostly things on a screen 😬 It really freaks me out!

Thanks for sharing!

iridecently

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend+
  • Jun 5, 2020
    Groningen
    It's so liberating to figure out what is making you feel like shit and being able to cut that out of your life, whether that be food, technology, thought patterns or even people. Sometimes these things can feel like hypes, but honestly you don't know until you try.

I'm glad to hear you are feeling so much better and that the changes you made are positively influencing your life 😍

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I know you've been hard pushing yourself and you've had lots of ups and downs along the way. It's great to see the hard work is really paying off. Some things to consider reading this story.

1. Everyones body is different. Some bodies may not crave sugar as much or react the same way as someone else. Same with gluten and everything else out there. So don't be afraid to have it in your diet if you believe it helps you. Just make sure you have the proper Information in your research.

2. remember that you'll have to maintain your diet and life style to keep going. I'm sure you already know this part but some people stop.omce they get where they wanna be then it all comes back and fast and that alone is enough to not want to do it all over again. Don't ever let up.

I'm proud of your efforts and with all the bullshit you dealt with through insta hate and jealous bitches you deserve some good news to come your way and stay.

T

TheRedMageGuitarist

I really, COMPLETELY and totally appreciate the love and support from everyone!! You all had such sweet things to say. It definitely has been a big wild ride. But I'm finally feeling like I'm coasting for once in my life and I'm so grateful.

Thank you all for reading this long post and taking the time to comment such supportive and kind things. It means so much to me :)

Radu-Cristian Perde

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Hey Jak, I know that you said that this is your own thoughts and your own life but I don't think that what you are talking about is very healthy to be honest.

Health is a matter of facts not opinion.

Calvin said some very important things that I 100% agree with. And so bouncing from what he said, I have to urge you to stop making health decision based only on articles you read on the internet and books. The body is way too complex and unique to each which is why it must be treated on a case by case basis.

Restrictive diets can be very dangerous if you are not careful, which is why I am urging you to see a dietitian or physician or even a doctor so he can better help you and guide you towards what your body needs. The body needs a lot of different components in order to function and that includes grains and sugar. So taking it all away won't be good for you in the long term because you are depriving your body of things it needs in order to function. I think this becomes a question of managing the quantity of the food you take. Every single thing if taken in excess will become bad for you but that doesn't mean that it's all bad. In fact, with moderation it's probably good for you!

And same thing goes with technology. Technology can do wonder if it's used well and with moderation but when you go at it in excess, then of course it becomes bad. So by taking out technology from your life, you again put yourself into a mode of restriction.

Which then I wonder, can you do that in the longterm? Because here's how it generally goes with all those short term solutions: go on a super fast weight loss diet, lose your weight fast, Get the result you want, decide you don't need restrictions no more and then you go back to your old habits that you haven't broken, gain back all the weight you lost and now you're back to square one. Restrictions are only as good if you can commit to them and control them.

It often comes down to your habits. That includes a good sleeping schedule, good diet, physical exercise, mental well being, etc... If your habits are healthy then the rest will follow. But if your habits are unhealthy, then whatever you do you'll always go back to square one because you haven't fixed the core of the problem. You just went after the consequences of it.

And something else that I have to point out that is really bad is that you read things on the internet, read the symptoms and then suddenly think that it must be it. Sel-diagnosis is dangeorus. Jak, for every symptoms, there are thousands of diseases, condition,etc.. attach to it. Which is why seeing a professional is so important because they can actually help to narrow it down and find the actual cause and give YOU the right tools so you can start to make it better. At the end of the day, it's your responsibility and there is no miracle cure. Taking the decision to be healthy is the hardest decision to take because it's a decision that you have to take every single day. And you gotta renew and maintain it. But eventually, it becomes a habit. And the rest follows.

Look, I know that I seem like I'm coming hard at you. In a way, I am. But it doesn't come from a place of malice. I understand what you are going through. Right now, I am in good shape and I am in a good place. But it wasn't always the case.

