• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

LEAVING FEEDBACK ON RIFF VIDEOS

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    I can’t speak for everyone, but the reason I post and have always posted in the riffs section was so that I could get honest feedback. It’s one thing to write a forum and say what you’re having difficulties with, but it’s another thing to be able to show your hands and what they are doing. Ive not been playing very long so I know I need lots and lots of works, and all of the advice I have gotten here has helped so much ! Jak, Dom, Ids, and Ed have always given me solid advice and I’ve never gotten offended.
    though I understand many being afraid they will hurt others, but again it’s how you word things.
    if you just type “damnit you fucking suck you should do____” yeahhh someone will get pissed and you would be an asshole for sure.

I myself have shied away from giving “advice” because I don’t feel like I’ve been doing it long enough to give any actual help, but I know that’s not true. And I’ll make more of an effort to help where I can for my newbies 🙂

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Thanks for bringing this up @Jak Angelescu! It's something I know I need to start doing👌

In terms of giving feedback - As someone who teaches for a living - I think it's really important how you give it if you want someone to take it onboard - sometimes brutally honest can have the opposite effect and people just back right off 😂 (not that I prefer telling someone something's great when it's not) A lot of people, especially beginners, just need that nudge in the right direction or to be told the things they actually are doing good, 'cause there will be so many things to pick out about their playing at that level - which might be overwhelming to them. But yeah if someone gets defensive over a constructive comment then it's totally up to them and nobody elses issue 😂

G

Gemma G.S.

I'm 100% not qualified to GIVE feedback, at this point, but I will say that as a beginner I welcome any and all constructive criticism that comes my way. How will I improve if certain things I might be doing wrong or not doing at all aren't pointed out, and I sit there either just getting praise or getting no comment whatsoever, y'know? 😅

TheTroller

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 16, 2020
    I'm 100% not qualified to GIVE feedback, at this point, but I will say that as a beginner I welcome any and all constructive criticism that comes my way. How will I improve if certain things I might be doing wrong or not doing at all aren't pointed out, and I sit there either just getting praise or getting no comment whatsoever, y'know? 😅

I'm not really for such a narrowed down definition of 'qualification'. I've seen people who've been playing fifteen years butcher solos such as Afterlife or Through the Fire and the Flames, when they can play any classic rock, eighties metal, etc solo nearly perfectly. I think that it comes down to one's area of strength. I.e., if I can analyze some particular aspect of a video, then I would regard myself as 'qualified' to critique it and provide feedback. A shred legend with twenty years of experience could completely suck at classical guitar and be corrected by a two year beginner.

G

Gemma G.S.

I'm not really for such a narrowed down definition of 'qualification'. I've seen people who've been playing fifteen years butcher solos such as Afterlife or Through the Fire and the Flames, when they can play any classic rock, eighties metal, etc solo nearly perfectly. I think that it comes down to one's area of strength. I.e., if I can analyze some particular aspect of a video, then I would regard myself as 'qualified' to critique it and provide feedback. A shred legend with twenty years of experience could completely suck at classical guitar and be corrected by a two year beginner.

A fair point that I hadn't considered!

Reactions: Chris Johnston
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Kat the metalhead

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 20, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    This goes out to everyone. If you feel your a beginner and not ready to give advice or criticism that’s totally ok! Just focus on improving your skills and not even worry about other people just focus on yourself. For people who can give good advice or criticism and are worried your gonna offend or get people mad I feel the person you gave advice to is at loss, if someone gets mad at your criticism it’s not your fault you shouldn’t feel sad or scared just remember you tried to help and did a much needed thing for improvement. I’d also like to mention I’d love to get some honest advice or criticism! I can handle it I may get sad or annoyed but it’s part of improving

Last edited:

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    1. New people dunno how to leave feedback? It's easy.. just tell them something that you liked or stood out to you. Maybe it was a bend. Or a series of notes you thought was impressive. Doesnt need to be detailed. Its mainly a confidence boost (I liked how you slid up to that bend rather then just bending it). Same way the other way.

2. Nothing wrong with negative and constructive criticism. Some people know how to give it others fail pretty bad at it. People dont get offended by the advice.. its more the wording that may set them off. Language barrier applies here. All I can say is if you have something constructive to say.. try to not make it sound so blunt maybe try to let then know "nicely." I'd focus merely on technique and not on silly stuff like tuning or whatever.

3. Peoples responses. Some people do get offended. Some people like to explain themselves. If a technique is told to be incorrect.. tell them why.. or they arent gonna know why. And are gonna think you just told them they suck for no reason. In my case.. I would explain why I thought my technique was good for me. Simply explain why yours is better. It's not someone being offended.. it's someone analyzing every angle before realizing the correct choice.

Example.. I was told for my this to tuck my fingers. I couldn't do it. Frustrated many people cause they thought I wasnt listening. I was actually building strength. I fisted open and let my fingers away when I palm muted. The more I did it the easier it was to keep the fist. Baby steps. Pretty easy transition once I worked at it. Never gonna be done in a day. I had many people get upset that I "wasnt listening or taking afvice" when on reality I was trying to adapt in the fly. Made conscience choices. And in the end got me where I was sent to go.

Honestly as simple as "I hear you on why you do it this way. But here's why I do it this way and why I think you should try." Some people have a different learning method. And arent gonna get it right away. Some people were taught themselves and got used to it. While I admit getting offended would be the players issue. I dont think they really are offended all the time. Quite honestly the only time I really got offended here was when the only thing people could tell me I was doing wrong was tuning my guitar. Which quite honestly is my last concern when learning new solos and techniques. Any other time for me.. I was simply trying to explain myself. 9f you think others are like me when you give your criticism.. maybe on them and ask them what they meant by their response instead of naturally assuming this guy doesnt listen to anyone. You'll find out a lot more then you realize like "maybe theres a reason." And this goes both ways.. if you cant figure out what the comment says.. ask.

I always did one thing i thought you could work on. one thing I liked. Didn't need to be big. Just enough to compliment the video. And if something is pretty iffy or needs massive improvements.. try not to break it hard .. pick one or 2 things out. Dont wanna over whelm them by saying everything is bad. Maybe start with the scales. That's what helped me first. Fingering became easier once you knew the tone sounds. Bends and slides come into play easier too.

That is all I really have to say in this matter. I merely only responded because I know this is partly directed my way (many examples referring to me here) and I wanted to supply my opinion so others do not end up like me.

Reactions: Ed Seith and Kim