• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Moving In To The New Year...

J

Jak Angelescu

Hello everyone...
As most of you know, I have been very quiet for the last three weeks taking some much needed time to myself. But with it going in to the new year, I couldn't keep a big achievement to myself and I'd love to finally pass it on to all of you.

I use to shun the Etudes. I use to frown upon students who did nothing BUT the etudes. Well, I actually scoffed at students who would blow their hands off obsessing over the etudes, ignoring the lessons, and wondering why they can't get the etudes right when they don't even know how to hold a pick properly. I'll admit I started to get bored with JUST the lessons and JUST improvising over backing tracks. So I conjured up a new practice routine that I have been sticking to RELIGIOUSLY and it has been paying off TONS. According to classical repertoire, you shouldn't spend anymore than 10-15 minutes doing warmups because you don't want to fatigue your hands before your actual practice begins. And just because I can't do the ENTIRETY of an etude, I have picked out certain measures I CAN do and work on that measure alone to practice it.
Each day, I have been learning a new section of a beginner etude, getting better with it, and learning the next one. At first, I could only do part of Alt Pick 1 and part of Eco Pick 1. Now I'm on a part of the first pentatonic.

Here's the kicker though...
I spend one hour doing my warmups, then I work on THOSE SMALL SECTIONS OF THE FIRST ETUDES I CAN DO, and I practice those over backing tracks and in different keys (like Syn says to do in his tips). Those are my TECHNIQUE practices. I now am better with sweeping, eco, alt picking, and more. Now when I go to practice my lessons and it's time to improvise, I now have both the techniques and the theory and fretboard knowledge under my belt. Let me tell you, my solo writing, song writing, improvisational and even KEY theory knowledge has improved dramatically combining those two.
Then I spend about an hour working on ACHIEVABLE songs I can nail in a week. Afterwards I practice my own music. I actually write better music.

Also, I have made it a point to go to a jam once a week this year. And I invite you all to do the same.

So this is what I would like to pass on to you all...

Don't be afraid of the etudes. If you need help finding a section of the etude that would be achievable for your level, reach out to me. Only pick ONE part of the etude, even if it's just one. Work on it, add it over different backing tracks. When you can comfortably play that exercise STANDING UP up to speed, add another etude technique section and keep building. Don't do more than that. Less is better. You don't want to overwhelm yourself. Do a warmup first, and don't beat yourself in the face over how long you do it. It can be one simple exercise. Just do it. Also, work the etudes in with the lessons. Practice the scales your taught utilizing the etude techniques.
Pick a SMALL amount of a backing track for you to write a solo and jam over. Less is better. You don't want to overwhelm yourself thinking you have to pull a Angel Vivaldi and shred over a 7 minute long song. If you need help with this, reach out to me. I can cut a sample of the song out you want and send it to you. This would be good for beginners. Write music. And stick with it. Find songs that are achievable with what you're learning (beginners, the 90's era is the perfect era for you to delve into) and practice them. Practice standing up. And lastly...
Find a jam band/house band you can go and sit in with. Every major city and second major city has SOMETHING. Don't whine about it being an an hour away (unless you can't drive or don't have a car). It will benefit you MASSIVELY. You need to get out there and play. Hell, I remember sitting in with a house band for blues out in Los Angeles and a guy came up to me and said, "You ever thought about being in an all-female band?" Sure he was a fucking weirdo creep, but the point is you never know WHO will be watching that night. Also, a majority of these cats love when people of all ages, backgrounds, abilities and gear get up there and have fun. So don't be shy.

Stop being stuck on your computer upset about not going anywhere with your music. Get your shit off of YouTube and out in the real world. The music industry needs it this year. This school has been up for two years now. It's time for us veterans to take the jump into the next stages. So many of you are amazing songwriters, or you would make excellent studio musicians. The world is yours....go grab it by the horns.

In other news... I'm doing better than I have ever been. Staying off social media has been amazing for me. I've had three people who have been helping me along this nasty roadblock: Holly, Rowan, and Syn.

Yes, even Syn. When Rowan posted that status on my behalf, I got a text about five hours later from Syn saying, "If you need to talk, I will carve time out for you." I took the opportunity and even with sick kiddos and such a busy schedule, he was so incredibly kind and helfpul as I spilled out my guts to him. It was a moment where halfway through I said, "I just realized I'm literally barfing my life's trauma on to my idol and I feel so fucking awkward." I was terrified of him and Rowan judging me. They both know the same shit as Holly now. And none of them judged me. I can't believe they both listened to every word. It really meant gold to me because I was fucking at my wits end. Rowan in turn sent me and Holly some amazing home harvested honey, and a fucking amazing letter I'll never get rid of. Syn gifted me a book he has read which he thought would be helpful right now. It was. I'm just about finished and it has changed my life.
If you can, pick up the book "Essentialism" By Greg McKeown. I had no idea how much time I was wasting on shit that didn't matter. I was always in a rat race trying to think 10 steps ahead. Please read it. It's been a life saver, especially going into the new year. I read every thoughtful lovely message from you guys. And if I haven't responded to your texts, messages, or emails, it's not because I'm mad at you. I absorbed everything. But I'm still on the downlow. You all are fucking great. I know this was long, but I couldn't think of a better time to write.

