• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

My new guitar is buzzing

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I just bought this brand new jackson js-32 and for some reason whenever i pluck the low E string it keeps buzzing although i'm not plucking it that hard. Keep in mind its brand new so should i contact jackson guitars and have it returned? Or is there an easy solution to that?
    Might be a slight adjustment, but could also be a nut cut too low. Can you bring it to where you bought it or call them? There's a LOT of things it could be without being a manufacturing defect, which is unlikely.

Does it buzz ONLY when you hit the open string? What about if you fret the first fret? Still buzz?

Upvote 0

medo jaradat

New Student
    Sep 11, 2022
    Congrats on your new guitar!
    It's possibly a slight adjustment with the truss rod, but I don't know how or if it's that for sure.
    Maybe @Ed Seith knows more or another with experience
    Thanks man
    I had a buzz on my prs on the 2nd fret a very small adjustment to the truss rod fixed that problem. Good luck.
    Ok perfect, thanks
    Might be a slight adjustment, but could also be a nut cut too low. Can you bring it to where you bought it or call them? There's a LOT of things it could be without being a manufacturing defect, which is unlikely.

Does it buzz ONLY when you hit the open string? What about if you fret the first fret? Still buzz?
    I bought it online off of the official site of jackson guitars so i won't be able to take it back there i don't think so at least. But yeah it does buzz when i fret on the first fret but also on many other frets but it's mainly on the first one and the open string.

Upvote 0

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Thanks man

Ok perfect, thanks

I bought it online off of the official site of jackson guitars so i won't be able to take it back there i don't think so at least. But yeah it does buzz when i fret on the first fret but also on many other frets but it's mainly on the first one and the open string.
    Okay, so your best first bet is to LOOSEN the truss rod 1/4 turn, then give it 24 hours to settle the wood and see if it’s better.

Your truss rod is under the triangular plastic cover right next to the J in the Jackson logo on the headstock. Remove the cover and use the Allen key (or other tool) the guitar came with.

If you have the guitar on a vertical stand and you look straight at it from the front, insert the tool into the screw head and follow the rule - righty tighty, lefty loosey. You want to loosen it 1/4 of a turn. You can leave the plastic off while you wait for it to settle.

Tell me tomorrow if it’s better.

Reactions: William B.
    Upvote 0

medo jaradat

New Student
    Sep 11, 2022
    Okay, so your best first bet is to LOOSEN the truss rod 1/4 turn, then give it 24 hours to settle the wood and see if it’s better.

Your truss rod is under the triangular plastic cover right next to the J in the Jackson logo on the headstock. Remove the cover and use the Allen key (or other tool) the guitar came with.

If you have the guitar on a vertical stand and you look straight at it from the front, insert the tool into the screw head and follow the rule - righty tighty, lefty loosey. You want to loosen it 1/4 of a turn. You can leave the plastic off while you wait for it to settle.

Tell me tomorrow if it’s better.
    Alright i'm going to do that. Thanks bro will let you know if anything happens.

Reactions: Ed Seith
    Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Well... it's been 48 hours... i can still hear buzzing.
    Maybe it's intonation, or some other thing like raising/lowering the saddle ( I don't know what that is ) or uneven fret.
    Hopefully not the last cause I read some about it saying stuff needed to be filed.

Here's a link from Ultimate-Guitar

I saw there's some videos but unsure which to watch

Upvote 0

medo jaradat

New Student
    Sep 11, 2022
    Maybe it's intonation, or some other thing like raising/lowering the saddle ( I don't know what that is ) or uneven fret.
    Hopefully not the last cause I read some about it saying stuff needed to be filed.

Oh shit thanks dude, it says to plug it in to see if there is any buzzing but i still havent got my amp yet

Reactions: William B.
    Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection