• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Love the album but not the band - discussion

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Tell me about a long-time musician or band where you love one album and really don't care for anything else they've done. Not a band with only one or two albums, but a nice collection of work, but you only like one album.

I'll go first - I love Slipknot's Vol 3: The Subliminal Verses, and think almost everything else they've done is kinda meh.

How about you?

Gabby Heafy

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Apr 5, 2020
    www.instagram.com
    I love One-X is the second studio album by Canadian rock band Three Days Grace 🖤

This is a dark but beautiful album. Lead singer Adam Gontier's lyrics deal with mental health very accurately. This awesome album is full of emotional depth with catchy and memorable guitars. One of my Fav definitely🤘

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    For me, it’s definitely A Perfect Circle. I’m a big Maynard fan so I found APC very early on but nothing really clicked for me until, The Thirteenth Step.
    With the exception of, Pet, most of the songs are super chill and melodic and simple. I think I really like the simplicity of most of the tracks.
    of course, that album gave us the chart toppers like, The Outsider and Weak and Powerless.
    However my favs have always been Blue, Noose, & The nurse who loved me.

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    I love One-X is the second studio album by Canadian rock band Three Days Grace 🖤

This is a dark but beautiful album. Lead singer Adam Gontier's lyrics deal with mental health very accurately. This awesome album is full of emotional depth with catchy and memorable guitars. One of my Fav definitely🤘
    Such a great album ! I’m a big fan of their self titled album. Super raw and one of the anthems of my teen years for sure. They definitely were not the same after Adam left imo.
    I know Adam is doing his thing with Saint Asonia, and while I LOVE hearing his voice, the songs don’t click for me the way they did with Three Days Grace. 😞

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    @Ed Seith I 100% agree with you. That’s my favorite slipknot album as well. Don’t get me wrong, there are singles here and there that I love but not full albums. The devil inside and Unsainted are 🤌🏼 but the rest of the albums suck.
    Exactly, I really like some singles outside that album, but that's the ONLY album that hits for me.

Jamie London

GYNNER
    Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    I adore “Volume Two” by She & Him (Zooey Deschanel and M Ward’s band. Fun Fact: I’ve had the most massive crush on Zooey since I was like 13 🤪) .

The album is so great. It has some 50s vibes, beach boys vibes, all brought together with their own signature indie pop sound. There’s are some kinda goofy moments her and there but it’s fun and light hearted overall and so those moments don’t bother me. I think that album is exactly what they wanted it to be and it features some of my favorite songs of all time.

THAT BEING SAID, holy shit, so much of their other music be it albums or singles, annoys the ever loving hell out of me. The first album just isn’t very good imo and so where I can forgive “vol two” for its cheesiness or cringe moments, Vol one doesn’t get that kindness, plus many of the songs there are flat out boring. Their third album has 1-2 good songs but otherwise runs into the same issues as “Vol one” but while starting to loose the initial identity of the band as they started to get older. Their holiday albums are…. holiday albums… yeah lol

But something else they’d done very well earlier on was releasing two beach boys covers, those being “God Only Knows” and “I Can Hear Music” as well as playing a phenomenal live version of “Wouldn’t it be Nice” live in the early 2010s. So when they announced an entire Beach Boys / Brian Wilson covers album last year I was ecstatic! Unfortunately it runs into the same problems as most of their other music outside of Vol Two. That on top of the fact that a lot of the covers just aren’t well done. The cover of “Darlin” is just bad. Zooey’s also a mom now and some of the covers sound like goofy kids sing along versions or something. Specifically the cover of “Wouldn't it Be Nice” which sounds nothing like the somber version they were playing live years ago, this one truly sounds like a kids sing along version.

It’s a shame because Vol Two is one of my favorite albums but they’ve never been able to really do much else that I’ve enjoyed outside of a cover or two earlier on and a song here and there from one of the other albums. But at least I’ll always have Vol Two 😁

Damian Garcia

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    I've never developed the urge to explore Metallica beyond Death Magnetic. It has some interesting songs, like The Day That Never Comes, Cyanide, and The End of the Line, but personally felt nothing from their overall sound that made me want to explore their earlier works.

Though I do recognize their music influenced many other bands that I personally enjoy, plus their historical status, so it really is only a matter of time before finally delving into their earlier music to understand how exactly they influenced the metal scene.

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I've never developed the urge to explore Metallica beyond Death Magnetic. It has some interesting songs, like The Day That Never Comes, Cyanide, and The End of the Line, but personally felt nothing from their overall sound that made me want to explore their earlier works.

Though I do recognize their music influenced many other bands that I personally enjoy, plus their historical status, so it really is only a matter of time before finally delving into their earlier music to understand how exactly they influenced the metal scene.
    You must listen to Master of Puppets as soon as possible.

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Tell me about a long-time musician or band where you love one album and really don't care for anything else they've done. Not a band with only one or two albums, but a nice collection of work, but you only like one album.

I'll go first - I love Slipknot's Vol 3: The Subliminal Verses, and think almost everything else they've done is kinda meh.

How about you?
    I mean, my favorite from Slipknot is Iowa but not as much because it's a masterpiece in terms of songwriting but mostly because I feel like it's a masterpiece in terms of performance. Iowa I feel is raw and pure rage. And while I definitely don't listen to it everyday, when I hit a very bad day and I just feel the need to listen to something that is pure rage, Iowa is perfect.

Vol 3. is great but there are songs in there that I'm really meh on. Iowa I would argue needs a certain mood to get into, at least for me, so that's why I prefer it.

But to answer the question, the one that comes to mind is Magma from Gojira. Love the album but haven't really been able to get into their other stuff. I know I need to give it a try but idk, Magma just hits it right for me.

Gabby Heafy

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Apr 5, 2020
    www.instagram.com
    Such a great album ! I’m a big fan of their self titled album. Super raw and one of the anthems of my teen years for sure. They definitely were not the same after Adam left imo.
    I know Adam is doing his thing with Saint Asonia, and while I LOVE hearing his voice, the songs don’t click for me the way they did with Three Days Grace. 😞
    same feeling, the band is no longer the same. Adam's voice is pure gold, I think their first two studio albums are incredible. I went to see them playing live when they came to my country, but it was already with the new singer :( Missing the old three days Grace era:cry:

megalizzie

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2021
    Virginia
    Mine is The Decemberists. I heard The Hazards of Love first, a full rock opera with a whole dramatic storyline of love and loss, a curse, a witch, a raging river, spectacular vocals, heavy guitars - still absolutely obsessed. The lyrics are so beautiful and I won’t spoil the ending!

Imagine my dismay when all the other albums prior or since were acoustic folk and contained absolutely nothing heavy or dramatic 😅

Jeremy Healey

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend+
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Newfoundland and Labrador
    I cant really think of a full album, but there is one song that definitely comes to mind. Six - All That Remains is a song I've listened to for many years, dating all the way back to the days of Guitar Hero 2. I never much cared for the lyrics / screaming and still don't really, but the guitar and drums in that song always stuck with me. Loved it.

Back when I avidly listened to that song on my burnt off custom CD, I figured that I would give the rest of the album a try! I decided very quickly I did not like the rest at all. Never went back to try any other All That Remains songs 😅 I would most definitely have a different opinion on it now, seeing as it has been about 13 / 14 years lol.