• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Low E string issues

DjangoX

Campfire Attention Holder
Legend+
Mar 30, 2020
United Kingdom
Can the string tension be altered on a guitar? Whenever I want to chug, literally in drop D with a metronome to practice my picking, the sting moves A LOT. No matter what angle I catch the string it seems to move massively with my pick, regardless of pick angle or how much of the pick is shown to the string. Even when fretting, the string will sometimes move over the top of the fret board if I catch it at the wrong angle. I see guys chugging alternate picking at an slight angle and it sounds so clean. All I can manage is a scraping sound where the string moves with my pick. Is it hardware issue or a technique issue?

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Nov 11, 2019
Indiana
They're:
Strings: NPS, .009-.042 Gauges

Copied from the website I bought it from. Does gauge matter for drop D?
Yeah man if you’re going to drop tune your guitar, you gotta up your string gauge. .42’s are way light for drop tunings and are pretty light for standard tuning also. Syn uses .10-.52’s and most A7X songs are in Drop D and Drop C#.

But also being that you have a floyd rose, you will need to adjust your floyd for putting heavier strings on. There’s plenty of videos on youtube for that though and a lot of people here own guitars equipped with Floyd Roses!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Nov 11, 2019
Indiana
I knew a Floyd was a bad idea. I was sold on the dive bombs (that I can't even do yet 😐). Thanks for the advice mate! I'll order some new strings and get onto YouTube. Appreciate the advice.
Floyd’s are great man but they are a little more time consuming than a standard tune-o-matic bridge or strat bridge. Ill only have another floyd if i ever buy a Syn custom.

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to ask around here man! Everyone here has a wealth of knowledge! Also, looking forward to seeing ya play!

Reactions: Ed Seith

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    If you like the 9's switch to a 9-46 set. You will need to adjust the Floyd, but it's a good opportunity to learn what a floyd really is and how it works. Here's a painfully long video I did where I was completely changing string gauges and tunings and how I go about setting up Mr. Floyd.

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Yeah man if you’re going to drop tune your guitar, you gotta up your string gauge. .42’s are way light for drop tunings and are pretty light for standard tuning also. Syn uses .10-.52’s and most A7X songs are in Drop D and Drop C#.

But also being that you have a floyd rose, you will need to adjust your floyd for putting heavier strings on. There’s plenty of videos on youtube for that though and a lot of people here own guitars equipped with Floyd Roses!
    10-52s are the Shit! Bullet for my Valentine uses them as Well and they play in drop C! I love them used in drop d

Reactions: Jacques