• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Major Chord Progressions

Gabriel Perez

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Salt Lake City, UT
    open.spotify.com
    A lot of times I find that I don't really know what to write when it comes to music especially since I didn't really know how chords worked. But I did Music Theory II this last semester and got some help and I want to share this with people who might not know it. I think this is beginner theory due to it being a foundation and we can get to using different chords that are very much not in the scale to get those jazz progressions but for now we'll keep it simple.

Starting off with the chords of the C major scale (since there aren't any sharps or flats) we have C major, d minor, e minor, F Major, G Major, a minor, Bm7b5 (or bdim, b-half diminished or what you want to call it)

C=1, D=2, E=3, F=4, G=5, A=6, B=7 and we have our scale degrees as well as their chord qualities.

Since C is our tonic the 1 chord can go to any chord it wants. Because it has the strength. It's our foundation. So here is how it goes (and we'll use Roman numerals)

1 goes anywhere
    iii--> vi--> IV--> V--> I this chart is the basic foundation you need for writing chord progressions and then below there are few other chords that can do special things
    vi also goes to ii
    V also goes to vi which can do some cool deceptive cadence stuff and can bring it back to a perfect cadence which will be really good for your songwriting.
    IV can also to ii

So you can do stuff like: I --> vi --> IV --> ii --> V --> I (ii-V-I progressions are very popular in jazz) and we'll get into other types of chord progressions and how they function another time. Thank you! Hopefully this helps