IMG_4166.JPG

These are my stretch marks. I have them on both arms, on my hips and probably other places. Truth is, they will never go away. And to be honest? I don't particularly care really. They don't affect me more than that. At best, they serve me as a reminder of where I was and where I am.

I want you to be in better health. I want this for everyone. And health is something that I take very seriously which is why I am, let's say it, brutally honest. But there are things you can't sugarcoat and that need to be said upfront. And since Synner is my responsibility, I have to call out things that I believe could be dangerous for other people and to at least point towards the right direction to get the appropriate help.

Radu

Last edited:
    Synner Endless Summer Collection
    T

TheRedMageGuitarist

Hey Jak, I know that you said that this is your own thoughts and your own life but I don't think that what you are talking about is very healthy to be honest.

Calvin said some very important things that I 100% agree with. And so bouncing from what he said, I have to urge you to stop making health decision based only on articles you read on the internet and books. The body is way too complex and unique to each which is why it must be treated on a case by case basis.

Restrictive diets can be very dangerous if you are not careful, which is why I am urging you to see a dietitian or physician or even a doctor so he can better help you and guide you towards what your body needs. The body needs a lot of different components in order to function and that includes grains and sugar. So taking it all away won't be good for you in the long term because you are depriving your body of things it needs in order to function. I think this becomes a question of managing the quantity of the food you take. Every single thing if taken in excess will become bad for you but that doesn't mean that it's all bad. In fact, with moderation it's probably good for you!

And same thing goes with technology. Technology can do wonder if it's used well and with moderation but when you go at it in excess, then of course it becomes bad. So by taking out technology from your life, you again put yourself into a mode of restriction.

Which then I wonder, can you do that in the longterm? Because here's how it generally goes with all those short term solutions: go on a super fast weight loss diet, lose your weight fast, Get the result you want, decide you don't need restrictions no more and then you go back to your old habits that you haven't broken, gain back all the weight you lost and now you're back to square one. Restrictions are only as good if you can commit to them and control them.

It often comes down to your habits. That includes a good sleeping schedule, good diet, physical exercise, mental well being, etc... If your habits are healthy then the rest will follow. But if your habits are unhealthy, then whatever you do you'll always go back to square one because you haven't fixed the core of the problem. You just went after the consequences of it.

And something else that I have to point out that is really bad is that you read things on the internet, read the symptoms and then suddenly think that it must be it. Sel-diagnosis is dangeorus. Jak, for every symptoms, there are thousands of diseases, condition,etc.. attach to it. Which is why seeing a professional is so important because they can actually help to narrow it down and find the actual cause and give YOU the right tools so you can start to make it better. At the end of the day, it's your responsibility and there is no miracle cure. Taking the decision to be healthy is the hardest decision to take because it's a decision that you have to take every single day. And you gotta renew and maintain it. But eventually, it becomes a habit. And the rest follows.

Look, I know that I seem like I'm coming hard at you. In a way, I am. But it doesn't come from a place of malice. I understand what you are going through. Right now, I am in good shape and I am in a good place. But it wasn't always the case.

View attachment 2403

These are my stretch marks. I have them on both arms, on my hips and probably other places. Truth is, they will never go away. And to be honest? I don't particularly care really. They don't affect me more than that. At best, they serve me as a reminder of where I was and where I am.

I want you to be in better health. I want this for everyone. And health is something that I take very seriously which is why I am, let's say it, brutally honest. But there are things you can't sugarcoat and that need to be said upfront. And since Synner is my responsibility, I have to call out things that I believe could be dangerous for other people and to at least point towards the right direction to get the appropriate help.

Radu
    First and foremost, I want to thank you for being so outwardly honest. I really REALLY do. I was the queen of tough love on this school and I'd be the biggest hypocrite if I always dished it but refused to receive it. If you would have written this to me 3 days ago I would have had a meltdown, felt utterly embarrassed, I would have felt like a failure and like I was wrong again, I would have felt ashamed for my story and would have wanted it removed, and I would have cried and probably begged Alicia to deactivate my account here again. As I told you in a private message, I'm having a severely difficult time adapting here again. It's not been easy for me on an emotional or mental level. But I have been doing a lot of self-searching and trying to grow and be better and stronger, so that's why I'm not doing any of the above. I will admit, I feel really hurt because every time I feel like "Hey, I got a health thing of life that finally works for me" someone else comes along and says "No that's not right. You need to do this instead."
    This has lead me on the path of looking up said articles to see what other people do, to see why I'm failing, and to see why I'm always wrong. I was given a gift by one of my favorite morbidly obesity coaches in the world, and I got one month training from him for free. It truly led me down a path of orthorexia, self-hate, body image issues, and so many other things that I can't even go into.
    When you and Calvin mentioned "Long term ways of life that are sustainable", that was one thing I cried about during that time. I knew it wasn't sustainable. To never eat chocolate again? Pizza either? Come on, everyone on this site knows those are my two food groups I love. I felt like I was sentenced in hell to never being able to enjoy anything in life like that again, and it wasn't good for my mental health.
    Like you said about "gaining the weight back", I did just that. I lost 20lbs in about 5 weeks, but once I couldn't sustain that diet anymore I literally skyrocketed from 225 up to 259 in about a year. Not even kidding.

When you said "I think this becomes a question of managing the quantity of the food you take" really struck me hard in a good way, because I've always had two bowls of cereal not one. Four slices of pizza instead of two. A whole pint of ice cream instead of a serving. But while I do agree with you, I have to stand strong on what I know my body goes through with certain things.

Just ask Holly what happens to me mentally if I have a can of pop. A bowl of ice cream. If you think me raging at you, trying to fight you and then crying my eyes out in misery the next, all while having a rapid mind-racing episode of "I gotta do this and this and this and this" and never feeling at peace, then sugar does affect my mental state or emotional state or physical state and it should be cut out. Not to cut out fruit or fruit juice, or good wholesome milk :) just processed sugar.
    I take it like an alcoholic. Some people can have three beers and they're happy drunks. But some people can't even have a beer or they turn into a monster. When I have sugar, I turn into a horrible mental case and my body hurts.
    Also, the thing about "having it in moderation" is something I understand 100%. But I know for a fact I'm not responsible enough to keep it in the house. Have a hazelnut latte out with my friend is great! But I can't keep pies in the house or I will go on a binge and eat the whole thing, and I can't stop eating that day. When I have excess sugar, my body is never satisfied and we go back to the "eating in decent quantities" matter :)

Now grain is a different story. When I cut out grain and sugar completely, I will admit and agree with you that I felt really good, but some things just felt a little off. I was worried that because of cutting out so much stuff, my fiber was lacking and therefor I never felt satiated, or even my B vitamins were slacking. In my opinion, if you ever change your eating habits to a method where it requires supplements instead of wholesome food, that's not a good idea. Except for magnesium. I take a magnesium supplement because that shit is almost impossible to get from food.

Grain I've been a little bit more lenient on. But I've learned what grains really fuck me up and which ones don't. However, once you go grain free for several months, the moment you eat that one slice of bread, for me I felt the headache kick in almost immediately. Some grains don't do it, like wild rice. Also certain legumes don't effect me either. So I've been a bit more lenient with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
    • Love
    Reactions: Dark & Twisty KyFe
    T

TheRedMageGuitarist

View attachment 2403

Radu
    As far as the technology goes, I know there are techies who just thrive on technology and technology is a part of their daily lives. That's what they do. But for me, it doesn't make me feel happy. It just doesn't. it never has. Well, at least some of it. I'm not going back to the stone age, but right now I'm trying to find ways to cut some of it out of my life that just isn't necessary. I think we should differentiate between "technology" and "obsessive browsing and mindless scrolling." For me right now, I'm trying to work on finding my perfect balance, as you kind of talked about. I'm not saying I'm deleting all social media and I'm going to start sending snail mail, (although some people really love the cards and letters I send them :D ) but it's just...

Radu I'm tired. I'm tired of things being in my face. I'm tired of always having to wonder where my phone is or I can't function without it. I'm tired of feeling obligated that I HAVE to have a social media account and check it constantly because I may miss a message from a friend instead of them just texting me or calling me. I'm tired of the rat race that technology and things make me feel like I just can't keep up. I'm tired of getting on a path and then someone else comes along and says "that's the wrong path, go this way instead."

I know it may not have seemed like it, but in my post I am trying to find balances that do work for me. I'm not saying I'm never going to have cake at a party again. But like there are some alcoholics where they just can't stop once they start, and that's kind of like me.

I tried going to a dietician a few times. Both of them wanted me to cut out all meat completely. I went vegetarian for 3 months and almost had to go to the hospital. I can't do that again. I asked my doctor about it and she tried to put me on a low-fat diet. I was absolutely miserable. My stomach always hurt, and I was always hungry. Also when you say "health is a matter of facts, not opinions." Facts are no longer facts depending on who you ask. I could ask 100 doctors if red meat is healthy for you and they will provide scientific studies all proving different answers. And that's where I just have tried to feel what works best for MY body :)

But I will keep in mind what you said. And you need to know how much I love you SOOOOO much for the honest truth, and thank you so much for sharing such personal information with me. I'm glad you are in a much BETTER place :)

• Love
    Okay, coming from somebody who lives with j a k i want to make something very clear here. Nowhere in this post and in fact, she clearly stated in the disclaimer that she is not suggesting that other people take her advice and do what she did. So I want to make that clear, not sure if that's what you were implying at the end of your message but let's make that clear and not kind of throw arrows at somebody who never told or encouraged anybody to do anything that she did.
    Secondly, coming from somebody who did take pathology courses and also took nutritional courses in college, health is factual, which means it does vary from Human to human. But no human can get perfect solid advice from a doctor, there is a reason why people have second opinions. In this case, she has had 3rd 4th and 5th opinions.
    When you have adverse reactions to specific foods, it is actually encouraged to avoid them there is a reason why doctors encourage elimination diets. They do this to figure out what can affect your body genetically. What I mean by that, is that certain genetics can be affected by certain foods.
    Coming from somebody who does have autoimmune issues and has adverse reactions to grain, grain which means specific grains such as corn, rye, wheat and so on and so on. Grain also constitutes a soy and other things. There's a specific protein that can affect people hence the book she mentioned above. Sugars can affect people in so many different ways in this case, I live with her I see her on a daily basis I see how sugar affects her. It affects her mental state and it affects her physical state.
    Sugar 100% and that means added sugars as in processed sugars affect metabolic rate and metabolism. That is a scientific fact. So in some people it can make them gain excessive weight, it can make them retain water, it can mess with their hormones and so much more. Hormones dictate almost everything in the body. Cutting out processed sugar is definitely not going to the be the bane of somebody's existence. I can tell you you can get sugars from fruits and vegetables and other things, you do not need processed sugars in your life, that's a scientific fact also.
    So, in all of this I'm going to give some tough love, there will always be people out there who have specific ways of life that benefit them specifically, but to tell somebody that perhaps they need to do everything in moderation does not work for every person, a therapist, a psychologist and even a doctor will tell somebody that. Moderation is not always for everyone. That, is a fact. It is a fact because no two humans are the same that's the beauty of humans. But, I think doing what she is doing is a very healthy thing to do, if it is what will make her feel as though she is getting accomplished what she needs to out of her life without the distractions and the physical compromise she is getting due to these things then I say go for it. These things are not harmful to her, she is not taking drugs, she's not drinking alcohol, she is not doing any self harm. She still eats potatoes, she still eats cassava, she's still eats fruits and vegetables. This is not an unhealthy thing to do. In fact, in the 21st century this kind of lifestyle is quite popular. This is the glory, we learn more as we advance. so I don't think there's anything wrong with this post specifically. At all, all I can say is I just don't want somebody to take her post as her encouraging other people to do exactly what she said, that's not at all what she was stating. So I'm not sure if that's how somebody took it or perhaps you took it but I hope that that's not the case because I don't think that's what she was doing.
    Anyway, it's wonderful to see so many people popping in and putting their input in. Lots of love and lots of encouragement and that's all we need right now. But anyway big hugs to everyone

Radu-Cristian Perde

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Okay so I'm not going to answer back point by point because my job isn't to come here and to argue. I stand by everything I said and I completely agree that the body is unique and that it must be treated on a case by case basis. Good for you if you already have seen a doctor and I'm sorry it didn't work out.

Look, if it works for you, by all means do whatever you want! Your life is your own to do whatever you want. You don't need to justify yourself to me.

With that being said, I stand by everything I said:
    - Self Diagnosis isn't something you should do.
    - Restrictions if can't be maintained in the long term don't lead very far.
    - Restrictive diets if not done right can cause health issues.
    - There is no miracle cure that will heal it all.
    - Good healthy habits must be reinforced.
    - A good doctor's opinion is important (I'm adding the ''good'' part because I know some can be bad but I do believe it's a minority)

Yes, there was a disclaimer at the beginning. But the disclaimer still doesn't make the following statement Jak made any less dangerous that promotes some dangerous habits. I don't know your life story, I don't know you personally, I don't know why everything else you tried before didn't work out and I cannot know that because there are so many missing pieces from your own life but also from the doctors you saw's perspective and I can't sit here and take both of your perspective as absolute truth because it's not that simple.

Jak, you had inquiries when we did the meeting on SynTv about what would I do if there would be someone coming on stream and start talking about subjects that could be dangerous and where they are not qualified to talk about. May this be a testament of how seriously I take what comes through Synner.

Now I am not saying that you are not allowed to voice your opinion: You absolutely are.
    Or that you cannot talk about subjects you are not an expert on: You absolutely can!
    The goal still remains for this to be a platform to learn and share and where free expression is maintained.
    But that doesn't mean that me or anyone for that matter cannot come and express concerns or instill some warnings about the validity of a claim.

I appreciate the time you put in in answering but just know again that I am not here to argue and so I am moving on. A friendly reminder to not take any of my statement as coming from a place of malice or indifference but from a place of care.

Have a great evening Ladies.

T

TheRedMageGuitarist

I'm really confused. First you tell me that I'm allowed to voice my opinion. But then I just opened up my opinion on something I learned that helped me and you're saying that what I am talking about is dangerous to this community.

I am not enforcing anything on anyone. And I was the one who asked about teaching things we were not we're not certified to teach in Syntructor so please understand that was already a concern of mine, people teaching things they shouldn't be. But I'm not trying to teach anything. I was also told that on SynTV it was a livestream about us and our lives and anything we wanted to talk about. And now suddenly I feel like if I was to mention this my channel would probably be Canceled because I would be considered a threat and a danger to this community.

This is exactly why I keep telling you I feel like I'm having a hard time fitting back in here and expressing myself. It has been nothing but a headache on every post I make of somebody taking something too personal and I am considered being a danger to this community now.

It feels like a new rule just popped up. We were told that we could express ourselves. I literally have no idea where me talking about how cutting out grain and cutting out sugar has helped my mental state and my physical state is a danger to this community. Either we have free speech here or we don't. I'm not talking about promoting anorexia and I'm not talking about promoting self harm. And yes I'm taking this personally because I was so excited to share this with the community and I cannot believe the community leader himself had the audacity to tell me that I was being a danger to this community.

