• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Need help with guitar

Maxi?

Garage band Groupie
  • Jan 6, 2020
    Colombia
    Hello folks, hope it's going very well in this hard times, i write this to ask for help, i'm thinking to buy a new guitar but i'm in between two options schecter or yamaha, i saw some comments about the schecter one but they were very neggative to the point i can't belive it so i came here to ask for help, honestly i think it's a very good guitar for the price 320 usd aprox, i just want to know your opinion about both guitars and help me to make a wise choise, really appreciate the help 🖤

Maxi?

Garage band Groupie
  • Jan 6, 2020
    Colombia
    Reactions: Alicia Willis

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I don't really have any experience with yamaha whatsoever but I do know Schecter makes some great affordable guitars. One thing to look out for with the floyd is that cheap floyd's usually don't have as good tuning stability as the more expensive ones.
    I tried one in a store one time, barely touched it and it went completely out of tune

• Sad
    Reactions: Maxi?
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Alright so from experience, Yamaha are usually reaaaally good. It may not seem like it but their mid range guitars are really amazing. That being said, I took a look at the package you are looking at and checked the specs. Technically speaking, you get more with the Yamaha kit as it comes with amp and accessories. The schecter SGR series just come with a gigbag if memory serves right. So in terms of value of content, Yamaha.

Now, which one would be the best? Honestly, we are talking here about entry level guitars so the quality will more often than not be a gamble. They will be fine either way because in the end their purpose is to get you started you know? Both seem to be made in china, they use the usual woods for these level of instrument. But if I'd have to chose the guitars solely on specs, I would go with the schecter.

However as Ids mentionned, it has a Floyd Rose. And seeing as its an entry level guitar, chances are that its going to be unstable and floyd rose are difficult to adjust if you dont know what you are doing. It's not impossible but its definitely something you need to be aware of. Adding to the fact that Floyds will lock your tuninng so that is definitely something I would take into consideration.

So in conclusion, if you are just picking up guitar for the first time, I would go for the Yamaha kit. The Schecter has risks to frustrate you very fast with the floating bridge. And as mentionned, if you are a beginner the truth is, you will not really feel or see the difference of quality. Picking up a guitar and having a feel for it and knowing if its gonna be good or bad (for you) requires a certain level of experience. Knowing yourself as a guitar player and what you want/need or what you don't like, etc. And im saying that as someone who tried a lot of guitars including high level custom shop and just didnt feel for them. And yet eventually someone comes, tries it and its the perfect guitar for them!

However, if you already have an electric guitar and this would be your second one, I would suggest to skip them as they are not much of an upgrade and save up for something better! I hope I help and I wish you good luck in your search! :)

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Singapore
    www.instagram.com
    Hello folks, hope it's going very well in this hard times, i write this to ask for help, i'm thinking to buy a new guitar but i'm in between two options schecter or yamaha, i saw some comments about the schecter one but they were very neggative to the point i can't belive it so i came here to ask for help, honestly i think it's a very good guitar for the price 320 usd aprox, i just want to know your opinion about both guitars and help me to make a wise choise, really appreciate the help 🖤

Comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges. Pretty different and it entirely depends which one you're most comfortable with. Head out to the store and try both. Opinions matter, but the end user comfort and preference is usually the main point of consideration.

Cheers!

Maxi?

Garage band Groupie
  • Jan 6, 2020
    Colombia
    Thanks to everyone for the support really appreciate it, i saw the schecter guitar like 4 months ago and really fell in love with it because its like syn custom "mega cheaper version lmao" but you got me, here in latam is almost impossible to get a custom 💔.

Alright so from experience, Yamaha are usually reaaaally good. It may not seem like it but their mid range guitars are really amazing. That being said, I took a look at the package you are looking at and checked the specs. Technically speaking, you get more with the Yamaha kit as it comes with amp and accessories. The schecter SGR series just come with a gigbag if memory serves right. So in terms of value of content, Yamaha.

Now, which one would be the best? Honestly, we are talking here about entry level guitars so the quality will more often than not be a gamble. They will be fine either way because in the end their purpose is to get you started you know? Both seem to be made in china, they use the usual woods for these level of instrument. But if I'd have to chose the guitars solely on specs, I would go with the schecter.

