• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Metalcore suggestions

Iris

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Oct 14, 2020
    Everett, Washington
    K. So I've been listening to WTF a lot lately. Love Shads vocals. Anyone have any suggestions for metalcore bands that sound similar? I'll admit that WTF is the closest I've ever been to metalcore. Unless you count Linkin Park (Hybrid Theory) but I think they're classed as Nu-Metal. They often come up as suggested videos when searching for A7X on youtube though. Thanks.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Not a huge WTF fan, but I do like a lot of metalcore. Try some Killswitch Engage, Times of Grace, Trivium (who have metalcore roots, but have a lot of thrash leanings, as well), Light the Torch, Ice Nine Kills (The Silver Scream rules), Atreyu, Between the Buried and Me... Lots of good stuff out there.

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    #WhatEdSaid I can vouch for Killswitch, Ice Nine Kills, Between The Buried and Me, and especially Trivium. I pre ordered an autographed cd from their last album, as well as an autographed cd for their new one. They've got a lot of great material through the years.

They're metalcore but they sound fairly different from A7X WTF, but they're material is damn good too if you can look past the singers shitty history. As I Lay Dying. Awesome melodies, kickass riffs, heavy vocals mixed with catchy clean chorus's.

Sylosis is another band worth checking out to in the metalcore scene. Specifically the Cycle of Suffering album.

Last edited:

Filip Tomiša

Nov 11, 2019
    Croatia
    www.youtube.com
    I went through a whole metalcore phase so I've been exposed to a bunch of metalcore bands and what I found is that 90% of them are super generic. However there are some bands that stand out from the rest like Parkway Drive, Killswitch Engage, Architects, As I Lay Dying, While She Sleeps.

Donovan Etue

• Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    I went through a whole metalcore phase so I've been exposed to a bunch of metalcore bands and what I found is that 90% of them are super generic. However there are some bands that stand out from the rest like Parkway Drive, Killswitch Engage, Architects, As I Lay Dying, While She Sleeps.
    I was thinking about Architects but I wasn't sure if it would be what he was looking for as he's looking for WTF style stuff. But yeah, Architects kicks goddamn ass. Their album Holy Hell is a banger and a half haha.

Filip Tomiša

Nov 11, 2019
    Croatia
    www.youtube.com
    I was thinking about Architects but I wasn't sure if it would be what he was looking for as he's looking for WTF style stuff. But yeah, Architects kicks goddamn ass. Their album Holy Hell is a banger and a half haha.
    Yeah they are amazing. I remember when they dropped Doomsday. I feel like they brought something new to the genre with that song and now every other band is trying to copy that.

Reactions: Donovan Etue
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Donovan Etue

• Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    I'll check it out and just fyi I'm a woman. 🙂
    I'm so sorry! I didn't know! I think I'm too used to expecting the other person I'm talking to being a guy while online. I shouldn't, especially on here where it seems to be a fairly even split gender wise. I will try to stop doing that from now on. I hope you enjoy the album as much as I did. The songs are very consistently good on that one in particular.

• Love
    Reactions: Iris

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    #WhatEdSaid I can vouch for Killswitch, Ice Nine Kills, Between The Buried and Me, and especially Trivium. I pre ordered an autographed cd from their last album, as well as an autographed cd for their new one. They've got a lot of great material through the years. They're metalcore but they sound fairly different from A7X WTF, but they're material is damn good too if you can look past the singers shitty history. As I Lay Dying. Awesome melodies, kickass riffs, heavy vocals mixed with catchy clean chorus's. Sylosis is another band worth checking out to in the metalcore scene. Specifically the Cycle of Suffering album.

The punctuation is iffy here - the "singer's shitty history" is referring to As I Lay Dying. Singer Tim Lambesis - fronting a "Christian metalcore band," made a credible attempt to have his wife assassinated. He did prison time for it. Just FYI. Their music may be awesome - I've never actually listened to it for no actual reason.

Iris

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Oct 14, 2020
    Everett, Washington
    I'm so sorry! I didn't know! I think I'm too used to expecting the other person I'm talking to being a guy while online. I shouldn't, especially on here where it seems to be a fairly even split gender wise. I will try to stop doing that from now on. I hope you enjoy the album as much as I did. The songs are very consistently good on that one in particular.
    We're good. I get it. 😁

Reactions: Donovan Etue

Gabby Heafy

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Apr 5, 2020
    www.instagram.com
    K. So I've been listening to WTF a lot lately. Love Shads vocals. Anyone have any suggestions for metalcore bands that sound similar? I'll admit that WTF is the closest I've ever been to metalcore. Unless you count Linkin Park (Hybrid Theory) but I think they're classed as Nu-Metal. They often come up as suggested videos when searching for A7X on youtube though. Thanks.
    I can suggest Trivium I love this band and also Asking Alexandria 🤘

Donovan Etue

• Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    The punctuation is iffy here - the "singer's shitty history" is referring to As I Lay Dying. Singer Tim Lambesis - fronting a "Christian metalcore band," made a credible attempt to have his wife assassinated. He did prison time for it. Just FYI. Their music may be awesome - I've never actually listened to it for no actual reason.
    Goddamn, I read through my post again and yeah, I probably should have arranged my sentences a bit better haha. It's been a very rough past 24hrs so I'm not 100% mentally here, so, sorry about that. Thanks for fixing it though Ed! Spot on though. I decided to look up one of the articles done on the events that transpired. From what I'm reading, Tim attempted to hire a hitman to assassinate his wife. But, problem was though that the hitman he attempted to pay was actually an undercover cop. This was in 2014. He ended up serving 2 years, finished his parole requirements, and ended up rejoining the band in 2018. I'm not sure why they'd bring him back after that.

• Wow
    Reactions: Iris and Ed Seith

Filip Tomiša

Nov 11, 2019
    Croatia
    www.youtube.com
    Since we are talking about AILD :ROFLMAO:

as i lay dying.png

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I can't think of anything that sounds like WTF and can't think of anymore band names that aren't already mentioned. If I remember right the AILD album with the fiery skull was labeled "The" metal-core album, like it had all the elements or set the standard. Maybe Bleeding Through could be metal-core but I don't remember any clean vocals so maybe they are more hardcore? I know people don't like to be labeled or put in boxes but it's useful when searching for similar stuff. I liked listening to post-hardcore for awhile and just music from around early 2000-2010, I thought that was how I should and wanted to play like, but now I like music I wasn't really into before, maybe I can try to get a nice mix of things through my own playing.

Reactions: Iris