• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Lost passion

mericksonmusic

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Feb 21, 2021
Wheeling, Il
www.instagram.com
Hey Synners. Long time no see! I’ve been absent lately because life, but I digress. I need help, and I feel my fellow Synners may be able to help me. I used to be so passionate about making music, I always wanted to play my guitar, I wanted to learn everything about it.

Lately though, I have found that the pressure to be great is… too great to have my passion thrive. I feel as though my skills aren’t where they should be after 15 years of playing, which is not helping my case.

The long and the short of it is this: have you ever lost your passion for something? If so, how did you find it again?.

Happy Synning and thank you for your help <3

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Bottom line, your skills are where they are. Period. You can't say your skills "aren't where they should be" constructively. For example, I've been playing since Syn was 3. There's a generally quiet member here, @SimonEichinger, who has been playing about 7 years and is one of the best overall players I've ever seen.

It doesn't matter, and making it matter is paralyzing. If I spent my time thinking like this, I'd lose my passion, too. I have, in the past, and it sucked.

The better statement is, "I am not where I want to be," because instead of being negative about your past efforts or perceived failures, it's more positive and gives you opportunities to get there - to build your roadmap to success.

There are also the bits about it not being a competition. It can sound like bullshit, but it's true. And priorities and knowing your strengths. Would David Gilmour listen to Syn and say, "Ahh man, I can't do that. I suck."

No, David Gilmour would not do that. David Gilmour would start playing, and Syn would start crying, because that's how we all are when faced with the greatness of David Gilmour.

Both of these men are guitar players revered the world over, but they are SO DIFFERENT that objective comparison is impossible.

I will *NEVER* be as technically good as either of them, but when I combine my skill with my personality and creativity, what comes about is uniquely me and mine, and no one could ever do it exactly the way I do. Not because they lack the skill, but because of the ME and the FUCK YOU* that I bring to my playing, writing and expression. Even if I'm the only one that ever likes it.

Do it for love. Do it for music. Don't do it for winning. You never will. And that's how it should be. Find your fun, and find your spark. And if it takes a while, that's cool, too. It's your journey, no one else's.

Now I'm just rambling, but that's a part of what I do, and what I bring to the table.

* Papa Gates says when you're going into a performance, "bring a little 'fuck you' to the stage with you." As in, "Fuck you, I deserve to be here."

Apocalyptic Katana

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    www.instagram.com
    If you find yourself comparing to someone else's skill level in X time frame.

You lose all motivation, hope and passion for music in this case.

Their...

Time
    Resources (money, gear etc...)
    Values (job responsibilities, family/friend time etc..)

In life are not the same as yours, nor are they you most importantly.

The only fair person to compare yourself to is the past version of you. If you made any small amount progress that's all that matters.

Music is not a competition.

It is a universal language that we all partake in and we express it in different ways from beginner to professional skill levels.

What sounds great is totally subjective anyway...

Share what you love to the world.

Everyone is waiting :D

mericksonmusic

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Feb 21, 2021
    Wheeling, Il
    www.instagram.com
    Bottom line, your skills are where they are. Period. You can't say your skills "aren't where they should be" constructively. For example, I've been playing since Syn was 3. There's a generally quiet member here, @SimonEichinger, who has been playing about 7 years and is one of the best overall players I've ever seen.

It doesn't matter, and making it matter is paralyzing. If I spent my time thinking like this, I'd lose my passion, too. I have, in the past, and it sucked.

The better statement is, "I am not where I want to be," because instead of being negative about your past efforts or perceived failures, it's more positive and gives you opportunities to get there - to build your roadmap to success.

There are also the bits about it not being a competition. It can sound like bullshit, but it's true. And priorities and knowing your strengths. Would David Gilmour listen to Syn and say, "Ahh man, I can't do that. I suck."

No, David Gilmour would not do that. David Gilmour would start playing, and Syn would start crying, because that's how we all are when faced with the greatness of David Gilmour.

