• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

My strings sound like crap

owen817

Garage band Groupie
  • Jan 24, 2022
    Fort Worth, TX
    I put on a new set of DR Black Beauties about a week and a half ago. It was sounding great until yesterday where my high e string just buzzes all the time no matter what fret its on. I have tried many different tunings to try and fix it. Most of the time I have it in drop c. Is it possible I have already killed that string? I'm more than likely going to go back to the EB HBST strings.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

owen817

Garage band Groupie
  • Jan 24, 2022
    Fort Worth, TX
    Buzz like that is almost ALWAYS a neck adjustment. Did you change gauges and/or tunings? It sounds like you need to loosen your truss rod a 1/4 turn.
    I do change tunings just not often. I switched from my usual Ernie Balls heavy bottom skinny tops to the DR Black Beauties. I have it in Drop C majority of the time. I think the coating on the strings may have something to do with it. The black is already coming off the 5th and 6th strings.

owen817

Garage band Groupie
  • Jan 24, 2022
    Fort Worth, TX
    What guitar do you have? And does it happen on every fret? You may be able to fix it by just raising the saddle. It’s either low saddle, uneven frets (hope to god not), or possibly neck issue.
    I have the Schecter Omen 6. The string buzzes on every fret. I'll do some tinkering when I get home from work and see if we can get the issue resolved.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Zach Schreiber

Campfire Attention Holder
    I have the Schecter Omen 6. The string buzzes on every fret. I'll do some tinkering when I get home from work and see if we can get the issue resolved.
    Yeah that sounds like a bow then, Omen’s don’t have individual saddle height adjustments. Especially since it’s almost every fret.

Reactions: owen817

Possessed Sinner

Free Bird Player
    Apr 6, 2021
    Czech Republic
    I put on a new set of DR Black Beauties about a week and a half ago. It was sounding great until yesterday where my high e string just buzzes all the time no matter what fret its on. I have tried many different tunings to try and fix it. Most of the time I have it in drop c. Is it possible I have already killed that string? I'm more than likely going to go back to the EB HBST strings.
    Check if your fret is flattened. Check your intonation. Check if your pickup isn't too high. If you have a floating trem, check if it is still leveled with the body.