• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Need help changing my strings

Liesl🤘🏼

New Student
Nov 10, 2020
Belgium
Hey everyone, i’m gonna sound like such a noob but I literally can’t change my guitar strings, and i have watched I think every youtube video that’s on the internet and i don’t know anyone personally that plays guitar so i can’t ask, so here’s what I’m struggling with: I put the string trough the bridge and I basically do everything that I have to do but then my string always ends up buzzing against the fredboard, idk what i’m doing wrong cause i’ve tried it numerous different ways and always end up trowing away new guitar strings and i end up giving my guitar to the guitar store, so i’d appreciate any suggestions as to what i’m probably doing wrong or what I should do.

greetings

Reactions: Alicia Willis

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    To me it doesn't seem like you are doing anything wrong on the changing strings side of things. I think you simply need to readjust your guitar!

Now be wary that string buzz can be caused by many things. And I would say that its impossible to completely eliminate string buzz as even custiom shop guitars have string buzz when played (I worked at a guitar store).

So to me, it comes down to 2 things:

- Your guitar needs to be readjusted. Sometimes, fret buzz is caused by the strings being too close to the fretboard. To resolve that, just need to readjust the truss rod and all of that.

- Adjusting your technique as well. Now I dont know you and your skills, so by no mean see this as an attack. Technique can be a huge factor. If your fingers are not positioned well or if the technique is not fluid, it will cause string buzz. And for this issue, patience and practice are your solution!

From the info you gave, this is what I think may happen. New strings have no impact on fret buzz by themselves. The only way changing strings can cause issue is if you drastically change the gauge of them but then again, this will affect the neck and the truss rod so it goes back to my first point!

Now I can invite you to also post a video of you presenting the issue and this will probably help us understand better your problem and will allow us to help you resolve this issue even more! All said and done, don't hesitate to ask if something wasn't clear or if you need more help! :)

Liesl🤘🏼

New Student
    Nov 10, 2020
    Belgium
    To me it doesn't seem like you are doing anything wrong on the changing strings side of things. I think you simply need to readjust your guitar!

Now be wary that string buzz can be caused by many things. And I would say that its impossible to completely eliminate string buzz as even custiom shop guitars have string buzz when played (I worked at a guitar store).

So to me, it comes down to 2 things:

- Your guitar needs to be readjusted. Sometimes, fret buzz is caused by the strings being too close to the fretboard. To resolve that, just need to readjust the truss rod and all of that.

- Adjusting your technique as well. Now I dont know you and your skills, so by no mean see this as an attack. Technique can be a huge factor. If your fingers are not positioned well or if the technique is not fluid, it will cause string buzz. And for this issue, patience and practice are your solution!

From the info you gave, this is what I think may happen. New strings have no impact on fret buzz by themselves. The only way changing strings can cause issue is if you drastically change the gauge of them but then again, this will affect the neck and the truss rod so it goes back to my first point!

Now I can invite you to also post a video of you presenting the issue and this will probably help us understand better your problem and will allow us to help you resolve this issue even more! All said and done, don't hesitate to ask if something wasn't clear or if you need more help! :)
    Thanks very much for your reply, but the weird thing is that i give my guitar to my local guitar store and they change the strings and then there is no buzzing, and it’s definitely not my technique cause i don’t have problems with buzzing once the strings are changed by someone else, I would make a video but my guitar is now at the guitar store once again for new strings and then they’ll last another 3 months so I could only make a video in 3 months. I really really appreciate the help, thanks a lot

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Thanks very much for your reply, but the weird thing is that i give my guitar to my local guitar store and they change the strings and then there is no buzzing, and it’s definitely not my technique cause i don’t have problems with buzzing once the strings are changed by someone else, I would make a video but my guitar is now at the guitar store once again for new strings and then they’ll last another 3 months so I could only make a video in 3 months. I really really appreciate the help, thanks a lot
    Ouh okay well that's indeed very strange. So basically you are saying that the fret buzz appears only when you change the strings right?

So then my next question is, are the old string buzzing as well? Could it be that because the guitar store do a slight adjustment on the guitar everytime might help? I have to say its an odd situation

Also what's your guitar?

Liesl🤘🏼

New Student
    Nov 10, 2020
    Belgium
    Ouh okay well that's indeed very strange. So basically you are saying that the fret buzz appears only when you change the strings right?

So then my next question is, are the old string buzzing as well? Could it be that because the guitar store do a slight adjustment on the guitar everytime might help? I have to say its an odd situation

Also what's your guitar?
    Yes, it’s indeed weird. I play on a Jackson, and no the old strings don’t buzz.

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    What kind of guitar do you have ? I’m needing to change strings on a couple of mine, I could make a quick video if I have a similar guitar/bridge system to whatever you’re using.
    Edit: just saw you have a Jackson. What kind of bridge do you have ? Hardtail , trem, Floyd ?
    is it all of the strings or just one ?

Reactions: Liesl🤘🏼
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Liesl🤘🏼

New Student
    Nov 10, 2020
    Belgium
    What kind of guitar do you have ? I’m needing to change strings on a couple of mine, I could make a quick video if I have a similar guitar/bridge system to
    What kind of guitar do you have ? I’m needing to change strings on a couple of mine, I could make a quick video if I have a similar guitar/bridge system to whatever you’re using.
    Edit: just saw you have a Jackson. What kind of bridge do you have ? Hardtail , trem, Floyd ?
    is it all of the strings or just one ?
    Thank you very much, I would really appreciate that. I play on a jackson and there’s a picture of my bridge bellow.

Attachments

• B4C4831F-A42A-4C00-9775-70D5ABB76D9E.jpeg
      B4C4831F-A42A-4C00-9775-70D5ABB76D9E.jpeg
      36.3 KB · Views: 114

Adin Shepherd

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hmm, this is a weird one.

The first thing that springs to mind is string guage. If you are using a bigger guage than the store is fitting that could cause a buzzing issue (but I assume you tell them what guage you want).

Perhaps next time you take it in, explain the issues you have when you change strings and ask if it is possible for them to show you how they do it.

Reactions: Liesl🤘🏼

RichieGoh

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Jun 13, 2020
    Sarawak, Malaysia
    youtube.com
    Hey everyone, i’m gonna sound like such a noob but I literally can’t change my guitar strings, and i have watched I think every youtube video that’s on the internet and i don’t know anyone personally that plays guitar so i can’t ask, so here’s what I’m struggling with: I put the string trough the bridge and I basically do everything that I have to do but then my string always ends up buzzing against the fredboard, idk what i’m doing wrong cause i’ve tried it numerous different ways and always end up trowing away new guitar strings and i end up giving my guitar to the guitar store, so i’d appreciate any suggestions as to what i’m probably doing wrong or what I should do.

greetings
    I think the action of your strings is too low. Causing the string to vibrate against the fretboard when you pick/pluck the string. Try to raise the action on your bridge. If you're not sure you can send them to any local guitar luthier to do it for you or you can search on youtube on how to adjust your strings action/strings height so you can do it yourself. It's always better to learn to do things by yourself and save money though😊

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I think I see the problem. Without all six of the strings on and at some level of tension, the floating bridge is being pulled back by the springs underneath.

Am I correct in assuming you remove all the strings, and then when you get the first new string on, it buzzes and you get frustrated?
    If that is the case, you need to put ALL of the strings on and start tightening them, so the bridge starts getting brought back to where it belongs. Once there's enough string tension on the bridge, you should get the clearance you need.

Please try this before you take any of the steps recommended above, and let me know.

Liesl🤘🏼

New Student
    Nov 10, 2020
    Belgium
    I think I see the problem. Without all six of the strings on and at some level of tension, the floating bridge is being pulled back by the springs underneath.

Am I correct in assuming you remove all the strings, and then when you get the first new string on, it buzzes and you get frustrated?
    If that is the case, you need to put ALL of the strings on and start tightening them, so the bridge starts getting brought back to where it belongs. Once there's enough string tension on the bridge, you should get the clearance you need.

Please try this before you take any of the steps recommended above, and
    Thank you very much, I would really appreciate that. I play on a jackson and there’s a picture of my bridge bellow.
    Yes, I do remove the back plate.