• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

New Theory Threads idea - post questions here

Andrew Milner

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    Hey, synners.

So I came up with this idea which might prove helpful for those who want to learn theory. I made all those theory threads in the forums, but they didn't really catch on that much.

So I am going to ask you to write down any theory questions you have right here. Then, once enough topics are added, I will start creating posts based off of them. That way, I am certain that you will actually want to learn and find the answers to what you are missing.

There are no stupid questions. I ain't about to judge anyone for what they ask. We are here to learn.

So, have fun and start posting them questions.

Kim

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Thanks for offering this! I just started learning theory for myself. And am currently working on the major scale. What I dont understand is that like a G scale has 5 positions and how to know which one you are playing.
    More info about understanding of the scales (like I understand first 7 notes: whole whole half whole whole whoe half, but what about the notes after that, is that the same?) And is 1 note always 2 frets? Some more theory about major scales would be really aprreciated :)

Reactions: Andrew Milner

Pablo De Miguel

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    Thanks for offering this! I just started learning theory for myself. And am currently working on the major scale. What I dont understand is that like a G scale has 5 positions and how to know which one you are playing.
    More info about understanding of the scales (like I understand first 7 notes: whole whole half whole whole whoe half, but what about the notes after that, is that the same?) And is 1 note always 2 frets? Some more theory about major scales would be really aprreciated :)
    The G mayor scale has 7 positions,actually, I guess that you are working on the CAGED system lessons, you will learn the 7 positions on the intermediate lessons, but for now get used to the five positions that belong to the CAGED system. So for each letter of the CAGED system you will find a single arpeggio, pentatonic scale and major scale, when I started working on these lessons I used to asociate each scale to the arpegio shape that play's over it, for example, if you are playing a G major chord on the C shape you will play it on the 10th freet and if you know the scale pattern that goes over that particular shape you will know in which position you are, so if you see the "C" of the word "CAGED" as the first position, the "A" as the second position etc... you will know that, in the key of G, you will find the first position and it's arpeggio,pentatonic scale and major scale, on the 10th freet.
    Yes, the whole whole half whole whole whoe half patterns repeats over and over again,if you play the C major scale you will play C,D,E,F,G,A,B and after that you will start the patern again with an other C,D,E,etc... but an octave higher, you can repeat this as many times as you want until you run out of frets.
    and the word "whole" refers to a whole tone, which means two frets on a guitar(a major second interval) and the word "half" refers to a half tone, which means just one fret on a guitar(a minor second interval)
    I hope that this is helpfull enough to answer your qestions.

Kim

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    The G mayor scale has 7 positions,actually, I guess that you are working on the CAGED system lessons, you will learn the 7 positions on the intermediate lessons, but for now get used to the five positions that belong to the CAGED system. So for each letter of the CAGED system you will find a single arpeggio, pentatonic scale and major scale, when I started working on these lessons I used to asociate each scale to the arpegio shape that play's over it, for example, if you are playing a G major chord on the C shape you will play it on the 10th freet and if you know the scale pattern that goes over that particular shape you will know in which position you are, so if you see the "C" of the word "CAGED" as the first position, the "A" as the second position etc... you will know that, in the key of G, you will find the first position and it's arpeggio,pentatonic scale and major scale, on the 10th freet.
    Yes, the whole whole half whole whole whoe half patterns repeats over and over again,if you play the C major scale you will play C,D,E,F,G,A,B and after that you will start the patern again with an other C,D,E,etc... but an octave higher, you can repeat this as many times as you want until you run out of frets.
    and the word "whole" refers to a whole tone, which means two frets on a guitar(a major second interval) and the word "half" refers to a half tone, which means just one fret on a guitar(a minor second interval)
    I hope that this is helpfull enough to answer your qestions.
    Thanks Pablo for explaining, this weekend I will look further into it with this explaining, to see if i understand it. Thanks for your time to write it

Reactions: Pablo De Miguel