• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Learning Only Solos and How It's Doing You More Harm Than Good

J

Jak Angelescu

Hey everyone! I really really really REAAAAALLLLYYYY hope this doesn’t cause a riff between my fellow students and I. But as you all know I only say things out of true love for everyone on here to become the best players they could ever dream of becoming.
As usual, I am browsing through the “create a riff” page and I am seeing 99% lead playing, and of that amount, roughly 85% of it are students covering only solos of a song. Yes solos make us feel good about ourselves, but I keep trying to stress that guitar playing is not all about lead. And playing lead actually has a LOT to do with rhythm as well. I’d like to share with you all some personal experiences as to why I’d like to encourage everyone to learn and play the entire song of a cover and not just the solo.
I learned all of Hail To the King before I even dabbed into the solo. I learned the rhythm part as well for the solo section. When I got comfortable with it, I learned the solo and practiced ONLY the solo for roughly a year. Then I went to go play the song together and my stamina completely crapped out and I had to slow everything down AGAIN to build up the endurance to do the whole song.
So in all essence, when you just learn the solo and play the solo you can’t really actually play the song. And it’s not really doing anything for you. If a band called you up and said, “Hey, we are short a guitarist and need someone to fill in, can you do it?” You won’t be able to last during the entirety of the setlist.
Also, learning the rhythm part helps you get the groove, the feel, and even the key signature of the song. So when you DO go to learn the solo, you’ll understand why certain scales sound great over the chords you’re playing. If being a lead guitarist is your dream, you should be able to understand the chords you’re playing over. Otherwise jamming and writing with a band is going to be a nightmare.
Another example I’d like to give is from me playing one of my own songs. My rhythm work is very intense because I compensated my lack of lead ability with excessive rhythm, and by the time I had to do a 16th note run at 142BPMs and went into the solo, I had NOTHING left in my right hand to do it because it was soooo fatigued from the other parts of the song.
There’s a reason why Syn is as good as he is. He’s not just a lead guitarist. He understands what Zacky is playing and has the endurance to pull off things like The Stage, God Hates Us, and all these other songs for a 90 minute setlist. Also, Syn didn’t spend his time learning other people’s songs. Playing all of Syn’s solos only improves your technique, but doesn’t actually improve your knowledge of the guitar (if that makes sense).
I’d like to encourage all the students to learn the entirety of the songs of the solos they’re covering. Then break the solo down for us. Tell us what techniques the solo uses and scales (ex. a descending triplet legato run in E phrygian and it goes into chromatics right here). I’m going to start doing it as well because I learned a lot of scales that were being used in Hail To The King. Let’s all be consciously aware of what we’re doing the best we can! It’ll only make us better in the long run. You don’t want to sell yourself short.
Keep up the good work, guys! I’m so proud of you all!

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
So right, even when writing music, I dont even think about lead or solos until I have the original rhythm pattern down. Then through that I usually hear the melody over top in my head.. and we go from there. Rare times the melodies come first, but thats a very rare occasion.
Like I said before playing breakdowns is just as much fun as solos. Get your crowd moving before you tear into that face melting solo.

Sayonil Mitra

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
So true. There is so much happening in the rhythm section, even in the bass section to be honest. we can do some really cool rhythm covers or overall guitar covers to be honest. Solos are tempting of course. I admit that I often have done this although being rhythm guitarist at my heart. I think, why not we some of us post something other than just a solo cover. Maybe just the rhythm guitar cover? And honestly, the things Zacky does in certain songs is mind blowing (the reason behind my tribute to both of them as a pair). Nightmare tops my list of favs in rhythm work.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    When I was starting out there was no instant gratification with YouTube. You had to get into a band to get any kind of audience. Ripping a solo might get you in the door for the audition, but if you couldn’t play the SONG, you were useless.
    There’s a lesson there for anyone who wants to be more than a YouTuber.
    I’m probably going to pick and record a nice Dad Rock cover soon.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I did this instrumental version of Queensryche’s “I don’t Believe in Love” as a demo foundation with a singer I was working with. Unfortunately, shortly after I finished this quick tracking, she wound up moving away. She still may come back and sing it, but here it is instrumentally in all it’s glory. Drums are EZDrummer and the bass is a MIDI track lifted from a Guitar Pro version, with a solid bass plugin, the name of which I can’t recall. All guitars are recorded direct through AxeFXII XL+ with my own presets, using my PRS C24, sometime in December or January, I think. I’d learned the song many, many years ago, but I had to relearn it, and also learn the harmony parts and the rhythm under the solo to get it all right. All rhythm tracks are single takes, as is the solo.

Jake Young

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    I agree with Jak about 120%!..but I am gonna sorta play Devils advocate a bit… If playing solos is the only thing that really lights a fire inside of you and makes you pick up that guitar on a daily basis or every other day or even weekly, then by all means DO IT!! Will it make you a well rounded guitar player?..absolutely not..but if you’re the person who only wants to play Han solo’s, you already know this. If you only wanna play rhythm, or play only power cords, or write one note songs, or only play behind your back, or set around and play purple princesses fart pixie dust all day long..DO IT!! As long as you feel passionate about it..DO IT!! That’s the thing with guitar..or even this thing called life in general, but I digress..you have to do what makes you happy..and if it makes you happy, you’ll keep coming back. Guitar is awesome in the sense that’s it’s endless!! To me..that’s the beauty of it!! Set goals..set expectations rather big or small..as long as you have something you’re trying to achieve..you’re winning!!! I’m always saying..with guitar- there are no real rules- only guidelines! all I’m really trying to say is…JUST PLAY!

J

Jak Angelescu

I agree with you 100% Jake! But the only thing that I’d like to cap on that is that learning solos tends to be more difficult if you don’t understand why they are the way they are. Which the rhythm has 100% to do with that. It also helps a lot with the feel of a solo. So yes, I do think that whatever someone wants to do, doing it at all is awesome! But I feel that if you even do it as a hobby, I’m sure everyone can agree that you would feel great to be good at it to some degree. I think actually putting good effort in to something makes us feel amazing in itself.🤗🤗

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jake Young

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    I really totally agree with everything you’ve said here!! For reallll! After I posted what I said, I went back to edit in something along the lines of “if you’re even the slightest bit serious about guitar, go with Jak’s advice” but it was too late for an edit. I’m totally with you though! But just the idea of someone wanting to do something with a guitar in general brings joy to my heart!