However as Ids mentionned, it has a Floyd Rose. And seeing as its an entry level guitar, chances are that its going to be unstable and floyd rose are difficult to adjust if you dont know what you are doing. It's not impossible but its definitely something you need to be aware of. Adding to the fact that Floyds will lock your tuninng so that is definitely something I would take into consideration.

So in conclusion, if you are just picking up guitar for the first time, I would go for the Yamaha kit. The Schecter has risks to frustrate you very fast with the floating bridge. And as mentionned, if you are a beginner the truth is, you will not really feel or see the difference of quality. Picking up a guitar and having a feel for it and knowing if its gonna be good or bad (for you) requires a certain level of experience. Knowing yourself as a guitar player and what you want/need or what you don't like, etc. And im saying that as someone who tried a lot of guitars including high level custom shop and just didnt feel for them. And yet eventually someone comes, tries it and its the perfect guitar for them!

However, if you already have an electric guitar and this would be your second one, I would suggest to skip them as they are not much of an upgrade and save up for something better! I hope I help and I wish you good luck in your search! :)
    It's going to be my second guitar so i'm only interested in the guitar no a kit, hopefully soon i'll test de schecter in the store (hope they have the guitar in store, here in latam you can expect everything) I also saw a lot of videos explaning about the floyd rose and all the headaches it can give u, but i want to give it a try to do all of that crazy stuff, about the part that Radu said that i should save for something better i really want to but i can't i have no employ and that is my budget right now

It's so sad but for me it is a big update or that is what i think, i been playing a copy of stratocaster that my father give me with more than 10 years of use, last time i went to the luthier he told me the soul was really damaged, so right now im playing with the mismatched soul and 5 strings lmao. Anyway i still having fun and learning, i guess it's the beauty of doing something that you are passionate about and love.

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Singapore
    www.instagram.com
    Thanks to everyone for the support really appreciate it, i saw the schecter guitar like 4 months ago and really fell in love with it because its like syn custom "mega cheaper version lmao" but you got me, here in latam is almost impossible to get a custom 💔.

It's going to be my second guitar so i'm only interested in the guitar no a kit, hopefully soon i'll test de schecter in the store (hope they have the guitar in store, here in latam you can expect everything) I also saw a lot of videos explaning about the floyd rose and all the headaches it can give u, but i want to give it a try to do all of that crazy stuff, about the part that Radu said that i should save for something better i really want to but i can't i have no employ and that is my budget right now

It's so sad but for me it is a big update or that is what i think, i been playing a copy of stratocaster that my father give me with more than 10 years of use, last time i went to the luthier he told me the soul was really damaged, so right now im playing with the mismatched soul and 5 strings lmao. Anyway i still having fun and learning, i guess it's the beauty of doing something that you are passionate about and love.

Don't worry about the floyd rose. It's only hard if you think it is. Hahaha. All my guitars are FloydRose-equipped and i've loved it since day one.

Good luck man!

Last edited:

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal

Ah I see. I understand your situation and that changes things a bit.

In that case, in your situation, go with the SGR. I think you will have a much better time with it than with the Yamaha. Dont worry about the quality, it will already for sure be better than the strat copy I believe.

That being said, I will respectfully disagree with Muz Malek on his statement about Floyds. it's not because its easy for him that its going to be easy for you. And floyd rose on high end synysters are not the same as floyd rose on low end guitars. They may be similar in prinicple however there is a reason the material and other details are different. Low end floyd could be quite unstable and if that happens, that's okay. You can just lock it and have it non floatable. Again, not to start any trouble but floyds are not for everyone and are for sure not easy to use. If they would, you wouldn't see all these topics asking for help.

Good luck with that! As long as you have a guitar in your hands, the rest will come with time!

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Singapore
    www.instagram.com
    Ah I see. I understand your situation and that changes things a bit.

In that case, in your situation, go with the SGR. I think you will have a much better time with it than with the Yamaha. Dont worry about the quality, it will already for sure be better than the strat copy I believe.

