• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Name this chord 🤟

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Hey guys, so I was just watching a video of a friend showing his new music & he described a chord he played simply as a 'C minor' - however the exact voicing of notes he played were: C F# G Eb- which sounded amazing - but not strictly a C minor chord, or even strictly from the C minor scale. If you ignore the F#, its C minor, but if you ignore the G and think of the F# as Gb its Diminished - but you can't ignore anything 😂

The full chord progression to give context was : G, C, G, ("C minor")

With the intervals R #4 5 b3- I had the idea of calling it a Lydian b3 chord (4th Mode in G Harmonic Major)

I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas or if I'm missing anything?

Cheers!

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Personally I like start chord names off by means of basic triads and in this case there's a basic Cm triad with the root, the minor third and the fifth. Since we typically name chords based on the root, the third and the fifth the F# would probably be an #11 for me making it an Cm#11.

Take into account that the only time you name something a 4 or a second it's a SUS chord otherwise you typically use 9 or 11 (like you count from after the fifth of bother the third and the fifth are present) at least that's how I always understood it

Reactions: Chris Johnston

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I saw a book once it had like 3000+ chords with fingerings
    It had the fretboards with numbers and the the chord names
    like all the A chords and so on
    Would be cool for a reference or if get stuck while writing

Maybe those notes is a cool chord progression
    C F# G Eb

Reactions: Chris Johnston

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Personally I like start chord names off by means of basic triads and in this case there's a basic Cm triad with the root, the minor third and the fifth. Since we typically name chords based on the root, the third and the fifth the F# would probably be an #11 for me making it an Cm#11.

Take into account that the only time you name something a 4 or a second it's a SUS chord otherwise you typically use 9 or 11 (like you count from after the fifth of bother the third and the fifth are present) at least that's how I always understood it

Cmin#11 makes sense for sure 👌 Yeah you're absolutely right regarding the naming as #11 rather than #4, as you're dealing with Upper Extensions to a chord

Reactions: Ed Seith