• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Need help on scales

Pablo De Miguel

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    Hi everyone :)
    I am preparing my self for an access test for a music career, I think that i'm almost ready to pass that test, but few days ago I looked for an example test on the music conservatory website to know the structure of the test. On the example test there's a scale identification exercise where I saw a C major scale with a flated six and a flated seven, that flated six confused me because I didn´t know any mode or scale with a flated six and a flated seven so I asked a friend of mine that's currently studing the carrer that I want to study about that scale and he told me that that scale is a mixolydian b13 scale.
    So, my questions are: How can I identify those weird alterations? Can I find those weird alterations on every scales and modes or only on specific ones? That strange mixolydian scale that I mentioned has a flated six, then, Why is it called mixolydian b13 instead of mixolydian b6? Can I find those alterations on every degree of the scale? How does the name of the scale/mode varies with each alteration?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Mixolydian b13 is the 5th mode of the melodic minor scale. Basically each scale has modes, phrygian dominant is the 5th mode of harmonic minor, Hungarian minor is the 4th mode of double harmonic major, super locrian is 7th mode melodic minor etc. If they are asking those kinda scales it won't be enough to just now the Greek modes, you need to know the ones of melodic minor and harmonic minor too.

Last edited:

Moonrunner

Campfire Attention Holder
    Nov 11, 2019
    Galicia
    twitter.com
    Mixolydian b13 is the 5th mode of the melodic minor scale. Basically each scale has modes, phrygian dominant is the 5th mode of harmonic minor, Hungarian minor is the 4th mode of double harmonic major, super locrian is 7th mode melodic minor etc. If they are asking those kinda scales it won't be enough to just now the Greek modes, you need to know the ones of melodic minor and harmonic minor too.
    Thanks for an elaborated answer
    May I ask Do you recommend any youtube video that could help me understand this better? I just know the Greek modes and I would like to learn more!
    Cheers

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Thanks for an elaborated answer
    May I ask Do you recommend any youtube video that could help me understand this better? I just know the Greek modes and I would like to learn more!
    Cheers
    Tbh, I don't know any YouTube theory sources except for songwriting. But I do know something better.

You could also Google modes Harmon minor scale, modes melodic minor scales or modes double harmonic major. That really what I do tbh

Reactions: Moonrunner
    Synner Endless Summer Collection