• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Leaving Pedals plugged in?

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    I have two pedals that work with a power supply. Now I wonder, is there any bad side effect to have them always plugged in? Because it is always pretty tedious to unplug it all and then plug it in as soon as you want to play again. I rather ask before I risk breaking a 300 bucks pedal long term 😅

Also, on battery powered pedals it says unplugging the guitar cables when not in use will make the battery last longer. How does that work if the amp is not on?

Reactions: Lindsey

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    W
    Basically if you have a lower supply you leave it plugged in all the time. If you power it by batteries you will use the battery when it's plugged in and therefore it drains the battery
    What's a lower supply?
    What I don't get is why it drains the battery when the guitar cables are plugged in but there's no power coming from the amp.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    From my understanding the input acts like a power on/off for the battery, so leaving a cable plugged into the pedal input is no different to leaving any battery powered device switched on. Output is fine, no need to unplug that.
    Oh right! I think I even read this somewhere. Totally forgot, thanks!

Reactions: Adin Shepherd

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    just unplug the power supply and if any of your pedals have batteries then you have to unplug them as well so that the battery doesn't drain. Same thing with a guitar with active pickups. Always unplug it even if the amp is not on
    Well that is my question, should I really unplug the power supply of all my not battery powered pedals - and why? 🤔

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I have two pedals that work with a power supply. Now I wonder, is there any bad side effect to have them always plugged in? Because it is always pretty tedious to unplug it all and then plug it in as soon as you want to play again. I rather ask before I risk breaking a 300 bucks pedal long term 😅

Also, on battery powered pedals it says unplugging the guitar cables when not in use will make the battery last longer. How does that work if the amp is not on?

Leaving them connected while plugged in is fine.

Why do you unplug when on battery power?

Basically, a pedal uses the same technology as active pickups, and the jack is the "power." If there's a 1/4" plug plugged into the input jack, the unit is "ON," and will draw power. If you're on battery, this will DRAIN battery. If you're plugged in, it's not enough to really worry about.

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Leaving them connected while plugged in is fine.

Why do you unplug when on battery power?

Basically, a pedal uses the same technology as active pickups, and the jack is the "power." If there's a 1/4" plug plugged into the input jack, the unit is "ON," and will draw power. If you're on battery, this will DRAIN battery. If you're plugged in, it's not enough to really worry about.
    Got it, thanks Ed!