• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Legato Exercises 2 – Lesson 89

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Could somebody explain me why you should not also pick the D-string (in for example the first exercise)? I just can't seem to produce a proper sound when I just "tap" the frets whitout picking the string. Thanks in advance!
It basically starts with a hammer on our of nowhere so you could take a look at those. In principle legato is using the pick as little as possible so I guess that's why, I don't really know why it is that way exactly 😅

If you go to syn's etudes in legato you can see he picks every string once 😅

J

Jak Angelescu

Could somebody explain me why you should not also pick the D-string (in for example the first exercise)? I just can't seem to produce a proper sound when I just "tap" the frets whitout picking the string. Thanks in advance!
It depends. True legato requires massive strength and excellent string muting from the picking hand. If you watch players hold the neck with their picking hand, they're performing a true legato. Because it's difficult to get a clean true legato sound, some players will pick each string once. Does that make sense?

Petrit_G

Hot Topic Tourer
Oct 23, 2020
Meise (Belgium)
It basically starts with a hammer on our of nowhere so you could take a look at those. In principle legato is using the pick as little as possible so I guess that's why, I don't really know why it is that way exactly 😅

If you go to syn's etudes in legato you can see he picks every string once 😅
I guess we need to practise our hammer-ons properly then... Thanks for your answer :)

Reactions: idssdi

Petrit_G

Hot Topic Tourer
Oct 23, 2020
Meise (Belgium)
It depends. True legato requires massive strength and excellent string muting from the picking hand. If you watch players hold the neck with their picking hand, they're performing a true legato. Because it's difficult to get a clean true legato sound, some players will pick each string once. Does that make sense?
Thanks for your answer \m/. I'll give it some more practise time then :)

Synner Endless Summer Collection