To Holly, Rowan, Syn, Papa, and you all... I give my heart to you. I will be an active musician with extreme music consuming my life. I hope you all find peace this year. Much love...

Jak

Last edited by a moderator:

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Happy new year Jak!

I read that you included the etudes in your daily etude practice and I decided do that too. From next week I'll be spending 30 minutes(5 minutes for each etude) on the etudes every time I grab my guitar.

Glad to hear you're doing better!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Jak Angelescu

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    I saw you doing a Lot of etudes stuff lately and it's awesome! So good to also See YOU grow again in your Musical journey and giving us the opportunity to give Back that beautiful, Kind, caring Feedback you gave us on a daily basis.

I'm incredible happy for you that you have such awesome people caring and giving their time for you. I'm Not Syn and Not even Rowan, but be asure, you can call me a friend and also rely on me if you need Help or need to talk. I'm Sure that counts for a Lot of active members here.

Lastly I want to thank you for once again Sharing your wisdom with us. I'm starting to Work on the etudes as Well and might need some Help understanding your suggested Routine, but we will See where 2020 will Take my Musical journey. It's after 2am. In Germany. So Happy new year and on to another fantastic year for you and the SGS!

• Love

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    happy new year jak! I only recently started being more active, right after you took a break from social media, but i could see and feel the influence you have here. Im glad that you are doing well! I hope one of these days, if work allows, i can cut some time up to post videos and hopefully impress you guys! Much love from indiana🤘

• Love

Kai C

Nov 11, 2019
    Naha Okinawa
    @Jak Angelescu I think you're speaking the truth, especially about getting out there and hitting a live audience. I think for me personally what I'm loving about guitar is that I'm feeling actual connections. Sometimes it's just I'm through this school, but if I can share for a moment something that happened... I took lessons with a guy through the first 3 weeks of this month. It was amazing just sitting down and talking about this new passion. The last week I was in North Carolina my teacher invited me over to his house and we played for a little over 2 hours. Sometimes I would strum chords I've been learning and keeping time while he played (and he could play some mean blues). Other times we would switch and I'll tell you, just being able to find the root notes and improv between them felt so wonderful. I don't think I'll ever go out and write hit songs or play for sold out stadiums. Probably never even write one album. But I got that taste of that connection, without the need to even talk to them. And I want more of it. I love it.

Some advice I got the other day from someone here at the school (and this would probably apply more so to me than to you) was not to obsess over it. And that we're united in a passion. I truly feel this is a family. It's not a dream, but a goal to play with Syn and Papa one of these days. But I will also sometime sit down with you, and Ed, maybe Andrei, and hopefully Dominik (although he's across the sea), and anybody else here at the school. And we'll play. That's what I've loved more about this instrument in almost 7 months of playing versus the 20 years of drawing I've done. You have me as a fan; you've definitely earned the title of "really great dude". And whenever you release a record I'll be there to buy it. ~Kai

Ps. And if you don't start sending me and idea of what you want for your album art I'm going to keep spamming you with drawings.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

John Robinson

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Nashville tn.
    Hello everyone...
    As most of you know, I have been very quiet for the last three weeks taking some much needed time to myself. But with it going in to the new year, I couldn't keep a big achievement to myself and I'd love to finally pass it on to all of you.

I use to shun the Etudes. I use to frown upon students who did nothing BUT the etudes. Well, I actually scoffed at students who would blow their hands off obsessing over the etudes, ignoring the lessons, and wondering why they can't get the etudes right when they don't even know how to hold a pick properly. I'll admit I started to get bored with JUST the lessons and JUST improvising over backing tracks. So I conjured up a new practice routine that I have been sticking to RELIGIOUSLY and it has been paying off TONS. According to classical repertoire, you shouldn't spend anymore than 10-15 minutes doing warmups because you don't want to fatigue your hands before your actual practice begins. And just because I can't do the ENTIRETY of an etude, I have picked out certain measures I CAN do and work on that measure alone to practice it.
    Each day, I have been learning a new section of a beginner etude, getting better with it, and learning the next one. At first, I could only do part of Alt Pick 1 and part of Eco Pick 1. Now I'm on a part of the first pentatonic.

Here's the kicker though...
    I spend one hour doing my warmups, then I work on THOSE SMALL SECTIONS OF THE FIRST ETUDES I CAN DO, and I practice those over backing tracks and in different keys (like Syn says to do in his tips). Those are my TECHNIQUE practices. I now am better with sweeping, eco, alt picking, and more. Now when I go to practice my lessons and it's time to improvise, I now have both the techniques and the theory and fretboard knowledge under my belt. Let me tell you, my solo writing, song writing, improvisational and even KEY theory knowledge has improved dramatically combining those two.
    Then I spend about an hour working on ACHIEVABLE songs I can nail in a week. Afterwards I practice my own music. I actually write better music.

Also, I have made it a point to go to a jam once a week this year. And I invite you all to do the same.

So this is what I would like to pass on to you all...

Don't be afraid of the etudes. If you need help finding a section of the etude that would be achievable for your level, reach out to me. Only pick ONE part of the etude, even if it's just one. Work on it, add it over different backing tracks. When you can comfortably play that exercise STANDING UP up to speed, add another etude technique section and keep building. Don't do more than that. Less is better. You don't want to overwhelm yourself. Do a warmup first, and don't beat yourself in the face over how long you do it. It can be one simple exercise. Just do it. Also, work the etudes in with the lessons. Practice the scales your taught utilizing the etude techniques.
    Pick a SMALL amount of a backing track for you to write a solo and jam over. Less is better. You don't want to overwhelm yourself thinking you have to pull a Angel Vivaldi and shred over a 7 minute long song. If you need help with this, reach out to me. I can cut a sample of the song out you want and send it to you. This would be good for beginners. Write music. And stick with it. Find songs that are achievable with what you're learning (beginners, the 90's era is the perfect era for you to delve into) and practice them. Practice standing up. And lastly...
    Find a jam band/house band you can go and sit in with. Every major city and second major city has SOMETHING. Don't whine about it being an an hour away (unless you can't drive or don't have a car). It will benefit you MASSIVELY. You need to get out there and play. Hell, I remember sitting in with a house band for blues out in Los Angeles and a guy came up to me and said, "You ever thought about being in an all-female band?" Sure he was a fucking weirdo creep, but the point is you never know WHO will be watching that night. Also, a majority of these cats love when people of all ages, backgrounds, abilities and gear get up there and have fun. So don't be shy.

Stop being stuck on your computer upset about not going anywhere with your music. Get your shit off of YouTube and out in the real world. The music industry needs it this year. This school has been up for two years now. It's time for us veterans to take the jump into the next stages. So many of you are amazing songwriters, or you would make excellent studio musicians. The world is yours....go grab it by the horns.

In other news... I'm doing better than I have ever been. Staying off social media has been amazing for me. I've had three people who have been helping me along this nasty roadblock: Holly, Rowan, and Syn.

Yes, even Syn. When Rowan posted that status on my behalf, I got a text about five hours later from Syn saying, "If you need to talk, I will carve time out for you." I took the opportunity and even with sick kiddos and such a busy schedule, he was so incredibly kind and helfpul as I spilled out my guts to him. It was a moment where halfway through I said, "I just realized I'm literally barfing my life's trauma on to my idol and I feel so fucking awkward." I was terrified of him and Rowan judging me. They both know the same shit as Holly now. And none of them judged me. I can't believe they both listened to every word. It really meant gold to me because I was fucking at my wits end. Rowan in turn sent me and Holly some amazing home harvested honey, and a fucking amazing letter I'll never get rid of. Syn gifted me a book he has read which he thought would be helpful right now. It was. I'm just about finished and it has changed my life.
    If you can, pick up the book "Essentialism" By Greg McKeown. I had no idea how much time I was wasting on shit that didn't matter. I was always in a rat race trying to think 10 steps ahead. Please read it. It's been a life saver, especially going into the new year. I read every thoughtful lovely message from you guys. And if I haven't responded to your texts, messages, or emails, it's not because I'm mad at you. I absorbed everything. But I'm still on the downlow. You all are fucking great. I know this was long, but I couldn't think of a better time to write.

To Holly, Rowan, Syn, Papa, and you all... I give my heart to you. I will be an active musician with extreme music consuming my life. I hope you all find peace this year. Much love...

Jak
    Happy new year..im glad youre feeling better

• Love

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I could go into detail of how I got multiple slaps in the face this year. Its been confirmed my origional roommates lied to try to make me move, which I already assumed. And I see the guy who stole my guitars on facebook around town again, meaining he probably didnt get the time he deserved which also doesn't really surprise me. I debated about detailing the story and talking about how I pushed through it but quite frankly it wont feel like I pushed through until I get myself a replica of the Revenger. I have not seen another yet hit the internet anywhere, but I have seen Avengers. A guy on the schecter forum group was holding one for me, but he got an offer he couldn't refuse which I told him to do anyways. By years end, I will have one of the two. If its the Avenger, I will be finding HB 105 pick ups to put into it. It'll be as close as possible to the Origional.

