• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

My first song!! Also need your help!

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Hey guys! I am super excited because I finally recorded my very first instrumental. It's called "The Descend of the Golden Dragon". This is by no means perfect but I am pretty proud of this being my first song and my first experience with some more complex recording. So I would love to hear your opinions on this.

However, the song is not finished, it's guitars only right now and still needs drums. But I have never recorded MIDI drums. I do have ideas for it but I'm in no state to make them real. So I wanted to ask around if somebody here would be interested in laying some drums down for me? This song won't be something commercial obviously, it's just for me.
    Once the track has drums I thought about maybe adding some bass notes, but not sure if the track needs it, so we'll see how it goes.

Some general information about this. Tempo should be 150Bpm and I mainly used the A Hirajoshi Scale as well as some A minor pentatonics. I recorded everything with my Schecter with Syn pickups, through my Boss Katana 100 MkII and with Reaper and I used the Plasma Pedal and Digitech Drop Pedal for some effects. The lessons on the school and my man @Chris Johnston really helped me learning and understanding everything I needed to make this happen. Also Chris gave me some great Feedback in the writing process and helped my with some effects on the track!

Edit: Cover to the Youtube videos is made by me as well

Last edited:
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Sounds really cool even without drums. Gives an eerie vibe, kind of like when you're in a castle and a damn Cyberdemon is just around the corner and you don't know it yet.

As for drums, I may be able to help you out. What DAW did you use? Reaper, Cubase, anything else?
    Thank you! I used Reaper

Reactions: Andrew Milner

Andrew Milner

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    Thank you! I used Reaper

That's a blessing to hear. So long as you give me the BPM you have used for the song and the bar number in Reaper where you want the drums to start, I think I may be able to help you out quite a bit.

Or I could just go wild, see how I can fit something on there based on how I feel the song :D.

Last edited:
    • Love
    Reactions: Chris Johnston

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    That's a blessing to hear. So long as you give me the BPM you have used for the song and the bar number in Reaper where you want the drums to start, I think I may be able to help you out quite a bit.

Or I could just go wild, see how I can fit something on there based on how I feel the song :D.
    Tempo is 150 Bpm, as already said in the text. Where do I see the bars? I would probably want drums starting at the heavy rhythm, at around 2:40. That would be so cool if you could help me out!

Andrew Milner

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    Tempo is 150 Bpm, as already said in the text. Where do I see the bars? I would probably want drums starting at the heavy rhythm, at around 2:40. That would be so cool if you could help me out!

Huh, I saw it now, must've missed it. As for the bar, it should be seen at the top of Reaper:

Reaper.JPG

Well done Dom! I love volume swells! :love:
    Good shit on the heavy part around 2:50! My main feedback would be EQ, there are a lot of low-mids muddying up your mix, especially on the intro. Also, if you layer another rhythm guitar on the part around 3:35 and hard pan it to the other side and put your lead on the center it will make a bigger sounding mix.
    Cool filter at 5:15 it's a good transition to the outro.

Composition wise, there are a lot of cool ideas here, my favourite lead was the one that started at 3:35. I would create a motif melody so that you have something that ties the whole composition together. I like that that you went back to the beginning theme at the end, it's a good close.

• Love
    Reactions: Dominik Gräber

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Well done Dom! I love volume swells! :love:
    Good shit on the heavy part around 2:50! My main feedback would be EQ, there are a lot of low-mids muddying up your mix, especially on the intro. Also, if you layer another rhythm guitar on the part around 3:35 and hard pan it to the other side and put your lead on the center it will make a bigger sounding mix.
    Cool filter at 5:15 it's a good transition to the outro.

Composition wise, there are a lot of cool ideas here, my favourite lead was the one that started at 3:35. I would create a motif melody so that you have something that ties the whole composition together. I like that that you went back to the beginning theme at the end, it's a good close.
    Thank you a lot! Not really savvy in mixing things, so I kinda don't know how to improve here. Do you mean like two panned rhythm guitars and the high lead melody in the centre? The Filter you mentioned is my wah pedal by the way!

You are right, a motif that's found in every part would have been cool. Although I kinda have one. The long scale run actually occures during the distorted part and twice clean, leading to the outro. I call it the dragon lick as it represents the dragons flight in my head. Also the lead section at 3:35 is actually based around the distorted solo that comes in during the clean intro :)

Reactions: AGA

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Kinda slow intro for me, but I really liked your lick that starts around 3:35. Then the harmonies you eventually started adding made it really cool too.
    Thank you! I thought about shortening it, but the Song Has the perfect length for me and when listening closely the Intro is ever evolving and Not repeating itself, so it's fine for me

Reactions: Lucas Weiman

Lucas Weiman

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Thank you! I thought about shortening it, but the Song Has the perfect length for me and when listening closely the Intro is ever evolving and Not repeating itself, so it's fine for me
    I feel like thats the most important thing, make sure you love it. And never stop adding in nuances to make things stand out.