• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Melodic minor modes question

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Dorian b9 makes more sense since Dorian is the second mode in the natural major scale.

But yeah you can call it phrygian #6 if you want to. I think Dorian b9 may be the more generally used name for it so as far as communication with other musicians goes it's probably better to call it Dorian b9

Reactions: Pablo De Miguel

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
Staff member
Legend+
Fucking Legend
Nov 11, 2019
When PG teach the secon mode of the melodic minor scale he call's it dorian b9, but, could this mode be called phrygian #6 aswell?
If so, are the both names correct or its better to call it dorian b9 as PG call's it in the lesson??
Great catch! I love that you're seeing the possibilities and the plurality of the scales. You could absolutely call it Phrygian #6.
The accepted name is Dorian b9 - but the important thing is that you understand it - and you obviously do because you saw it's other possibility. If its easier for you to think of it as a Phryg #6 then do that!
Great job!!!
PG

Pablo De Miguel

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    I guess that this aplies to other modes of the melodic minor and the armonic minor scale aswell,right?
    But anyways I will learn the names that you use because I think that looking for other names for each scale is making things harder than I should and as Ids recomended It's better to use the acepted names to make comunication with ther musicians easier.

Reactions: idssdi

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    I guess that this aplies to other modes of the melodic minor and the armonic minor scale aswell,right?
    But anyways I will learn the names that you use because I think that looking for other names for each scale is making things harder than I should and as Ids recomended It's better to use the acepted names to make comunication with ther musicians easier.
    It pretty much applies to all scales. The more ways you can see them, the better. Take the major modes. It's important to know that a D dorian scale has a b3, and a b7 - BUT - once you know that, it's also important to "see" it's also a C major scale starting on the 2nd note. The more ways you can see something, the more options you have.
    And yes - Id's is right. It's always best to start with the accepted name of each scale.
    Glad you are poking around in this stuff. Really nerdy stuff that 99.99% of guitar players never get into. I love it!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Agree with pg again. Knowing what scales match what helps you pick chords for your progressions. That way you realistically only need to play 1 scale through the progression and itll sound best. Rather then playing random chords and changing the scales to relate to the chords. Both ways work.. but clearly one is eaiser then the other.

Reactions: Brian Haner Sr.