• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

my rhythm sucks what can i do

Domi Kova

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Croatia
hello my name is domi i was woundering what can i do for my rhythm i can follow basic rhythm like eighth notes sixteenth notes and quater notes with a metronome but a soon as i put on a backing track and play a song i suck and just get lost and confuzed...like i said i know how to follow the metronome but as soon as i start to play a song with it or with a backing track i get lost i dont know what to do ive been playng guitar for a year and 3 months and i can play harder songs but i cant do it with rhythm the same goes for easy songs i can play them and they sound good but as soon as i put on a backing track i cant follow the rhythm...does anybody have anny sugestions what to do because i dont know anymore i practice and practice but still no improvement..

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Nov 11, 2019
Indiana
Quit treating it like practice and just enjoy it. Just jam with the song. Playing with a song, or backing track is extremely beneficial in that it gives you more of a sense of feel and time. Yeah a metronome is good for techniques, but to practice actually playing songs you gotta just play with them and try and match it.

So when you listen to a song, really listen to the guitar. Listen for the changes, when to play what note, what riff, etc. it comes with time man, you just gotta play. Pick a slower song and start there until you get the hang of it. I hate to say it, but start with Smoke on the water. Just dont give up!

Domi Kova

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Croatia
Quit treating it like practice and just enjoy it. Just jam with the song. Playing with a song, or backing track is extremely beneficial in that it gives you more of a sense of feel and time. Yeah a metronome is good for techniques, but to practice actually playing songs you gotta just play with them and try and match it.

So when you listen to a song, really listen to the guitar. Listen for the changes, when to play what note, what riff, etc. it comes with time man, you just gotta play. Pick a slower song and start there until you get the hang of it. I hate to say it, but start with Smoke on the water. Just dont give up!
Thank you so much for the advice you just made my day

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I think it's SYNChronICity, it takes slow repetitive practice, gets boring sometimes.
    If possible practice the parts in sections of 1 or 4 individually and than practice connecting them.
    Slow is important, it's like learn to drive and now can learn to drive fast
    I think foot tapping and counting out loud is good
    i'v e been tapping my foot and counting

Reactions: Chris Johnston

Eduardo96

Garage band Groupie
    Sep 27, 2020
    There are a slot of things you can do. Here are just a few suggestions.

-Play the songs you already know, with a metronome and not the song/backing track playing in the background so that you know that you actually know how to play the song without (over) relying on prerecorded instruments to guide you.
    -Play a strict rhythm to a metronome and begin to add variances in your rhythm. Both planned and unplanned rhythms.
    -Force yourself to count in all the music that you play until you can feel every downbeat instinctually/subconsciously
    -Play prewritten and improvised licks to a metronome and try them on different down or upbeats to know how the phrases actually fit in time
    -Get a book that focuses on rhythm. Berklee's melodic rhythm's for guitar?
    -Jam with a friend who does have good rhythm, and play together without the assistance of backing tracks, except maybe a metronome and maybe prerecorded drums

Those are just some ideas

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Notyour Beezwax

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Play individual parts of songs with a metronome, slow it down if you have, like mind-numbingly slow, if that's what it takes. Or just practice riffs or chord progressions with a metronome over and over again, try this with 12 bar blues or other simple things before you increase the complexity. I have a Youtube looper plugin for Chrome that helps a lot too, you can loop parts of videos, and just focus on smaller sections, get one, they're free. Once you can play the parts individually start stinging them together. It'll take some time though, just make it a part of your regular practice and you'll get there though. Also jam with drum tracks on YT, even if you just play one not on the 2 and another on the 4, get in the pocket and feel that shit. Having good rhythm is important for guitar players and a lot of us don't have it so if you do you'll stand out.

• Love
    Reactions: William B.

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Singapore
    www.instagram.com
    Record yourself and listen to yourself play, then try to refine your technique.
    You will be surprised what you notice about your playing when you aren't actually playing.
    Adding on to this - you may wanna get someone else to hear it and help give some inputs too!

The mistake most of us tend to make is having that ego of "i'm right and no one can tell me i'm wrong", but in actually fact, there are times people can hear what we can't or haven't heard.

Cheers! :rock-hand:

Last edited:

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Youtube looper plugin for Chrome
    this is cool thanks a lot, i disn't know this was possible, had to loop guitar pro tabs all these years. i think most tabs are slightly wrong, can;t know for sure, obviously a lot still sound really good. read last night that there are problems with tabbing still, cause of limitations, stating some things are too difficult to tab
    thanks again!

Reactions: Chris Johnston

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Adding on to this - you may wanna get someone else to hear it and help give some inputs too!

The mistake most of us tend to make is having that ego of "i'm right and no one can tell me i'm wrong", but in actually fact, there are times people can hear what we can't or haven't heard.

Cheers! :rock-hand:
    This is a great point ! To follow it up, I’d suggest also to record yourself when you play and then watch it and see if you can see what’s going wrong.
    Also, you can always post up a video of yourself playing to the riffs section here and get some feedback on your playing as well 🙂

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    A metronome is the best thing for your time. Play whatever you want; rhythm or lead - and play it to a metronome. Mix up the times. If the song you're playing is 90bpm. Play it at 80. Play it at 85. Play it at 95. Mix it up.
    Also - advanced tip - best thing for time AND groove is playing the metronome on 2 & 4. So if your song is 100bpm, set your metronome for half (50bpm). When you start your metronome say 2 out loud with the first click and then say 4 with the second click. 2,4,2,4. Then add in the other numbers in-between. 2,3,4,1,2,3,4, etc. Say it a few time until it feels right. The metronome is now clicking only on the back beat. one TWO three FOUR, etc.
    There is NOTHING better for your time and groove than the 2,4 metronome.

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Singapore
    www.instagram.com
    A metronome is the best thing for your time. Play whatever you want; rhythm or lead - and play it to a metronome. Mix up the times. If the song you're playing is 90bpm. Play it at 80. Play it at 85. Play it at 95. Mix it up.
    Also - advanced tip - best thing for time AND groove is playing the metronome on 2 & 4. So if your song is 100bpm, set your metronome for half (50bpm). When you start your metronome say 2 out loud with the first click and then say 4 with the second click. 2,4,2,4. Then add in the other numbers in-between. 2,3,4,1,2,3,4, etc. Say it a few time until it feels right. The metronome is now clicking only on the back beat. one TWO three FOUR, etc.
    There is NOTHING better for your time and groove than the 2,4 metronome.
    100% agreed! I'm intending to do a metronome series on my IG channel too! Covering songs/solos only backed by a metronome. Hopefully it can help!