• Sad
    There was no promotion of anything though radu, that's where your misunderstanding there is no promotion no where in her statement did she state that people need to do this. I think that's on your end buddy. Calling her a danger to the community is pretty extreme at best if we're going to talk about extremes. I don't want to argue, but I'm going to be real with you it was really extreme to say that. This is her personal experience. There's a difference between somebody voicing their personal experience and how they handle it and then somebody trying to Market something and sell it off to somebody else as a certified information. This is an anecdotal situation of her personal life and her personal journey. People do personal journeys all the time online without certifications. This is not a harm to anybody in the community. They can read her story and take of it what they will. But placing that kind of title on her like she's some kind of threat to somebody like she's harming people is ridiculous. I'm actually kind of really sad to hear you say that. I love this community, but I'm not going to be in a community where I'm going to be restricted on what I now can say. Because I'm not a certified nutrition but I went to school and learned nutrition for at least a year. I have more credentials than probably a vast few people in here. Nothing in her statement said anything about promoting a diet. This is for her and her alone.
    She's not being anorexic. She's not telling people not to eat, she's not telling people not to have anything, she's talking about what works for her specifically.

• Love
    Well, Alicia I'm going to be very real right now. Again, I know a lot of people get sick of me " " being real but I'm going to be as real as I can and as gentle as I can. I thought it was extremely and rudely disrespectful what Radu said. It was unnecessary. What is the point of telling people they need to put disclaimers if the disclaimer is completely disregarded for an opinion. Rado himself is not a certified nutritionist nor is he a mental health expert nor is he a doctor. His opinion on what is quote unquote healthy or not is subjective. It's one thing to place your opinion and put it out there, that's completely fine, but to come there as a community leader and tell somebody they are a danger simply for expressing what they felt worked for them as a path of health is in my opinion ridiculous. There were no semantics until that statement was made. I want to leave it alone, but I'm not going to lie I'm actually really angered by this.

Put it this way alicia, think about it he just publicly sat there and told somebody publicly on a thread post that what she said, which if you go back and read it I'm sorry there's nothing dangerous about it think about this, he put that out there publicly and now everyone will read that and assume that Jack is some kind of dangerous person. Think about that for 1 minute. That just put Jack's reputation yet again, in a negative light. But nobody will see that, because well he's the community leader, so that's like being God right? So you can do no wrong. Maybe I'm being rude and sarcastic now, but I'm sorry there gets to be a point when disrespect is disrespect

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Just gonna day this here.

I'm finding heated topics and opinions are not being dealt with properly. If you think something is going to be a heated situation simply close the thread. Replying with a 2nd opinion then saying "oh btw I'm not trying to upset you here" when you knew very well you're setting an example with the person you were talking to.

Its be better to close the thread and PM the person. This isnt fair to the posted absolutely. You wonder why I publically make statements you want in a PM then you publically embarass someones like this. I dont vlame jak for the division she made. I would have done the same.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I'm stepping in here. And then I'm locking the fucking thread (because Calvin is right - we try to allow too much without locking shit down).

Bottom line here - We are the admin team, hand-picked by Syn to handle this in his name. If we decide something is inappropriate for here, IT IS. We're generally pretty loose about shit, but we need to be better about locking shit down when it's appropriate to. And when anyone starts arguing with us about how we do our jobs, we're overdue. That's not censorship. That's not being "canceled." It's MANAGEMENT, and it's our job.

Second, Radu countered Jak's opinion with his own. Don't start a thread about a topic if you're not open to healthy debate and disagreement about it. Disagreement, differing opinions, and different perspectives are NOT personal attacks, unless they're worded that way.

We got several messages from concerned members of the community about this post - including that it could send a dangerous message to someone impressionable. With all the body image pressures facing young people, especially young girls, that's a real and genuine concern, as we have a lot of young people on this site. WE TAKE THAT SERIOUSLY.

Saying a MESSAGE is dangerous is NOT the same thing as saying a PERSON is.

This thread is locked. Anyone has anything more to say about it, PM me. If you just want to complain about it, don't expect me to blow sunshine up your ass as a response.

Status
    Not open for further replies.