• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

New Synyster Gates Guitar manufacture trouble

Luis 1408

New Student
May 14, 2020
Hello everyone,
I need some help because my friend bought a Schecter Synyster Gates Custom S and during the unboxing we saw some manufactures details and we don’t know if we have to return it

1) the bridge pickup is kind of twisted
2) there’s some paint in the neck
3) when I touch the sustaniac it moves easily as the synbucker

Attachments

• DE833331-9A86-4CAE-B2E7-717468D9FD3D.jpeg
    DE833331-9A86-4CAE-B2E7-717468D9FD3D.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 175
  • B8166DBC-11C2-4816-9335-8A4704A4EFE4.jpeg
    B8166DBC-11C2-4816-9335-8A4704A4EFE4.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 157
  • B52D2081-15CD-416F-8C8D-B6025E7D1BF8.jpeg
    B52D2081-15CD-416F-8C8D-B6025E7D1BF8.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 163

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Nov 11, 2019
Indiana
I dont own a syn custom myself, but honestly none of this would warrant me to return the guitar myself. The bridge pickup doesnt look that off and if youre really worried about it, you can loosen the screws a tad and straighten it up. And i will say, even my pickups in my guitars move a little bit, and i have Gibson guitars. As long as they dint fall out id say its okay. Also, on the neck that looks more like from when they filed/rounded the frets to be flush with the neck, not really like paint. if it doesnt affect playability/sound and it feels good then id deal with it.

Reactions: Luis 1408

Luis 1408

New Student
May 14, 2020
Thank you very much it’s a relief knowing that I’m not the only one, but I’m still thinking about the bridge pickup, If you compare it with the bridge you can notice it’s not straight, my greatest fear is the sound could be affected

Attachments

• 5BF7FB89-BF3F-4923-8895-EE472D82F53D.jpeg
    5BF7FB89-BF3F-4923-8895-EE472D82F53D.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 139

Jesse Salmons

Nov 11, 2019
Indiana
Thank you very much it’s a relief knowing that I’m not the only one, but I’m still thinking about the bridge pickup, If you compare it with the bridge you can notice it’s not straight, my greatest fear is the sound could be affected
Like i said buddy, you can loosen up the 4 screws in the corners Of the pickup ring (the black part surrounding the pickup) and square it up with the bridge, but it shouldnt affect sound. I mean, its less than 20 degrees (hell maybe less than 10 lol) and considering pickups work off of magnetism itll be fine. Plug her in and try her out brotha! Only way to tell

Reactions: Ed Seith

Luis 1408

New Student
May 14, 2020
Like i said buddy, you can loosen up the 4 screws in the corners Of the pickup ring (the black part surrounding the pickup) and square it up with the bridge, but it shouldnt affect sound. I mean, its less than 20 degrees (hell maybe less than 10 lol) and considering pickups work off of magnetism itll be fine. Plug her in and try her out brotha! Only way to tell
Thanks man! I’ll do that! Although I’m not an expert on this, but how am I supposed to move them, I thought the screws were embedded in the wood with their respective holes, how do I move them? Sorry if it’s a stupid question 😅

Reactions: Jesse Salmons
Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jesse Salmons

Nov 11, 2019
Indiana
Thanks man! I’ll do that! Although I’m not an expert on this, but how am I supposed to move them, I thought the screws were embedded in the wood with their respective holes, how do I move them? Sorry if it’s a stupid question 😅
When it comes to wood, you have a certain amount of play, honestly what i would do is take all screws out but 1, and loosen the last one, get it to where you want it, and tighten 2 screws down, and once its secured put the other 2 in. I had to do this on my flying V when i got it

Luis 1408

New Student
May 14, 2020
Thank you all very much!! You have saved my a lot of replacement paperwork, when I saw that pickup for the first time I thought it would be a problem, anyways it’s kind of surprising because I’ve never seen another schecter in that way
Thank y’all 😄

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Bellah83

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Fort Worth Tx
Thank you all very much!! You have saved my a lot of replacement paperwork, when I saw that pickup for the first time I thought it would be a problem, anyways it’s kind of surprising because I’ve never seen another schecter in that way
Thank y’all 😄
Man, that might bother me, if I couldn't level the pickup mount. Its just really noticeable over the pin stripes. Being as it's such a nice guitar to look at and a mid range price, I'd probably have it exchanged or just make sure they paid a discount for it having a couple of cosmetic defects.

