• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Need Help With my First Guitar.

Eslam Salem

Free Bird Player
Jan 22, 2021
Egypt
Hello, everyone.
I've never touched a guitar before but I've wanted to try one for a while because I fell in love with them. I went to a store near me and unfortunately, the prices were higher than I expected and a little too expensive for me to afford at the moment. The store owner suggested that I get the epiphone les paul pack. I think it comes with a les paul special ve, an amplifier and some accessories. I don't have any knowledge about guitars so I didn't know if that was any good. So I looked it up online and people seemed to have a problem with it and said it's not that good of a guitar. So I wanted to ask should I get it anyways or should I wait until I can afford a better guitar to begin with?

I apologize for the long post. I'm just a little excited but also nervous that I'm wasting money.

Thanks in Advance.

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Since, you've already been to the store, did you find any guitars that you particularly liked the feel of ? For me personally, how a guitar feels in my hands is huge for me. If you did find a particular one you liked, you could always try looking for used guitars. You can usually find some really great ones on Reverb that won't break the bank.

Reactions: Eslam Salem

Eslam Salem

Free Bird Player
    Jan 22, 2021
    Egypt
    Since, you've already been to the store, did you find any guitars that you particularly liked the feel of ? For me personally, how a guitar feels in my hands is huge for me. If you did find a particular one you liked, you could always try looking for used guitars. You can usually find some really great ones on Reverb that won't break the bank.
    I tried like a couple of guitars and to be completely honest, they all felt equally cool. I didn't sense that much of a difference because that was my first time holding a guitar. My initial thought was: "Wow, guitars are much smaller than I thought". But thank you for replying. I'll check used guitar out.

Reactions: Alicia Willis

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    Epiphone’s are great starting guitars! But for some one who has never picked one up, i think you need to buy a guitar that looks great to YOU and is in your price range, and one that is comfortable for you! Dont pay attention to brands, you can worry about that later. Right now is about getting you started and keeping you playing!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Eslam Salem

Free Bird Player
    Jan 22, 2021
    Egypt
    Epiphone’s are great starting guitars! But for some one who has never picked one up, i think you need to buy a guitar that looks great to YOU and is in your price range, and one that is comfortable for you! Dont pay attention to brands, you can worry about that later. Right now is about getting you started and keeping you playing!
    Thank you. That was really helpful. I really want to keep playing for as long as I can.

Kim

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Like Ari said Ibanez Gio is great one to start with, i started with that one. My advice, buy some second hand set. I did it for around 100 euros (ibanez gio and an amp), and then after about a year i bought a new guitar i liked (Ephiphone Les Paul Custom Pro) and a nice amp. But too start with it doesnt really matter what u buy in my opinion, after a while you know what you prefer in a guitar
    Good luck picking one!

Eslam Salem

Free Bird Player
    Jan 22, 2021
    Egypt
    Like Ari said Ibanez Gio is great one to start with, i started with that one. My advice, buy some second hand set. I did it for around 100 euros (ibanez gio and an amp), and then after about a year i bought a new guitar i liked (Ephiphone Les Paul Custom Pro) and a nice amp. But too start with it doesnt really matter what u buy in my opinion, after a while you know what you prefer in a guitar
    Good luck picking one!
    Thanks a lot. I really appreciate it.

Reactions: Kim

Adin Shepherd

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Melbourne, Australia
    Starter packs are a great, affordable, way to get yourself started with guitar.

Most of us started out with used or budget gear, mine was a used Strat knock off and a crappy little practice amp.

Time waiting while you save for more expensive gear is time better spent learning. Get the starter pack, start learning and get saving toward your first upgrade!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Eslam Salem

Free Bird Player
    Jan 22, 2021
    Egypt
    Starter packs are a great, affordable, way to get yourself started with guitar.

Most of us started out with used or budget gear, mine was a used Strat knock off and a crappy little practice amp.

Time waiting while you save for more expensive gear is time better spent learning. Get the starter pack, start learning and get saving toward your first upgrade!
    I did find it appealing when I first saw it. Thanks. I'll try not to waste anymore time.

Reactions: Adin Shepherd

Autumn

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Portland, Oregon
    A proper setup can make any guitar play smoothly. However (like nearly everything) practice will ultimately what makes playing comfortable, enjoyable, and sounding good.

Don't believe me? Check out Herman Li (DragonForce's lead guitarist) setting up and shredding on a beginner guitar:

He goes over almost everything you need to know about setting up a guitar, but the main things to make sure are set up properly are:

• Truss Rod (A metal rod inside the neck of the guitar that keeps it straight and flat)
    • String Height
    • Pickup Action (how close to the strings the pickups are)
    • Intonation (How accurate to their respective frequency a note is when it is pressed)

I set up my guitars in that order. Here is a video that explains how to set the string height and pickup action:

The truss rod and intonation are slightly trickier affairs, but here are videos outlining those:

Truss rod:

Intonation:

Best of luck and welcome to the wonderous world of guitar playing!

Reactions: Kim and Eslam Salem

Eslam Salem

Free Bird Player
    Jan 22, 2021
    Egypt
    A proper setup can make any guitar play smoothly. However (like nearly everything) practice will ultimately what makes playing comfortable, enjoyable, and sounding good.

Don't believe me? Check out Herman Li (DragonForce's lead guitarist) setting up and shredding on a beginner guitar:

He goes over almost everything you need to know about setting up a guitar, but the main things to make sure are set up properly are:

• Truss Rod (A metal rod inside the neck of the guitar that keeps it straight and flat)
    • String Height
    • Pickup Action (how close to the strings the pickups are)
    • Intonation (How accurate to their respective frequency a note is when it is pressed)

I set up my guitars in that order. Here is a video that explains how to set the string height and pickup action:

The truss rod and intonation are slightly trickier affairs, but here are videos outlining those:

Truss rod:

Intonation:

Best of luck and welcome to the wonderous world of guitar playing!
    Wow that is really helpful. Thank you so much.

MayEmton

Music Theory Bragger
    Apr 13, 2020
    Hello, everyone.
    I've never touched a guitar before but I've wanted to try one for a while because I fell in love with them. I went to a store near me and unfortunately, the prices were higher than I expected and a little too expensive for me to afford at the moment. The store owner suggested that I get the epiphone les paul pack. I think it comes with a les paul special ve, an amplifier and some accessories. I don't have any knowledge about guitars so I didn't know if that was any good. So I looked it up online and people seemed to have a problem with it and said it's not that good of a guitar. So I wanted to ask should I get it anyways or should I wait until I can afford a better guitar to begin with?

I apologize for the long post. I'm just a little excited but also nervous that I'm wasting money.

Thanks in Advance.
    Hey

I couldn't afford even the cheapest ones from the music shops either - I feel you.

You just have to hold out hope. 🌻 Try buying second hand. You'll possibly find better quality for less money. Don't worry too much about playing on a cheap guitar when you start off. I started off on a dirt-cheap second hand flute.. If the passion and determination is there you can go far. It will also help you to appreciate the good ones..
    Best of luck!

• Love