• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Looking for a good practice amp that lets me sound like syn

Johnny Lin

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Hey everyone. My birthday is tomorrow, May 2, and I've decided to buy a Schecter Synyster Custom S. I've been playing for about 6 years on and off and I'm transitioning from a cheap 120 dollar pawnshop guitar with the Komplete audio 2 interface and the Guitar rig 5 pro software from native instruments so I have no idea where to start looking for an amp. Would I need to buy a distortion pedal too? Some of the demos I've heard on Youtube for amp reviews sound pretty good with just the amp itself and no pedal. Is that normal? or do most people use pedals?

I've been looking at the Boss Katana-50 MkII 50W for $229 but I honestly don't know what it would sound like with this guitar.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!.

The things Im looking for are:
-sounds like syn
-around 200 - 250 dollars
-has some preset fx like overdrive and a nice clean
-supports footswitch.
-can keep up with a drummer(if possible)

Reactions: Dominik Gräber

Ethan Keeling

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Aylesbury, England
Firstly, happy birthday!
The boss katana is a good amp with lots of versatility. I have a friend who has the katana, and he said the tones are great for the price. I've heard good things about the fender bass breaker (I think it's called that). But if you wanted you could also take the digital route. Line 6 do some good digital modelling stuff for a good price and you have a wide range of amps you can use, some even include the amps that syn used in nightmare, coe etc!

Conor Mason

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Hermitage, Pennsylvania- USA
I also second the Katana. I have that exact amp for practicing and there are so many pedals and features, you really can't go wrong. It's cliché, I know, but really, nobody will ever sound like any other player. You could play through Syn's exact rig and only sound like you. That being said, the Katana is extremely hard to beat in the price range you are looking for. It sounds killer, has a Class AB power amp, and tons of goodies on board to play with. Best of luck! I looked myself to several amps in that price range for practicing and jamming at lower volumes and Boss nailed that one. I'm confident it will help you get closer to that tone on a budget

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Firsty Lasty

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
No cheap amp will get you really close to Syn's tone, for several reasons. One of the big reasons is that if you're listening to an album your brain may wrongly get an idea of "Syn's Tone" from the combined sounds of multiple guitar tracks from two guitarists plus the bass plus the kick drum plus imo the harmonic complexity of the music.

Kim

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Can't go wrong with a Katana! But I think the 50 doesn't have a footswitch option. Pedals yes, but not a separate footswitch to switch between Channels. Could be wrong though. I have the 100 MKII and this one supports the footswitch.
I have to check that out, cause i want to buy footswitch and have the 50

Edit, checked it, found this:

It's not able to use the big GA-FC foot switch, but can use single or double foot switches

Reactions: Dominik Gräber