• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Make a 6 string sound like 8

Iris

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Oct 14, 2020
    Everett, Washington
    I know. Weird title. So my boyfriend showed me the song Doom BFG Division by Mick Gordon. I really wanna learn the guitar part for him but I don't have an 8 string guitar.....yet. So is there a way to make 6 strings sound like 8 or transpose the tab somehow? The strings from lowest to highest are EBEADGBE. Maybe just tune the A up to a B? I know it won't sound the exact same but I would like to try. Thanks fam.

Last edited:

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    The thing with going in low tuning is that you have to have the right string gauge for it to get the note played right which is why bass strings for example are much bigger than guitar string: they are designed to produce lower notes. But going beyond that, the instrument is also designed to be able to take such string gauge so in theory, you could take a pack of 8 string and just cut out the 2 higher string and be left with just the lower ones but first problem you could encounter would be:

- First, depending on your guitar, the nut wouldn't be cut to accommodate for larger strings

- Second, depending on the instrument, too much tension could produce damages to a 6 string guitar since they weren't built with that high string tension in mind. You're lowkey putting some bass strings on it and it's not gonna like it.

Then you could take a relative heavy gauge 6 string guitar pack and tune it down to 8 string tuning but I think you'll find the string tension very ''wobbly'' and not very comfortable to play with.

In conclusion, you can experiment with that but these would be the main consideration I would give you before you do anything!

Good luck! :rock-hand:

Iris

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Oct 14, 2020
    Everett, Washington
    Ok. I wound up leaving my low E as is. Then tuned my A up to a B and my D up to an E. The music only uses the bottom 3 strings and with distortion it sounds pretty damn close. He won't even notice. Now I've got another question. What do these dashed lines above the note mean?
    Screenshot_20211021-102234_Tabs.jpg

Reactions: William B.

JimmyS

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    South Africa
    I know. Weird title. So my boyfriend showed me the song Doom BFG Division by Mick Gordon. I really wanna learn the guitar part for him but I don't have an 8 string guitar.....yet. So is there a way to make 6 strings sound like 8 or transpose the tab somehow? The strings from lowest to highest are EBEADGBE. Maybe just tune the A up to a B? I know it won't sound the exact same but I would like to try. Thanks fam.
    I play it using standard tuning, I just use the low E string for BFG division. Mick Gordon uses a lot of the Double Harmonic Major scale in his compositions (sounds very evil muhahaha). If you like that sort of sound check out his work on Doom Eternal - The Only Thing They Fear is You, for this one I tune my low E down to B, gives a cool effect for Double harmonic riffs. Lol sorry for nerding out a bit, I listen to Mick Gordon's soundtracks everyday. Keep rocking :)

Reactions: Iris

Ryan Vega

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Florida
    nearlyspent.bandzoogle.com
    maybe an octave pedal/effect could get you pretty darn close but at that point you could just buy an affordable 7/8 string guitar for just a bit more money

Synner Endless Summer Collection

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I listened to a Double Harmonic Major scale lesson from Mr. Beato after reading this thread, it's nice, been getting similar sounds accidently when I practice sometimes
    I wound up leaving my low E as is. Then tuned my A up to a B and my D up to an E
    Going to try this out if I don't forget 1 step sharp should be okay for my guitar. I'll try a half step first to see how it goes :D

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Guess you just need to figure out what octaves the song is in.

Is it moving up or down octaves as the song goes? Is the lead on the higher strings as the rhythm plays lower? Once you find that balance you jist need to tune for that octave and you should be fine

Possessed Sinner

Free Bird Player
    Apr 6, 2021
    Czech Republic
    You can try to detune the guitar if you don't need high E and B. But make sure it is not loose to much or you will not be able to play almost anything. Or you can go into a music store and learn it there on an 8 string guitar

Javier Wienarjati

Campfire Attention Holder
    Dec 7, 2021
    Indonesia
    www.instagram.com
    This week I learn Polyphia Ego Death, but I dont have 7 strings. Mom got the guitarpro tabs somewhere, then we transposed it on guitar pro. Click on the track, then change the instrument to 6 strings and the tunings, then choose adjust the fingering. Automatically transposed. Some notes need editing, but not too much.