• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Making of Self-Titled's B-side & Until The End

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Singapore
www.instagram.com
Heyyaaa all!

After Papa Gates' PG Stream #3 the other day, I kinda had a question in mind after he answered my question on which songs off of Diamonds in the Rough was his favorite, where he answered "Until The End". The question, to @Syn Gates , is whether there was a "Making Of" document-interview done for the B-Sides song as well. We know there's a 'Making of' for the songs that made it on the Self-Titled album, and little webclips and studio tours, but there didn't seem to be any for the B-sides, asides from short clips of Syn and Zacky recording Demons.

Also, a buddy of mine and myself have been discussing for a good hour or two on the arrangement for "Until The End" - in particular from the bridge, until the end(pun intended). Great track! Would be great if @Brian Haner Sr. could share a little behind that track, if memory serves.

Cheers! :rock-hand: :rock-hand:

Cleo.Black

One Stringer
Jul 5, 2022
I've not stopped listening to Diamonds in the Rough since last Tuesday 😍. I had been on a self titled kick but after the stream my 4 hours of commuting to work each day are full of the glory that is Diamonds.
I'd be very interested in the answer to your question too.

• Love
Reactions: Alicia Willis

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
Staff member
Legend+
Fucking Legend
Nov 11, 2019
I honestly don’t remember much. Syn came to my house with a couple of tracks. I laid down some demo acoustic guitar on a track (can’t remember which one), and then worked on string arrangements for Afterlife and Until The End. They used my arrangement on Until The End, but only used a small segment of what I did on Afterlife. Most of that arrangement was done by Marc Mann.
No clue if any “making of” video exists for Diamonds. My guess is - no.

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Singapore
www.instagram.com
I honestly don’t remember much. Syn came to my house with a couple of tracks. I laid down some demo acoustic guitar on a track (can’t remember which one), and then worked on string arrangements for Afterlife and Until The End. They used my arrangement on Until The End, but only used a small segment of what I did on Afterlife. Most of that arrangement was done by Marc Mann.
No clue if any “making of” video exists for Diamonds. My guess is - no.
It's cool, PG! I only kinda felt that it would be nice if we could see the behind-the-scenes of the Diamonds album too, but I doubt it can ever be retrieved.

I'm glad Diamonds existed because a lot of my personal favorite Jimmy drum works are from that album itself.

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Singapore
www.instagram.com
They may have some vid of it. I have no idea. I just know the b side stuff was an afterthought. What do we do with good songs that didn’t fit on the album? Let’s release them as bonus tracks with a live album!
Vids are definitely a question to ask syn.
Well if we can't get the original video, time to add to them Breakdown series, yeah @Syn Gates ?😉😉😉

Reactions: Alicia Willis
Synner Endless Summer Collection

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Singapore
www.instagram.com
I’d love to know a bit of the thought process behind some of those songs. I know they’re not huge fans of them, but for instance, “Tension” is so different and I adore it. I’d kill to know what their thoughts process there was
Tension is actually one of my favorite drum works!! Reminds me so much of Scream & also when I heard "Higher"!

Jamie London

GYNNER
Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    Tension is actually one of my favorite drum works!! Reminds me so much of Scream & also when I heard "Higher"!
    It’s such a cool track haha very different for a7x overall, but man, Syn’s solo in that one, so damn good! And Johnny even gets to do something for the first 15 seconds or so! So yay for him! 😜

• Haha
    Reactions: Cleo.Black