Both of these men are guitar players revered the world over, but they are SO DIFFERENT that objective comparison is impossible.

I will *NEVER* be as technically good as either of them, but when I combine my skill with my personality and creativity, what comes about is uniquely me and mine, and no one could ever do it exactly the way I do. Not because they lack the skill, but because of the ME and the FUCK YOU* that I bring to my playing, writing and expression. Even if I'm the only one that ever likes it.

Do it for love. Do it for music. Don't do it for winning. You never will. And that's how it should be. Find your fun, and find your spark. And if it takes a while, that's cool, too. It's your journey, no one else's.

Now I'm just rambling, but that's a part of what I do, and what I bring to the table.

* Papa Gates says when you're going into a performance, "bring a little 'fuck you' to the stage with you." As in, "Fuck you, I deserve to be here."
    Thank you so much Ed I appreciate this! So many things I feel I know and I just need to be reminded of! Thanks dude!

• Love
    Reactions: Ed Seith

mericksonmusic

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Feb 21, 2021
    Wheeling, Il
    www.instagram.com
    If you find yourself comparing to someone else's skill level in X time frame.

You lose all motivation, hope and passion for music in this case.

Their...

Time
    Resources (money, gear etc...)
    Values (job responsibilities, family/friend time etc..)

In life are not the same as yours, nor are they you most importantly.

The only fair person to compare yourself to is the past version of you. If you made any small amount progress that's all that matters.

Music is not a competition.

It is a universal language that we all partake in and we express it in different ways from beginner to professional skill levels.

What sounds great is totally subjective anyway...

Share what you love to the world.

Everyone is waiting :D
    I’m going to start sharing more! I’m done keeping anyone waiting!

• Love
    Reactions: Ed Seith
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

mericksonmusic

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Feb 21, 2021
    Wheeling, Il
    www.instagram.com
    Hey!! 💗 Yeah, it has happened to me many times in my life. Sometimes we need to look for other paths, other alternatives and other motivations. Soon you will find the way and the encouragement to create music again 💗It is not necessary to force something, you have to let it flow🤘💯
    Thank you Gabby you’re a hundred percent right!!!

• Love
    Reactions: Gabby Heafy

Saphyra

New Student
    Dec 16, 2021
    France
    Hey Synners. Long time no see! I’ve been absent lately because life, but I digress. I need help, and I feel my fellow Synners may be able to help me. I used to be so passionate about making music, I always wanted to play my guitar, I wanted to learn everything about it.

Lately though, I have found that the pressure to be great is… too great to have my passion thrive. I feel as though my skills aren’t where they should be after 15 years of playing, which is not helping my case.

The long and the short of it is this: have you ever lost your passion for something? If so, how did you find it again?.

Hey, I am in the same situation than you, I would like to play every piece I worked
    Last year I tried to play a ost from Hollow Knight, it wasn't the most difficult one but after playing piano for 12 years I feel unsatisfied about my skills and I tied again and again
    I felt I wasn't as much killed on piano or even in music in general
    I still take some piano lessons but it's like everytime after playing something inside me says " Come on you are not skilled, why you continue to do that"
    But I love music and I wish I could have more motivation and less stress
    Tbh, I had some days questioning myself if I should suit or not Synner School because I feel shame that after 1 year being on Synner, I didn't post yet a piano vidéo performance
    So don't worry I can relate your thoughts, me too I am looking for finding motivation again and get the négatives thoughts away

bsynre

New Student
    Nov 12, 2019

Hey there,

I've recently experienced something similar. After taking off a year for a broken wrist bone I never really bounced back or had the same desire to play guitar. It's almost like I forgot why I like playing guitar and am not even sure if I do like playing guitar anymore.

However, I'm committing to practicing consistently for a few months to get much of my skill back and hope the mindset will shift as I get better again. It's a strange phenomenon where I want to have the desire to play but actual playing doesn't feel rewarding like I want it to be.

I'm not completely sure what's up but hopefully, it improves.

Reactions: William B.
    Synner Endless Summer Collection