That being said, I will respectfully disagree with Muz Malek on his statement about Floyds. it's not because its easy for him that its going to be easy for you. And floyd rose on high end synysters are not the same as floyd rose on low end guitars. They may be similar in prinicple however there is a reason the material and other details are different. Low end floyd could be quite unstable and if that happens, that's okay. You can just lock it and have it non floatable. Again, not to start any trouble but floyds are not for everyone and are for sure not easy to use. If they would, you wouldn't see all these topics asking for help.

Good luck with that! As long as you have a guitar in your hands, the rest will come with time!
    I appreciate your statement. I apologize for not making my simple statement a little bit more detailed haha.

I'd like to point out, that just like getting an affordable regular guitar, Floyd Rose, as you have mentioned has it high end and low ends too.

Allow me to share I did start out with a normal strat copy with a hardtail in my early years, until I felt the need to use a Floyd Rose. Years later, I got myself a guitar with a low end Floyd Rose like the Floyd Rose Specials/Licensed. I'm replying based on context that he's given about Floyd Roses in general. I'm not sure if it helps but I'd like to share that I've had a fair amount of experience servicing all sorts of floating tremolos from Floyd Rose, Edge systems, etc.

The point I wanted to bring across is the fact that it takes time to get used to the Floyd Rose, setting up and restring. And regardless if it's a high-end system or not, they all require some getting used to. It's not like I was born with the skill to easily operate & maintain the Floyd Rose. I've had a fair few experience in setting them up wrongly and had strings snapped a few times, only to get better at it.

All I know was I wanted to use a Floyd for all the fun things we can do with it, and with it will definitely, just like any guitar technique, comes with a little bit of obstacle here and there. Not everything "has to be easy" by default.

Cheers :)

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    I appreciate your statement. I apologize for not making my simple statement a little bit more detailed haha.

I'd like to point out, that just like getting an affordable regular guitar, Floyd Rose, as you have mentioned has it high end and low ends too.

Allow me to share I did start out with a normal strat copy with a hardtail in my early years, until I felt the need to use a Floyd Rose. Years later, I got myself a guitar with a low end Floyd Rose like the Floyd Rose Specials/Licensed. I'm replying based on context that he's given about Floyd Roses in general. I'm not sure if it helps but I'd like to share that I've had a fair amount of experience servicing all sorts of floating tremolos from Floyd Rose, Edge systems, etc.

The point I wanted to bring across is the fact that it takes time to get used to the Floyd Rose, setting up and restring. And regardless if it's a high-end system or not, they all require some getting used to. It's not like I was born with the skill to easily operate & maintain the Floyd Rose. I've had a fair few experience in setting them up wrongly and had strings snapped a few times, only to get better at it.

All I know was I wanted to use a Floyd for all the fun things we can do with it, and with it will definitely, just like any guitar technique, comes with a little bit of obstacle here and there. Not everything "has to be easy" by default.

Cheers :)
    No need to apologize! However, I do appreciate that you came in with more detail as it brings context!

Now its up to him to see what he wants to do next! I still stand by my point that Floyd's are not for everyone and that some people will just not want to bother with them. Happens more often than not and thats perfectly fine. Thats part of getting to know who you are as a guitar player and what you want!

The only point I wanted to make accross is to understand that they are not easy to operate so he can make a purchasing choice he will be confident with and that he knows what he is getting into!

Cheers!

Maxi?

Garage band Groupie
  • Jan 6, 2020
    Colombia
    Well... thank's for the support, i hope i can go to the store and test the schecter guitar in the nexts few weeks, i'll keep you update and when i make my choise i'll share it with you guys 🖤 also if any one have a opinion or something about the guitar i'll glad to watch it, again thanks for the support and the time

Anthony Peña

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Denton, TX
    Hey man! So right off the bat, I'm noticing a huge gap in price. The Schecter model is around 320 you said, while the Yamaha is over 1,000. More than likely the Yamaha is the better option. If you are willing to spend that kind of money, I recommend taking your time and investing in something you absolutely love. If you want an Avenger model (the style of guitar Syn uses), a quick google search will show you hundreds of them to choose from! But like @Muz Malek said, it is entirely up to how you feel about it. I would go to all of the guitar shops in your area, and try out a bunch of guitars.

See what feels best in your hands. Find a good combination of beauty and beast. Whatever makes your heart beat man! Best of luck.

Reactions: Maxi?