• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Melody & Motif - Lesson 2

J

Jak Angelescu

I think what I love the most about this series, is that instead of playing my Gardenscapes game waiting on something, I can actually still turn on these lessons and learn something just by watching them/listening. My new homework is I'm going to try to write my own little simple blues melody like you did as an example and try to find my motif and not betray the song 🥰

Rute Rodrigues

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Portugal
    So motif works for every instrument? Even singers? For example when you hear a song and the chorus and most of the times, in the last chorus, the singer sings diferent notes here and there. For example this song: She sings diferent notes in the last chorus. Is this also a motif?

Reactions: Ed Seith

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Hey Syn! Quick question for fractal users, what amp model did you use while recording 'The Stage' i use a 5153 100w Red channel for most of my tones on the other albums but i have the stage cab pack and was wondering if you used a different amp model!

I know through other discussions here, there, and everywhere, Syn has stated that the Hellwin was designed by the same guy that did the 5150, and the 5150 was the starting point for the Hellwin, with tweaks and such to Syn's taste. There are other places I can't remember the source for at the moment that DO call out the 5153 Red as the Fractal amp used for Syn's AxeFX tone.

That said, there are a lot of other factors that come into play - the cabinet, the mic choice, the volume, guitar and pickups, the placement, hell, even the level of humidity in the room can affect the tone if you're anal enough about it (that's where the idea of an ISO cab makes sense). It's possible the biggest change Syn made in the studio for The Stage is his newer custom pickups.

But the truth is, I don't know, and Syn can't remember (and he probably wants to keep some of his secret sauce close to the vest anyway, so people don't just ENTIRELY cop his tone and never find their own), so the Cab Packs, his notes, and the 5153 Red are probably as close as you're gonna get from The Man Himself. I use all of those things, but I never did them in an attempt to cop Syn's tone - I had already been using the 5153 in my AxeFX2 before this site was even live, and when I bought his cab packs it was for a few reasons - 1. Try em out. 2. Support the school. 3. Still searching for a cab IR that didn't have artifacts that irritated my ear and took me out of the zen. They worked on all 3 levels for me - his cabs are the first ones I've tried (built in or bought) that I didn't hear any strange artifacts in (the artifacts are no doubt a result of my particular playing or picking style, but every other cab IR failed to handle it like a live amp would, and his do).

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    So motif works for every instrument? Even singers? For example when you hear a song and the chorus and most of the times, in the last chorus, the singer sings diferent notes here and there. For example this song: She sings diferent notes in the last chorus. Is this also a motif?
    Exactly. All a motif is.. is a tweak in the melody the 2nd time around. Anything that can carry a melody will work.

J

Jak Angelescu

Papa Gates: "I'm just gonna shoot from the hip and play something silly"
    *Proceeds to write a saucy blues song right on the spot*

One thing I noticed a lot for me that helps doing motif is to do like what he does here and to play the chords in the progression and put in the melody in between them. I notice blues does that a LOT!

Can anyone help me understand and find the chord progressions used in the backing tracks here?
    *cough* @Ids Schiere *cough*

Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen

One thing I noticed a lot for me that helps doing motif is to do like what he does here and to play the chords in the progression and put in the melody in between them. I notice blues does that a LOT!

Can anyone help me understand and find the chord progressions used in the backing tracks here?
    I'll take a look at it when I have the time, which backing tracks are you interested in?

Last edited:
    Reactions: Jak Angelescu

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019

This is something I noticed too.. makes it easy for 1 guitarist when he basically does it all lol

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com

That is ALL blues, for sure. I actually heard one of the great funk bass players (Bootsy maybe?) say something similar about playing funk bass lines - "play the first half of the measure straight, to set the feel, then improv the rest, before starting over with the beat for the first half again."

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    This one specifically
    Its effectively a 12 bar blues in A so A7-D9-A7-D9-A7-E9-D9-A7. That would be I-IV-I-IV-I-V-IV-I. If you take for example something like Olivia by John Mayer it has the same harmony but in G. One thing to notice here is that the backing tracks uses color chord(moving up a half step before it goes to the next chord), those are explained in part 2 lesson 8 I believe. It's pretty easy to hear where they are.

J

Jak Angelescu

Its effectively a 12 bar blues in A so A7-D9-A7-D9-A7-E9-D9-A7. That would be I-IV-I-IV-I-V-IV-I. If you take for example something like Olivia by John Mayer it has the same harmony but in G. One thing to notice here is that the backing tracks uses color chord(moving up a half step before it goes to the next chord), those are explained in part 2 lesson 8 I believe. It's pretty easy to hear where they are.
    Thank you so much Ids! You're the best!

Reactions: Ed Seith and idssdi