• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Learning different instruments

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I've always been kinda into learning how to play multiple instruments. Piano has always been at the top of my list and lately I've been thinking about adding drums and bass to that too. So I'm planning to get a piano, electric drum kit and a bass after I graduate and move into a bigger living space.

Let's ignore mandolin and lute for a moment.

Basically, what I've been wondering is whether being able to play guitar will aid me in learning those other instruments. I'm not ready looking for shortcuts or anything I just got curious whether learning one instrument makes learning another instrument easier 😅

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Two things I wanna learn. Drums just so i dont need my brother since he'd the real drummer.

The other is also piano. I had one as a child and wore it out playing it everyday. I haven't had one since. And after watching Rick beatos videos I really want one to play and write on. Just a bitch to get cause they are massive.

Reactions: Aquamandy

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    I just recently picked up a piano a month or so ago! Been an interesting learning experience so far haha. A few things I've noticed. My left hand has a lot easier of a time in the transition from guitar to piano compared to my right hand. I'd guess this is due to my time with guitar. Another thing I've found is that even in this short period of time my ear has gotten better at picking out albeit simple parts from songs I enjoy. A few pieces being the main melody of Fiction by A7X, the clean intro in Harvester of Sorrow, a small part of the clean riff in Soothsayer by Buckethead, part of "The Ellie Badge", and I've gotten most of the main melody to Fur Elise down. I'm pretty surprised/happy with how far along I've gotten on my ear alone after a month. My finger dexterity has a lot of room for improvement but it's getting almost noticeably better by the week. Finding the notes is a hell of a lot easier on piano than guitar to say the least, especially if you change tunings frequently like me.

Will being a good guitarist make you a better beginner pianist at first? Maybe. Your finger dexterity will probably be a bit further ahead of someone who has no experience using their fingers like one would with an instrument. You'll still go through the awkward beginning like everyone does but maybe for not as long. Your theory knowledge will come in very handy though. I'm about to dig in and start attempting to learn theory via piano soon. Honestly I'm very happy I've picked up piano. When I picked up guitar I ended up broadening my musical horizons quite a bit and started listening to a lot more music that was guitar related. I'm noticing the same trend happening with piano as well.

I'd also really like to pickup a bass and e-drum kit as well but I currently lack the space for an e-drum kit. I had to rearrange most of my room just to fit the full size digital piano and stand in. I'd probably have to turn into an olympic level gymnast to get out of bed everyday if I tried to fit a kit in here haha. Guys like Cliff Burton, Jason Newsted, and Les Claypool being the big reasons I want to pickup bass, as well as being able to learn the songwriting process for bass and how a bassist would play in a band setting whether playing under the guitarist or syncing up with the drummer.

Anyway, if you're thinking of picking up piano and have the funds to reasonably purchase it without going into debt, along with having the space/the ability to shift stuff around to make space. Go for it! I'm very happy I finally picked one up after 6 months of debating back and forth along with going over the pros and cons.

AdLeIaVdE

• Jan 11, 2021
    Germany
    For me, the guitar is the second instrument I am learning, the first being the piano. Sadly, I haven’t played it for a really long time. Still, I noticed the piano helps me understand concepts better - especially when it comes to music theory. Just thinking in “piano keys” instead of “guitar strings” makes somethings easier for me to understand. Even though I still have to translate it back to “guitar”, I do believe it is easier than starting from scratch.
    So all in all I do believe that you have a slight advantage when learning your second instrument.

Plus, when you transition form guitar to piano you do have the advantage to have a trained left hand, as @Donovan Etue pointed out. When I started out with piano I always struggled with my left hand, due to me being right handed (in addition to struggling with the F-clef).

I wish you a lot of fun with whatever Instrument you’re going to learn next, in the end their all great choices. In my experience being a motivated student and having fun while practicing is still the best advantage you can get.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Aquamandy

• Feb 22, 2021
    Brazil
    Nice! I've always wanted to learn other instruments, especially bass, as I think it has a strong connection to the drums so I would like to understand it better, but I barely have time to improve on only one instrument so at least for now I don't think I'll start playing another one 😹🤷‍♀️
    Good luck on your journey! I think that learning to play several instruments will help you in understanding music from different prospects, and also give you a certain musical independence, which is really cool! :cool:

Reactions: idssdi

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    For me, the guitar is the second instrument I am learning, the first being the piano. Sadly, I haven’t played it for a really long time. Still, I noticed the piano helps me understand concepts better - especially when it comes to music theory. Just thinking in “piano keys” instead of “guitar strings” makes somethings easier for me to understand. Even though I still have to translate it back to “guitar”, I do believe it is easier than starting from scratch.
    So all in all I do believe that you have a slight advantage when learning your second instrument.

Plus, when you transition form guitar to piano you do have the advantage to have a trained left hand, as @Donovan Etue pointed out. When I started out with piano I always struggled with my left hand, due to me being right handed (in addition to struggling with the F-clef).

I wish you a lot of fun with whatever Instrument you’re going to learn next, in the end their all great choices. In my experience being a motivated student and having fun while practicing is still the best advantage you can get.
    I've heard learning piano helps in every instrument. It makes sense the way the keys are laid out. I wish 8 never stopped playing but I doubt my parents could afford new keyboard every year for a 4 yeaR old lol