• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

LAST pieces of advice regarding new guitar

Ben Thorpe

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Sup, it’s been a while since I last posted. I’m close to buying my new guitar, I want to tune down to drop B tuning and just need some reminders and last pieces of advice, which I know plenty of you have given me in the past. Anything would be greatly appreciated! My main questions are:
1) Would it be better to buy a guitar with all of the necessary modifications already installed, or buy a guitar and THEN make the neccesary modifications?
2) What are the necessary modifications to tune below drop C (bridge, string gauge etc)?
2) Are there any guitar brands that you would recommend?
3) Advice on keeping the price point relatively affordable (ideally less than £300).
I don’t have any major specifications, I simply want to buy a new guitar that can be tuned beneath drop C. If anyone has any advice they could give me regarding any of these questions it would be greatly appreciated! 🙂

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Hi Ben!
    Honestly, I’m unaware of “Drop B” being a typical tuning. Drop C is common, but below that is usually B standard, which is a baritone guitar, or 7 string. If you’re sticking with 6-stringers, look for a baritone. It will have a longer scale (frets spaced wider apart) that better facilitates tuning stability on lower tunings like that. With a baritone guitar, there are a lot of guys who will do a Drop A tuning.
    Reverb has many options to look through.
    https://reverb.com/marketplace/electric-guitars/baritone

J

Jak Angelescu

I agree with Ed. You’re definitely gonna wanna look into a baritone guitar. They are built to sustain that kind of heavy tuning and strings. From my experience with Heavy gauged strings, they can put a lot of tension on the neck. And even make the guitar neck bow too much. However because you are drop tuning I don’t think you would have that kind of a problem. Yet if you go with a baritone guitar and decide to go just a 1/2 step down in standard, it’ll be built to take the heat and tension. But I think one going that low, there are many guitarists that strictly go to a baritone guitar for that purpose. Mostly because they are built for that. I think you will save yourself a lot of grief and questioning in the long run if you just get a baritone guitar as it is. 🙂🙂