• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Maintaining My Guitar

Zesty Rage

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Sep 27, 2020
    Michigan City, IN
    So I’m a little embarrassed to admit that I’ve never actually learned how to properly maintain my equipment. I’ve always taken my guitar to a friends music store. But since I’ve started getting into playing live at some local spots I figured it would be a good idea for me to start learning since I’ll probably be traveling with more than one guitar. I’ve talked with my friend and he’s going to show me how they’ve been taking care of my guitar but since it’s a bit of a drive for me to get there I won’t be able to get up there til next weekend. So in the meantime I thought I’d ask for any advice you guys might have for properly maintaining your guitar. I’m not able to make the drive to the store that much so I try to get everything I need in one trip. If there’s anything I should consider grabbing please let me know 😁

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    Oooooh boy....guitar geek mode on!

I would say at least two cloths a toothbrush
    String cleaner (fast fret for instance)

Lemon oil or any fretboard conditioner

Some tools: wire cutter, some allan keys for truss rod adjudstmen and a good old screwdriver and some keys.

Let me explain a bit.
    One cloth is to keep normal dust of your guitar.

The other cloth and toothbrush I would keep separate from all your other stuff....theese will be your fretboard conditioner tools. You apply the lemon oil maybe via part of the cloth and work it in with the tootbrush (i swear by it...may be a bit unconventional but it worked....worst case scenario @Ed Seith can always chime in with his wisdom). Then you can use another part of the brush to remove the excess of the oil (after plenty of time to let it soak in)

Final tip...a mechanical pencil or just pencil...use it as string lubricant while changing strings. Apply it on the nut indents for the string.

Of course this is just stuff I picked up over the years....and YouTube is just a pool of knowledge... Big brands have actually videos on it too...PRS and Gibson for sure have some guitar maintenance videos on their channels.

Hope this helps!

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    maybe spare cables, strings as well
    batteries if your gear needs them
    locking strap is probably a good idea to have, I saw a band where the guitarists guitars strap came off during a song but he was able to continue
    I would also go with the game changer...Strap locks. Keepw the Guitar from falling

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Seems like everyone has nailed the basics ! CJ mentioned a pencil and that does work amazingly. I learned that trick too early on, especially for my strat. I like to use Big Bends Nut Sauce. It does the same thing, just lasts longer….. And it gets bonus points for the name 🤣 it makes me giggle every time I see it.
    I’ll also add, in terms of maintenance products, I’m a big fan of the Nomad brand. Their F-1 freatboard oil is THE SHIT !

• Love
    Reactions: Ed Seith

JackJ97

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    So I’m a little embarrassed to admit that I’ve never actually learned how to properly maintain my equipment. I’ve always taken my guitar to a friends music store. But since I’ve started getting into playing live at some local spots I figured it would be a good idea for me to start learning since I’ll probably be traveling with more than one guitar. I’ve talked with my friend and he’s going to show me how they’ve been taking care of my guitar but since it’s a bit of a drive for me to get there I won’t be able to get up there til next weekend. So in the meantime I thought I’d ask for any advice you guys might have for properly maintaining your guitar. I’m not able to make the drive to the store that much so I try to get everything I need in one trip. If there’s anything I should consider grabbing please let me know 😁
    I find Quetips are good for the harder to reach areas to clean like between the saddles and what not.

Reactions: Alicia Willis
    Synner Endless Summer Collection