• Having issues viewing lessons?

We're currently experiencing an issue with the video system we use and will get this fixed soon!

Monitor with Music

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    What are some ways to listen to a song and my guitar playing at the same time.
    I've been doing it with putting the song on YouTube through a speaker and turning my amplifier on separately.
    If I put on headphones for let's say the music, I would need to put my amp way louder to hear both.
    Only other way I can think of right now is, somehow uploading the song into my DAW and adding a guitar to play/monitor with it.

More specifically, I've been wanting to practice the drums from a song with my E .drums, but I can't wear 2 headphones.
    Starting to think about a signal splitter but I don't know yet.
    I used the word monitor instead of listen.

Hopefully this cleared it.

Thanks in advance! @Ed Seith

Upvote 0

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    What are some ways to listen to a song and my guitar playing at the same time.
    I've been doing it with putting the song on YouTube through a speaker and turning my amplifier on separately.
    If I put on headphones for let's say the music, I would need to put my amp way louder to hear both.
    Only other way I can think of right now is, somehow uploading the song into my DAW and adding a guitar to play/monitor with it.

More specifically, I've been wanting to practice the drums from a song with my E .drums, but I can't wear 2 headphones.
    Starting to think about a signal splitter but I don't know yet.
    I used the word monitor instead of listen.

Hopefully this cleared it.

Thanks in advance! @Ed Seith
    The way you play along on guitar is how I taught myself to play. It's the only way there was for the first 15-20 years.

It's possible your electronic kit has an audio input? Then you could add music from a stereo, computer, or iPod/phone to that, and have everything mix in the headphones. If that's NOT something you have in the kit, You could try a simple audio interface. I think the splitter you mention could possibly work, HOWEVER you might not have as much control as you'd like over the volume of each item.

Reactions: William B.
    Upvote 0

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    The way you play along on guitar is how I taught myself to play. It's the only way there was for the first 15-20 years.

It's possible your electronic kit has an audio input? Then you could add music from a stereo, computer, or iPod/phone to that, and have everything mix in the headphones. If that's NOT something you have in the kit, You could try a simple audio interface. I think the splitter you mention could possibly work, HOWEVER you might not have as much control as you'd like over the volume of each item.
    I'll try it, I think it's got that port. For sure I need to learn what all the gear does and eventually get an audio interface.
    Thinking about how it worked before ( tried it once ) the splitter isn't ideal cause how you said it.

I may or may not need an adapter or another cable.

Thanks cause then it's like limiting my options, in this case good

Reactions: Ed Seith
    Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection