• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Monitor with Music

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    What are some ways to listen to a song and my guitar playing at the same time.
    I've been doing it with putting the song on YouTube through a speaker and turning my amplifier on separately.
    If I put on headphones for let's say the music, I would need to put my amp way louder to hear both.
    Only other way I can think of right now is, somehow uploading the song into my DAW and adding a guitar to play/monitor with it.

More specifically, I've been wanting to practice the drums from a song with my E .drums, but I can't wear 2 headphones.
    Starting to think about a signal splitter but I don't know yet.
    I used the word monitor instead of listen.

Hopefully this cleared it.

Thanks in advance! @Ed Seith

Upvote 0

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    What are some ways to listen to a song and my guitar playing at the same time.
    I've been doing it with putting the song on YouTube through a speaker and turning my amplifier on separately.
    If I put on headphones for let's say the music, I would need to put my amp way louder to hear both.
    Only other way I can think of right now is, somehow uploading the song into my DAW and adding a guitar to play/monitor with it.

More specifically, I've been wanting to practice the drums from a song with my E .drums, but I can't wear 2 headphones.
    Starting to think about a signal splitter but I don't know yet.
    I used the word monitor instead of listen.

Hopefully this cleared it.

Thanks in advance! @Ed Seith
    The way you play along on guitar is how I taught myself to play. It's the only way there was for the first 15-20 years.

It's possible your electronic kit has an audio input? Then you could add music from a stereo, computer, or iPod/phone to that, and have everything mix in the headphones. If that's NOT something you have in the kit, You could try a simple audio interface. I think the splitter you mention could possibly work, HOWEVER you might not have as much control as you'd like over the volume of each item.

Reactions: William B.
    Upvote 0

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    The way you play along on guitar is how I taught myself to play. It's the only way there was for the first 15-20 years.

It's possible your electronic kit has an audio input? Then you could add music from a stereo, computer, or iPod/phone to that, and have everything mix in the headphones. If that's NOT something you have in the kit, You could try a simple audio interface. I think the splitter you mention could possibly work, HOWEVER you might not have as much control as you'd like over the volume of each item.
    I'll try it, I think it's got that port. For sure I need to learn what all the gear does and eventually get an audio interface.
    Thinking about how it worked before ( tried it once ) the splitter isn't ideal cause how you said it.

I may or may not need an adapter or another cable.

Thanks cause then it's like limiting my options, in this case good

Reactions: Ed Seith
    Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection