• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Music and mental health

Iris

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Oct 14, 2020
    Everett, Washington
    What's up fam? So recently my mental health has gone into a steep and scary decline. And I never realized until I got this low how much music has helped me over the years. I came real close to saying "fuck this life" and I happened to hear "In The Light" by Zeppelin. And I realized that there is hope out there. This isn't the end. I wonder how many other times music has pulled me out without me even realizing it. Anyone else experience this? What music/artists have helped pull you back up and kept you going?

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    I can totally relate. For me, it was Linkin Park and A7x music mainly...and starting my guitar journey. I wasn't in a good place and I decided to do something I've always wanted to do, and here we are. Playing takes me to another place and I focus only on that, forgetting life problems for a while 💜

Last edited:

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    Yeah, I've definitely had this. A7X has been absolutely huge when it comes to keeping me going, but it's also a lot of the bands that I've recently found and started listening to, or those that I've been digging more into. Just gives me this feeling that there really is so much cool stuff out there to enjoy and get inspired by, and that's helped immensely. Bands like Set It Off have special meaning to me, Black Veil Brides had a song (When They Call My Name) that really resonated with me, and I finally got round to watching Iron Maiden's Flight 666 documentary the other day, and holy hell did it just give me this insane desire to get my ass in gear and be like them one day - Whether it's as a musician, or as part of the crew (roadie? photographer? Who knows!) for a band, y'know? 🤘 💀 🤘

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I get down a lot but it's gotten easier getting back up. Usually synth pop type of music is calming to me.
    Not sure if you'd like it, for some reason I'm thinking of The Smiths

Sorry the music I posted at first, I didn't know what it was about.
    But that music I do enjoy for some reason.

Last edited:

Iris

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Oct 14, 2020
    Everett, Washington
    I can totally relate. For me, it was Linkin Park and A7x music mainly...and starting my guitar journey. I wasn't in a good place and I decided to do something I've always wanted to do, and here we are. Playing takes me to another place and I focus only on that forgetting life problems for a while 💜
    Totally get that. Guitar is really what is keeping me going right now. My brain goes to bad places when I don't have anything to do. So recently whenever it starts going that way, I just grab a guitar and start dicking around or work on a song I'm learning. Helps a lot.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

David Aceves

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Yeah been their friend, naturally avenged has been there for me since I was a youngin' xD. Guitar, is the only thing I know that I can control and trying to play A7X solos has been a good anchor for me and the usual noodling. When ever I ain't feeling it, the guitar will always be there for me and helps me focus on something that I can control, you know. Your not alone friend we gotchu' 😁 🤘

Anna.VG

Campfire Attention Holder
    Mar 14, 2021
    Mexico
    www.instagram.com
    What's up fam? So recently my mental health has gone into a steep and scary decline. And I never realized until I got this low how much music has helped me over the years. I came real close to saying "fuck this life" and I happened to hear "In The Light" by Zeppelin. And I realized that there is hope out there. This isn't the end. I wonder how many other times music has pulled me out without me even realizing it. Anyone else experience this? What music/artists have helped pull you back up and kept you going?
    Oh I’ve been there so I can fully understand how you feel. There’s shit that has happened to me when I’m obsessed with a song and nowdays I can’t hear those songs bc they remains me of those shitty times. I don’t know why but the last time a song calmed me down was actually almost a year (Worst thing that has happened to me), it was a song from the soundtrack of the movie Tangled🤨 Hahah but usually when I have a bad day I just listen to some soundtracks of Patrick Doyle, it helps me a lot.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Music helps me vent my real life issues. It always has been there for me. Now I can write songs so others who relate know they arent alone. Music will always be there.

The Trash God

• Jan 2, 2021
    New Mexico
    www.instagram.com
    So I really relate this. All of last year and even this year I was in the pits. I was in such a negative headspace due to not only dysphoria issues, but being locked down with my family who is very unsupportive of me. Due to that I didn't feel accepted or loved and it really sent me down hill. Not to mention not being able to see my relatives and friends really hit me. I felt so alone. But last year I rediscovered Avenged Sevenfold and Three Days Grace. 2 bands I absolutely adored when I was 12/13. Listening to their music really helped me and helped comfort me. In the process I also discovered the band Ghost, and that really helped me as well. In fact rediscovering Avenged Sevenfold was what made me pick up a guitar and start learning it. So those really mean something special to me and are bands and people I will always be thankful for as they really pulled me out of the abyss and helped me live another day.

