• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Guitar New to forum- Trying to get motivated

famednow

New Student
Dec 1, 2022
Hey guys! Just signed up today, mainly because I was watching YouTube videos of people playing avenged songs and I remember Syn had a site. So, here we are!

I have been playing off and on (lots of off times lol) for 15 years and I never seem to be able to keep it up all year round.

I used to have a guitar teacher and that helped me with motivation but I never got anywhere close to where I want to be.

I started off wanting to play fast, learn solos and impress people. But I would always get stuck on something I couldn't figure out then give up and try again in a few months. Things like arpeggios, bends, weird chords would be something I would practice but wouldn't keep it up long enough to nail the song.

So basically I am a semi decent shredder but when there is something too technical or cord based, I tend to lose interest or find it too hard. It may not even be fast. Like the bends in bat country were harder for me than the shreddy parts. Seize the day bends too.... like the acoustic part to fade to black pisses me off, yet I was playing the solos easy. I learnt the hard parts, but I suck at some of the easy stuff like barre cords etc.

Anyway. Just joined up to try the courses and relearn some stuff I may have forgotten and take another crack at this guitar stuff. I need to try learn what I should be learning instead of just shredding or making my own solos up.

I run a social media agency and am very busy, so I need to try make time for this stuff.

I don't want to be a rockstar or be in a band. I just want to play songs I love and make some cool songs.

Pleasure to meet you guys!

Cacá Barros

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Votorantim - Brazil
www.youtube.com
Hey man! This is the first time that I write something here on Syn's School forum. As a guitar teacher myself I think that motivation is the key to keep improving your guitar skills. But how to do that, right? Here goes an advice: Try to learn the basic theory stuff and apply it to the songs you like (take a solo and find the song key, chords, etc). I always say that you just learn what you use, otherwise you'll forget it right away. The content here in Syn's school is very good and I'm sure you can benefit from it.

I hope my words can encourage you, keep rocking bro!

PS: English is not my mother language so I'm really sorry if I say something wrong.

Alexander

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    AZ
    Hey guys! Just signed up today, mainly because I was watching YouTube videos of people playing avenged songs and I remember Syn had a site. So, here we are!

I have been playing off and on (lots of off times lol) for 15 years and I never seem to be able to keep it up all year round.

I used to have a guitar teacher and that helped me with motivation but I never got anywhere close to where I want to be.

I started off wanting to play fast, learn solos and impress people. But I would always get stuck on something I couldn't figure out then give up and try again in a few months. Things like arpeggios, bends, weird chords would be something I would practice but wouldn't keep it up long enough to nail the song.

So basically I am a semi decent shredder but when there is something too technical or cord based, I tend to lose interest or find it too hard. It may not even be fast. Like the bends in bat country were harder for me than the shreddy parts. Seize the day bends too.... like the acoustic part to fade to black pisses me off, yet I was playing the solos easy. I learnt the hard parts, but I suck at some of the easy stuff like barre cords etc.

Anyway. Just joined up to try the courses and relearn some stuff I may have forgotten and take another crack at this guitar stuff. I need to try learn what I should be learning instead of just shredding or making my own solos up.

I run a social media agency and am very busy, so I need to try make time for this stuff.

I don't want to be a rockstar or be in a band. I just want to play songs I love and make some cool songs.

Pleasure to meet you guys!
    Hello and welcome!
    I too enjoyed playing solos and shreds over playing chords. I developed my ear and my ability to improv.

Though over time, I noticed there was a considerable skill gap between my melodic playing vs my chord playing. I did not have any formal training or guidance, so I think subconsciously I assumed my soloing practice should have been transferable to chord playing 😅.

I am a bit wiser now :p . And have acknowledged that I have to start slow and drill the chord shapes and transitions like I would when I first started playing.

One thing I’ve notice that has helped me keep regularly practicing, has been having a guitar out in a few rooms. I’m a workoholic so It would often slip my mind when they were stored away in their case.

Cheers and good luck!

Reactions: William B.

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Welcome my dude! I tend to find that whenever I achieve a goal guitarwise, there is always a new technique or style that comes in challenge me on my own abilities! It's the fun and frustrating part of guitar: the learning never ends!

But anyways, welcome my dude! Feel free to be at home here and don't hesitate to reach out to the forums if you need anything!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

JackJ97

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Personally I find when going through those sorts of times it's best to listen to other guitarists instead of forcing myself to play as that just makes it feel like a chore and usually I find new things to play from these artists which excites me to pick the trusty axe back up

Jeremy Healey

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend+
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Newfoundland and Labrador
    Welcome! I can very much relate to a lot from what you’ve said. Motivation is one of those things that you have to learn about what gets you in that mood to pick up that guitar. Needs to be the desire to play and grow with it. For me personally I find that I’ll find a new song, or just start listening to a song more frequently, and it just sparks that want. And I’ll learn the techniques as I encounter them. But encountering those techniques and learning more will always be, which is why I’ve learned to enjoy my currently skill level, and look back at the videos I’ve posted a while ago and can clearly see the progression! Also goes exactly with what Radu said, the learning never stops! Always feeling like you’re not where you should be can cause frustration which kills the mood.

And one tip for learning bends, Mrs. Smith has a fantastic video explaining how to practice bends and is totally worth checking out 👍🏻

I look forward to seeing you around Synner :rock-hand:

Hey, welcome! ♥️
    To be honest, I don't play the guitar, but I know how it feels like losing motivation doing something you really want and it's so frustrating... It happened to me a hundred of times, but what I can tell you is that you should keep on trying, you have to be constant, but with something like learning how to play some stuff with the guitar I'm sure that you have to do it little by little and with a lot of patience, you can practise when you have free tiime and I'm sure you're gonna make it!
    Here we have a lot of amazing people who will help you without hesitation! And, of course, the course is an amazing option for you, too.

Good luck! 🍀