I also plan to get session time in as soon as I can afford to. Ideally spring if I dont rush it. I will be getting my music onto spotify one way or another, I just rather not release it without drums. I'm still debating on rerecording guitar parts the revenger had. Well see how it sounds.

• Love

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    To Calvin,

It sucks how something like that can happen to a good person and you can't basically do shit about it.. BUT on the more bright side, you have great goals for this year! So hunt those goals down and keep rocking brother! 🤘🏻

Yeah whole situation is shitty honestly. You give people help and support once and they try to pry it from you everytime after. Then when they are done with you they toss you aside. Lost a lot of good friends this year. But it could have been worse.

Needless to day tho it's something that cant be dwelled on as you said nothing can fix what happened. One can only hope someone is dumb enough to take them to a store. Only way I'd ever see one again. Imagine that 10 years later.

Rute Rodrigues

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Portugal
    Hey Jak! Good know that you're better ❤. What you said about the etudes and the practicing stuff is interisting and Ill give it a try for sure! Im practicing sweeps right now. I also do waste more than 1hour warming up XD I just put a metronome and do 2 exercices with it and I think its so fun to play with a metronome lol. Ahhh Syn, nice that he helped you getting better, he is next level. I was about to send you a message to check you last week but I couldnt find ur insta acc anywhere. Wish you all the best, have a great year!

J

Jak Angelescu

@Jak Angelescu I think you're speaking the truth, especially about getting out there and hitting a live audience. I think for me personally what I'm loving about guitar is that I'm feeling actual connections. Sometimes it's just I'm through this school, but if I can share for a moment something that happened... I took lessons with a guy through the first 3 weeks of this month. It was amazing just sitting down and talking about this new passion. The last week I was in North Carolina my teacher invited me over to his house and we played for a little over 2 hours. Sometimes I would strum chords I've been learning and keeping time while he played (and he could play some mean blues). Other times we would switch and I'll tell you, just being able to find the root notes and improv between them felt so wonderful. I don't think I'll ever go out and write hit songs or play for sold out stadiums. Probably never even write one album. But I got that taste of that connection, without the need to even talk to them. And I want more of it. I love it.

Some advice I got the other day from someone here at the school (and this would probably apply more so to me than to you) was not to obsess over it. And that we're united in a passion. I truly feel this is a family. It's not a dream, but a goal to play with Syn and Papa one of these days. But I will also sometime sit down with you, and Ed, maybe Andrei, and hopefully Dominik (although he's across the sea), and anybody else here at the school. And we'll play. That's what I've loved more about this instrument in almost 7 months of playing versus the 20 years of drawing I've done. You have me as a fan; you've definitely earned the title of "really great dude". And whenever you release a record I'll be there to buy it. ~Kai

Ps. And if you don't start sending me and idea of what you want for your album art I'm going to keep spamming you with drawings.

You're a badass, Kai. Thank you and everyone for your loyal support. I need you to send me a truly polished, finished and scanned image. Something that you would send to a university. You're a fantastic artist but I need something truly polished and ready

• Love
    Reactions: Kai C

Kai C

Nov 11, 2019
    Naha Okinawa
    You're a badass, Kai. Thank you and everyone for your loyal support. I need you to send me a truly polished, finished and scanned image. Something that you would send to a university. You're a fantastic artist but I need something truly polished and ready

Fiiiine lol. I'm just trying to gauge what you're looking for that inspires "what this album is". Because I don't want to give you skulls and hellfire when you're looking for butterflies, or vice versa. My flight is tomorrow and I'll be getting my art supplies back in the next two to three weeks; I've been living off a mechanical pencil and a sketchbook for the last several months. So by next month I can have something for you, polished and ready.

• Haha
    J

Jak Angelescu

Fiiiine lol. I'm just trying to gauge what you're looking for that inspires "what this album is". Because I don't want to give you skulls and hellfire when you're looking for butterflies, or vice versa. My flight is tomorrow and I'll be getting my art supplies back in the next two to three weeks; I've been living off a mechanical pencil and a sketchbook for the last several months. So by next month I can have something for you, polished and ready.
    Great! It's simple. I'll email you a sample of what we're looking for

Ezequiel Romanko

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Argentina
    Hi Jak! i feel really glad that u are here again with us! happy new year and you're an amazing person we love you so much here on this comunity, is wonderful to see that you overcome the bad things happening in your life, take care and keep rocking. thanks for the book suggestion im gonna read it cuz i think it will help me a lot too.