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Yes ! Music is cathartic. For me personally, in my angsty teen years it was Linkin Park, A7X, and Three Days Grace that got me through ALOT and it was mostly due to lyrical content. There’s nothing like listening to a song and feeling those lyrics 100% and realizing you’re not alone in those emotions or thoughts.

As I’ve gotten older though, when I’m going through things I feel like I focus less on the lyrics and more on the overall feel of the music.

Iris

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Oct 14, 2020
    Everett, Washington
    Thanks for sharing your stories guys. Also, I'm starting to feel like a grandma. I was 21 when COE dropped. :LOL: Also, I'm liking seeing Linkin Park mentioned. Hybrid Theory dropped when I was a sophomore in high school, Slipknots self titled album dropped the year before. Slipknot helped me get out all my feelings of anger that I had. I didn't understand why Hybrid Theory made such an impact on me until I was diagnosed with depression when I was 21. I apparently had had undiagnosed depression through middle school and high school and LP really explored those feelings of sadness and loneliness.

Kyle Roberts

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    1623553010294.png

Andrew Milner

• Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    Rise Against got me through high-school. Always felt so relieving to hear Tim scream in my fucking ears when I couldn't.

A7X and Rise Against got me through college and all stress that came with exams.

This Is Letting Go by Rise Against was the reason I quit a job once. It helped me stop feeling trapped on my environment. Corporate gaslights you a lot...

Tragedy + Time by Rise Against again made me realize I hate my job back in 2020.

So yeah, there were some times :LOL: .

G

Gemma G.S.

Avenged 100% got me through my high school days. I was on the cusp of 15 when COE came out, so that album specifically has special significance for me. I hated high school, like a lot of teens typically do, so I would blast them, The Used, My Chem, H.I.M. and a handful of others whenever I got the chance just to calm the teenage rage LMAO.

Music still has that calming affect for me to this day! It helps immensely with my anxiety, especially now that I've learned enough to be able to sit down and noodle on my own guitar for an hour or so. 😊 Music is so powerful, whether you're listening or playing. Great topic, Iris. 🤘🏻

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    I can definitely say that A7X saved my life. I discovered their music when I was in high school, and I was dealing with a lot of things (the year before, I was diagnosed with depression, panic disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. And then my grandpa got sick and died, then my aunt got sick and died, I was this confused teen that needed to choose what wanted to study in University - which would determine my career - plus all the teenage angst...). So, A7X was there for me all the time and helped me get through it all. Also, thanks to this band, I've met a lot of amazing human beings and made friends with people who are still in my life to this day, 12 years later. Music in general was always my escape, but A7X means the world to me!
    Last year, I had this huge mental breakdown, and this school was something that REALLY helped me overcome it. It's some kind of therapy. It helps me keep my sanity.

Aquamandy

• Feb 22, 2021
    Brazil
    When I was in school and high school I was the nerdy type of girl who did everything right and never missed a task, so people built up around me a wrong image of perfection, and I needed to be perfect all the time. I worried every day about failing, cause if so, I would disappoint people so hard or be a reason for people to laugh at my back. After all, I KNEW I WAS GOING TO FAIL someday because I was just a teen and nobody's perfect. And everybody fails too but people treated others like that was no big deal (because it really wasn't), so I never understood why my failing was so expected and why I didn't have this right too. 🙁
    So when I first listened to Nothing Else Matters by Metallica, specially the verse "I never cared for what they know... But i know", it really opened my eyes and helped me face society. I changed my point of view from that song and that's something I still carry on in my life: people will always talk about you, and sometimes it can be heartbreaking, you may know what people think about you but only you can determine if it affects you or not.
    I decided that I wouldn't care for anyone's gossips anymore, and that was like a weight taken off my shoulders, I finally could be myself and enjoy the process of doing things, instead of worrying about an impeccable result. Forever trusting in who I am, and nothing else matters 🤘🙃
    This particular music helped shape my personality today, but there are inumerous others that had helped me on bad times too and for that I'm very very grateful 🙌