• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

LEAVING FEEDBACK ON RIFF VIDEOS

J

Jak Angelescu

Whats up everyone? I'm gonna make this very quick. After today I realized that there are a lot of students that are not getting feedback on their videos that they desperately need. I spent an hour talking with a student today who had a mental breakdown because they thought they did good on their video and they were confused when I told them all the things they did wrong and needed to improve. Most importantly, they were confused why nobody in this school told them before. Rowan has also come to me with the same issue.

We need to start being more proactive in looking out for our fellow students. I really would like to see people being open and honest with leaving feedback in the riff section. I remember when I asked people here "why did nobody tell me my bends were off pitch?" And Ids verbatim told me it's because he Thought I already knew.

There are students on here that have been here for 2 years making the same mistakes because nobody is telling them they need to fix their mistakes. If you don't hear any mistakes or you don't know what to say that's one thing. But if you are a seasoned player and you're watching the videos please leave an honest feedback comment.

Great work on our first Synner Saturday everyone! I loved watching them all and leaving feedback for you!!

TheTroller

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Nov 16, 2020
Whats up everyone? I'm gonna make this very quick. After today I realized that there are a lot of students that are not getting feedback on their videos that they desperately need. I spent an hour talking with a student today who had a mental breakdown because they thought they did good on their video and they were confused when I told them all the things they did wrong and needed to improve. Most importantly, they were confused why nobody in this school told them before. Rowan has also come to me with the same issue.

We need to start being more proactive in looking out for our fellow students. I really would like to see people being open and honest with leaving feedback in the riff section. I remember when I asked people here "why did nobody tell me my bends were off pitch?" And Ids verbatim told me it's because he Thought I already knew.

There are students on here that have been here for 2 years making the same mistakes because nobody is telling them they need to fix their mistakes. If you don't hear any mistakes or you don't know what to say that's one thing. But if you are a seasoned player and you're watching the videos please leave an honest feedback comment.

Great work on our first Synner Saturday everyone! I loved watching them all and leaving feedback for you!!
Maximum dunning kruger effect. Brutal.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I think it’s hard to navigate who needs to be told these things. A lot of times people get defensive or take it the wrong way when you try to help in those ways. And you also don’t want to come off as a picky jerk either. Sometimes people post things, and I’m sure they’re proud of it, and then you’re the party pooper when you point out weak spots. I think it can just be awkward, and it’s hard to know who can handle and wants critique unless they specifically ask for it. Not that it’s happened to me on here specifically, this is just in general.
    It is something we've tried hard to foster here on THIS SITE since the beginning, so the culture of feedback is definitely better here than on just about any other guitar education site I've seen. Certainly any free one.

[DELETED]

Campfire Attention Holder
    Nov 11, 2019
    It is something we've tried hard to foster here on THIS SITE since the beginning, so the culture of feedback is definitely better here than on just about any other guitar education site I've seen. Certainly any free one.
    I would hope so, other places can be rough lol. Especially since on here it’s mostly beginners and such that want to progress. Still though, it can be awkward to judge or critique. I’d also recommend those who make videos to ask for critique to let others know they’re very open to it. And those who critique should find the best way to say it, and private message it if necessary.

TheTroller

Nov 16, 2020
    I think it’s hard to navigate who needs to be told these things. A lot of times people get defensive or take it the wrong way when you try to help in those ways. And you also don’t want to come off as a picky jerk either. Sometimes people post things, and I’m sure they’re proud of it, and then you’re the party pooper when you point out weak spots. I think it can just be awkward, and it’s hard to know who can handle and wants critique unless they specifically ask for it. Not that it’s happened to me on here specifically, this is just in general.

Some critiques fail to take into account factors such as audio quality, to be honest. I also think that there's a difference between poor fretting technique and poor hand synchronization.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

TheTroller

Nov 16, 2020
    Higher quality amps and recording devices are better at filtering out all of the ugly sounds, such as amplifier buzz, etc. If you watch videos of Malmsteen from the late eighties, you can sometimes hear a buzz when he finishes his licks or pulls off a bend.

Reactions: Jak Angelescu

TheTroller

Nov 16, 2020
    Higher quality amps and recording devices are better at filtering out all of the ugly sounds, such as amplifier buzz, etc. If you watch videos of Malmsteen from the late eighties, you can sometimes hear a buzz when he finishes his licks or pulls off a bend.
    Then some modern neck beard prog elitist in an unknown band will critique the tone and say the playing is sloppy

J

Jak Angelescu

I agree 100%. However I feel if somebody gets emotional or gets offended because you're trying to help that's their problem. God forbid they'd ever work with a producer or another band mate.

J

Jak Angelescu

It is for sure far better. But I'll watch 20 videos a day and see a majority of people giving help in the forums when someone asks a question but not giving feedback on riffs. We should work harder to make it better balanced

TheTroller

Nov 16, 2020
    I agree 100%. However I feel if somebody gets emotional or gets offended because you're trying to help that's their problem. God forbid they'd ever work with a producer or another band mate.
    That reminds me of that hilarious video with Kirk Hammett and Bob Rock where he throws a temper tantrum because he can't play a riff with an open string.

• Haha
    Reactions: carlosmqr
    J

Jak Angelescu

Some critiques fail to take into account factors such as audio quality, to be honest. I also think that there's a difference between poor fretting technique and poor hand synchronization.
    THIS IS EVERYTHING. Some people will comment on video quality. It's like bro, not everyone is trying to be A YouTube star

Firsty Lasty

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    I've never left feedback 'cuz I almost never look at the media section. Maybe I should start watching. I do feel a little guilty because there is someone who asked for tips with an exercise recently and I do have a specific suggestion but it would be hard to explain with text and I don't feel excited about being on camera so I dunno?

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com

The age old SGS Problem of the Media section not getting enough Attention.

Well I've been giving quite a Lot Feedback these past weeks, Hope Others start too!

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I do really like giving feedback but I also like to do it in baby steps. Like, instead of giving a whole washlist on what you can work on just start by pointing out vibrato, then bending, then note choices etc etc.

My biggest problem with the media pages is that I used to spent at least a little time everyday to check it out but after a while I started realizing that there are a lot of people with professional recorded/shot videos who are just there for clicks and it became a little uninteresting for me so I got on there less and less. Now it looks better but I'm having a hard time getting back in that habbit.

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Or even a good guitar teacher... I mean, I dont need to tell you how Bill is! In the lesson I had with him, he told me that my left hand wasnt up to speed with my right hand and that, wait for it, my vibrato sucks.

Then he proceeded to give me exercises that ive been doing everyday since I had that lesson and yeah, I see the difference!