Johnny Lin

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I have the same guitar and am also concerned about every little detail lol. Maybe we can help each other out? I saw that some of these questions have already been answered but Ill share my opinion too. Hopefully it helps!

1) the bridge pickup is kind of twisted - I believe whoever installed the pickup in the factory just drilled the screws a little bit twisted. It is possible to readjust by taking off the 4 corner screws, but I don't recommend it. unless done by a professional, might have to drill new holes. Ill upload a picture of what it looks like. The inside pickup can be adjusted using the middle left and middle right screw. I dont think that small of a defect will affect the sound, but I might be wrong. if you want to contact me privately, I can try to record some audio with mine and we can compare.

2) there’s some paint in the neck - I think quality control might be bad in these factories. They might have just had a little mistake on the paint. My pickup selector wobbles a lot in the middle position. and sometimes switching between pickups doesn't work. and I have a small scratch in the wood between my 2 pickups.

3) when I touch the sustaniac it moves easily as the synbucker - my sustaniac moves easily too, all pickups do. just like the bridge pickup... its adjustable depending on how you prefer your action. that way, you can always find the right range for the perfect sound, not too quiet, not too much static, etc...

Is your friend going to return the guitar? I got mine from Americanmusical.com , where did your friend get theirs?
Can you look at my post and help me out too? heres the link, its in the same forum.

guitar pickup.JPG

Luis 1408

New Student
May 14, 2020
I have the same guitar and am also concerned about every little detail lol. Maybe we can help each other out? I saw that some of these questions have already been answered but Ill share my opinion too. Hopefully it helps!

1) the bridge pickup is kind of twisted - I believe whoever installed the pickup in the factory just drilled the screws a little bit twisted. It is possible to readjust by taking off the 4 corner screws, but I don't recommend it. unless done by a professional, might have to drill new holes. Ill upload a picture of what it looks like. The inside pickup can be adjusted using the middle left and middle right screw. I dont think that small of a defect will affect the sound, but I might be wrong. if you want to contact me privately, I can try to record some audio with mine and we can compare.

2) there’s some paint in the neck - I think quality control might be bad in these factories. They might have just had a little mistake on the paint. My pickup selector wobbles a lot in the middle position. and sometimes switching between pickups doesn't work. and I have a small scratch in the wood between my 2 pickups.

3) when I touch the sustaniac it moves easily as the synbucker - my sustaniac moves easily too, all pickups do. just like the bridge pickup... its adjustable depending on how you prefer your action. that way, you can always find the right range for the perfect sound, not too quiet, not too much static, etc...

Is your friend going to return the guitar? I got mine from Americanmusical.com , where did your friend get theirs?
Can you look at my post and help me out too? heres the link, its in the same forum.

View attachment 793
Hey man thanks for your help!
Yeah I think quality control should be improved too.
About the pickup well I have compared the sound to another guitar with a good pickup and my ears can’t notice any difference, I think this is just a cosmetic defect and maybe I’m being a little perfectionist but taking account this is not a cheap guitar it should be in a better condition, even my 700$ Mexican fender is just perfect.

You are saying your pickup selector wobbles a lot in the middle position I think mine is just the opposite because it’s kind of hard to switch it, I can barely move it with one finger and it doesn’t wobble.

I think he’s gonna return it,
I’m from Europe so I bought my schecter in Thomann.es (most famous musical shop in Europe) and he bought his guitar in (gear4music.es) which is a good shop as well but a little bit more expensive, so he’s probably return it and wait until thomann has availability again in between 4-6 weeks 😫

Johnny Lin

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Hey man thanks for your help!
Yeah I think quality control should be improved too.
About the pickup well I have compared the sound to another guitar with a good pickup and my ears can’t notice any difference, I think this is just a cosmetic defect and maybe I’m being a little perfectionist but taking account this is not a cheap guitar it should be in a better condition, even my 700$ Mexican fender is just perfect.

You are saying your pickup selector wobbles a lot in the middle position I think mine is just the opposite because it’s kind of hard to switch it, I can barely move it with one finger and it doesn’t wobble.

I think he’s gonna return it,
I’m from Europe so I bought my schecter in Thomann.es (most famous musical shop in Europe) and he bought his guitar in (gear4music.es) which is a good shop as well but a little bit more expensive, so he’s probably return it and wait until thomann has availability again in between 4-6 weeks 😫

I wish the best of luck with your friends return and I hope the return process goes smoothly. 4 - 6 weeks is a long time to wait 😞, but at least he will have a better quality instrument with no cosmetic defects in the end 😁