• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Matt confirms album will ship prior to summer 22 tour dates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Synner Endless Summer Collection

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Not gonna lie. The fact they want another year to write tells me they scrapped essentially everything they already had. Or at the least haven't even started. Which to each his own during the pandemic. I understand set backs. But I dunno to me i find this a massive disappointing that there will be a such a massive gap from the stage to this album.

Reactions: Ed Seith

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Not gonna lie. The fact they want another year to write tells me they scrapped essentially everything they already had. Or at the least haven't even started. Which to each his own during the pandemic. I understand set backs. But I dunno to me i find this a massive disappointing that there will be a such a massive gap from the stage to this album.
    I think you underestimate how long it takes to make a complex full-length record. If they're looking at release NO LATER than 9-10 months from now, then at the very LEAST everything is written and primary performances are recorded in final takes. There may be some embellishment instruments to record, which happens according to the schedule of the ancillary players (string sections, horn players, glockenspielist, etc) mixing (which can take a month or more with mixdown versions needing tweaking, approval from members, label people, etc), and mastering. Additionally, there's artwork, distribution plans, rollout plans, scheduling (there are like six or seven big rock/metal albums coming out in the next week or so - they'll want to avoid that), tour logistics, appearance planning and scheduling, etc. They also have the freedom and luxury of building in some gap time in case of unexpected issues or delays. They want to do it right after the "surprise" launch of The Stage gave their best album the least exposure.

Finally, Matt simply committed to the album being out BY then, not "then." More likely, they're looking at early spring, maybe a March date or possibly earlier.

Either way, the reality is that a band their size doesn't get long breaks - ever - without announcing a "hiatus" or just plain breaking up. As a music-making machine, we can be all pissy about it, but as humans, we have to respect that they took time to spend with families, recharge, maybe fall in love with music again (lots of people learn to hate their passions when those passions become THE JOB), etc. Hell, Syn had a newborn during Covid. He remembers all too well taking off to tour and missing a lot. That time can't be gotten back, so they grabbed hold of the opportunity Covid gave them.

Some can be bitter about such things (evidence of that is clear on the A7X subreddit), but I choose to be hopeful that the downtime made them better all around.

Plus, they needed PG sober enough to record another single-take solo masterpiece.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I think you underestimate how long it takes to make a complex full-length record. If they're looking at release NO LATER than 9-10 months from now, then at the very LEAST everything is written and primary performances are recorded in final takes. There may be some embellishment instruments to record, which happens according to the schedule of the ancillary players (string sections, horn players, glockenspielist, etc) mixing (which can take a month or more with mixdown versions needing tweaking, approval from members, label people, etc), and mastering. Additionally, there's artwork, distribution plans, rollout plans, scheduling (there are like six or seven big rock/metal albums coming out in the next week or so - they'll want to avoid that), tour logistics, appearance planning and scheduling, etc. They also have the freedom and luxury of building in some gap time in case of unexpected issues or delays. They want to do it right after the "surprise" launch of The Stage gave their best album the least exposure.

Finally, Matt simply committed to the album being out BY then, not "then." More likely, they're looking at early spring, maybe a March date or possibly earlier.

Either way, the reality is that a band their size doesn't get long breaks - ever - without announcing a "hiatus" or just plain breaking up. As a music-making machine, we can be all pissy about it, but as humans, we have to respect that they took time to spend with families, recharge, maybe fall in love with music again (lots of people learn to hate their passions when those passions become THE JOB), etc. Hell, Syn had a newborn during Covid. He remembers all too well taking off to tour and missing a lot. That time can't be gotten back, so they grabbed hold of the opportunity Covid gave them.

Some can be bitter about such things (evidence of that is clear on the A7X subreddit), but I choose to be hopeful that the downtime made them better all around.

Plus, they needed PG sober enough to record another single-take solo masterpiece.
    All the interviews and clips I've seen from Matt and zacky pretty much makes it sound like they had things going into a studio when the riots hit and then they obviously had the setbacks from that and I think from there they basically changed their priorities which like I said during a pandemic to each his own. It's just disappointing that it'll be a huge gap between albums this time around the gaps seem to be getting bigger.

I understand the time it takes. But it just feels like in this case they had ideas and probably will use the same ideas. But in general are redoing every part from scratch.

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    All the interviews and clips I've seen from Matt and zacky pretty much makes it sound like they had things going into a studio when the riots hit and then they obviously had the setbacks from that and I think from there they basically changed their priorities which like I said during a pandemic to each his own. It's just disappointing that it'll be a huge gap between albums this time around the gaps seem to be getting bigger.

I understand the time it takes. But it just feels like in this case they had ideas and probably will use the same ideas. But in general are redoing every part from scratch.
    Well when you’ve done as much musically as they have, the gaps between albums should get longer due to always trying to come out with something fresh and original and not something that just sounds like the last record. I want new Avenged as much as the next guy, but id rather have a quality album Thats completely new and no rehashed ideas vs an album they just throw together to please the fans that are mad that its been X amount of years since their last effort.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    The surprise release was an amazing idea and the hype was there..people didnt understand the album at first. Some still dont. It took a few listens and the sales suffered from that. The fact of planning the release for the fans to know makes no difference in that matter in my opinion.

They did that right even with the live show on the rooftops. I also saw other artists doing the same thing now. The record companies hate it. But I personally love it.
    Well when you’ve done as much musically as they have, the gaps between albums should get longer due to always trying to come out with something fresh and original and not something that just sounds like the last record. I want new Avenged as much as the next guy, but id rather have a quality album Thats completely new and no rehashed ideas vs an album they just throw together to please the fans that are mad that its been X amount of years since their last effort.
    I domt really agree .. the tighter the band the easier things come together. Alice in chains recorded the nutshell ep in under a week. They recorded and wrote and mixed everything in that week or so. One session. It's VERY possible to put the music out quickly. Especially when the chemistry is so tight.

None of avenged albums really sound alike so I highly doubt that's even a factor either. I just cant figure out why they'd make up excuses over the past year saying they were held back when it's becoming more and more clear that they just put it to the side for family. Which again I'll say is understandable. But it's still disappointing as well to know it'll be almost 5 years between albums.

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    So exciting! I'm not even bothered about the delay. As discussed above, there could be a million reasons to why the album has took so long and why they're choosing to wait longer to release it - the obvious ones like Covid, or like @Ed Seith mentioned about all the Major Label fuss, adding time to things. One of the things I'm imagining could be an issue release wise (with absolutely zero experience, just spit-balling here) could be the fact that they and every other band ready to get back releasing and on the road will want to make sure that they're making up for the massive losses they've just suffered due to the time away, so it could be a case of booking a really extensive tour off the back of the record & making sure the advertisement & social media strategy lines up - then there's all the potential covid red tape with booking venues , differing from country to country, even state to state, which I imagine might still be a thing at some point next year. I'm sure the label want to rake in as much as they can, so It could be making sure that the plan is air tight for the release so there's little cancellations & refunds. The best thought out plan, no matter how long it takes, could mean a better payday for everyone so they can continue to up their game record wise in the future & get a bigger budget for music videos etc.

Basically, I trust the guys & the team. If they thought it was a good idea to bring the record out sooner, then they would be doing that. Either way, absence makes the heart grow fonder. I'm also just completely guessing here :geek:

Status
    Not open for further replies.