• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Moving on stage

urares21

One Stringer
Dec 25, 2021
România
So I have a band, we are doing pretty good, we have like 6 concerts only one on a big open stage. My problem is that I am a very shy person and I can't really manifest on stage especially while playing guitar. We play metal so it is kinda required to set up the atmosphere. I don't know what to do or how to get overy shyness, like in my mind every thing I can think of to do on stage looks cringe

Reactions: William B.

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Maybe there's live footage of players you enjoy and try to emulate them, could be with a reflection. For shyness it's difficult, could try to get so embarrassed that you don't care anymore. In a Blink 182 video they went streaking, it's probably not a good idea.
    Best is maybe let your music sway you and give it power. Walking around with your guitar on while practicing helps move the focus from guitar to the surroundings. Just some stuff, I've never played a show or ever really in a band.

Reactions: urares21
    Upvote 0

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    So I have a band, we are doing pretty good, we have like 6 concerts only one on a big open stage. My problem is that I am a very shy person and I can't really manifest on stage especially while playing guitar. We play metal so it is kinda required to set up the atmosphere. I don't know what to do or how to get overy shyness, like in my mind every thing I can think of to do on stage looks cringe
    Hey! so this is something that I used to struggle with in my previous band along with performance anxiety. I'm also a shy person by nature.

I went from hardly moving live, to sort of overdoing it in my eyes and then dialing it back to what served the live performance better and also seemed less over the top.

From that whole experience, what I'd say is that you shouldn't feel compelled to perform in any way, other than what feels most natural to you. As the more comfortable you feel on stage, the more you will start to 'come out of your shell' naturally.

The best advice I can give is to be half lost in what you're playing & half attentive to your crowd. That's the sweet spot I eventually came to so that any gig I played felt more authentic and less like a performance.

The idea is that by being lost in what you're playing, you'll involuntarily show the crowd that you're into the music (which can be infectious) You'll maybe start to move more naturally because you won't be judging every move you're making in real time.

Also, If the audience see that you're comfortable, then they will loosen up as well. (It's useful to member that this is the main reason you're band is playing, to help people enjoy their night, leading to people going back to the bar & the club + yourselves making a good turn)

The 2nd half of the process, being attentive to your audience, can be something as simple as making very short (emphasis on short! 😂) periods of eye contact with someone as your playing, or simply looking up from what you're doing on your instrument - a great way to do this without looking anyone dead the eye is to perform to the back of the venue.

I'd say working on those two techniques live will help build your confidence as a performer. The thing to beat really is just your own impression of yourself, which only you will see, but it's always going to be there. Just know that you're playing these gigs because you're capable of playing your instrument well enough to, so let that work towards your confidence. And if you try something onstage that doesnt work & makes you cringe, the only thing that gets hurt is your ego - people have short memories 😊

Hope this helps! 🤟

Upvote 0

Devilreaper

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Dec 7, 2021
    Maryland
    Hey everyone I have been playing guitar for 42 years now and I have played live in several bands always suffered from stage fright took a break when some bad stuff happened and ended up joining the Military. I have now been medically retired since 2013 and have been struggling worse than ever with stage fright which has been compounded by serve anxiety PTSD and depression making the stage fright worse than ever before so I conquered it once but not sure how to now so I know all to well how it feels. Honestly I think the difference is before I was just scared to get on stage and now I have fear of everything which makes no sense to me but I can give advice for what worked for me in the past that no longer works for me. Hit me up and will do what I can I love playing music but if I can help others while trying to help myself get there again I am more than willing. :)

Upvote 0