• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Need Help With a Band Name :(

J

Jak Angelescu

Hey everyone! Throughout the years, my singer and I have changed the name of our band so many times I can’t even keep track. We felt like as our songs evolved, our name didn’t fit. For example, we started off writing these very 80’s rock and roll glam rock stuff so our name fit us, but nowadays our sound has completely shifted to a more raw, in-depth and mature sound that it doesn’t seem to fit. Like, you would never imagine a band named Faster Pussycat writing a song like Cowboys From Hell.
Because of the different styles and sounds our songs can have, we are having the HARDEST time thinking of a band name that fits US musically and personally. We have stuff that’s written kind of like Skid Row’s “Slave to the Grind” album, to Testament’s “Souls of Black” album, to even a country-esque pop song, industrial, powermetal, thrash punk, and even just straight up heavy metal and rock n’ roll.
We HAD a name that we thought fit us really well. Both with attitude, song style and everything. But the name is actually a legit “word-for-word” song title of a band. And no matter how we try to change the wording, it sounds stupid. So we’re afraid of legal complications because of it.
And some names we have come up with that we liked, they were already a part of another band’s name that has been trademarked or there were 10000000 other Soundcloud bands with the same name.
We also don’t want a ‘festival slot-filler band’ sounding name. And I mean bands like August Burns Red, Tall As Lions, Bring Me The Horizon, etc. These are all well-known bands but their names don’t really stand out.
To be honest, the name we wanted really badly was inspired by an A7X song. But with how ridiculous people are with “you copied this person” we don’t want any legal issues and we don’t want to be trailing on A7X’s tail in ANY way, shape, or form.
This has been an ongoing battle for 15 years and we are recording at the end of July and really need to finalize something 🙁 Any ideas or suggestions or advice? Unfortunately, fuzzy kittens can’t help me on this one.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I really am not good with bandnames at all. Maybe try to get a book and put your finger on a bunch of random words and see what comes out of it. The name Avenged sevenfold actually comes from chapter four in the bible so they more or less did the same thing.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jen Hapke

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Maybe it would help us if you can tell us the name you wanted. So we know what direction the name should go.
I don’t think that I am good at thinking of names. I think if I would have a band I would call it “Dream until Death”. But I haven’t wasted much thoughts about it. I just like it.
I think it is nice to have a band name that means something to you and that sounds good. It should be easy to say and remember and of cause recognizable. In the best case it is also unique.
A “funny” story to the copyright problem: I actually have a first album of the band Deadset Society. As I bought it they were called Never Say Die but they had to change the name. So now I have quite a unique album 🙂

J

Jak Angelescu

Thank you so much everyone for their responses! And @andrew, I am definitely going to use that. Because yes, I see what you did there, and I love it for a very personal reason.
I’m going to use it, although not in a band name way, but in a different way. And you’re totally getting loads of credit for it because you just gave me an idea. A BIG idea.

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Came here to post something serious… But I am laughing my ass off @Ed haha.
    But @jak when you said you changed your style many times and play many songs that are different from each other musically, the first thing that popped in my head was “so why not using that? Something with ‘Variety’ in the name?” Just an idea. Also words like Death and Dream are things that kinda stick out in a bandname. Eg. I am in love with the Name Dream Theater, although I don’t really listen to them.
    Tell me what you think^^

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Zaragoza, Spain
    When I walk home from work I often see a cat behind a window and think *Cat behind the window* would be a good name for a band 😂😂
    What about “The cat is dead, f***the cat”??
    I also have a fetish name for a band. “Sick shit”. But this name requires punk music…I am a punk rocker trapped in the body of the loving mom of a 7 year old kid, what can I do?

Gerben

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Between The Buried And Me got their name from a lyric from a different (quite unrelated) band/song, forgot which it was. But you can try the same. Find a song you think has good lyrics and look for something that might fit without it sounding very copycat.