• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Newbie needs help with strings!!!!

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    Hey guys! Soon I'll have to change strings for the very first time 😨😨😨 I have an Ibanez Gio and have no idea which strings are currently on (maybe they have no brand? Can't find the info anywhere)...so I want to know which brand and gauge do you suggest? Anything else I should take into consideration when chosing strings??
    Thank you 🤘

Last edited:
    Reactions: idssdi

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I used elixir 10s for the longest time, the last long before they go bad and sound great. Recently I started buying multipacks so I kinda changed to ernieball or d'addario(whatever brand has multipacks available in the gauge I need) but generally speaking I use 10-46 for the thickness. Thickness is very much a preference tho so what works for you is kind of personal choice in the long run.

Reactions: ari.mac

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    I used elixir 10s for the longest time, the last long before they go bad and sound great. Recently I started buying multipacks so I kinda changed to ernieball or d'addario(whatever brand has multipacks available in the gauge I need) but generally speaking I use 10-46 for the thickness. Thickness is very much a preference tho so what works for you is kind of personal choice in the long run.
    Ok. Would you say the 10s are the most used? (So maybe it's the gauge I have now? Because I'm pretty ok for now with them 😂)

Reactions: idssdi

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    Changing strings is nothing to fret over! It's a fairly simple process unless you've got a floyd, evertune, or kahler. Ibanez Gio's come from the factory with 10-46 gauge strings from what I can see. Strings are a personal preference. Personally I have 10-52's on 2/3 of my guitars which are for E, Drop D, E Flat, and D Standard, and Drop C#. If I was going to leave it in Drop C# I'd bump up the gauge for more tension since that's my preference. I believe Ed and Ashley prefer lighter gauge strings on their guitars for ease of play. If you like what you've got on now, pick up a pack (or two or three, I broke a few strings the first time I changed strings. It isn't unusual to do) of 10-46 gauge strings. Brand wise, I use Ernie Ball slinky. They're affordable and easy to find. The guys from Avenged use Ernie's as well. Daddario is reputable, as well as Elixir. If you're feeling experimental, maybe pick up a pack of 9-46 or 9-42's if you want something lighter that allows for easier and larger bends. Keep in mind that with changing gauges you may want to adjust the intonation on your guitar. It's pretty easy as long as you have the tools for it. A tuner and a screwdriver that fits the adjustment screw on the saddles of your guitar.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    Changing strings is nothing to fret over! It's a fairly simple process unless you've got a floyd, evertune, or kahler. Ibanez Gio's come from the factory with 10-46 gauge strings from what I can see. Strings are a personal preference. Personally I have 10-52's on 2/3 of my guitars which are for E, Drop D, E Flat, and D Standard, and Drop C#. If I was going to leave it in Drop C# I'd bump up the gauge for more tension since that's my preference. I believe Ed and Ashley prefer lighter gauge strings on their guitars for ease of play. If you like what you've got on now, pick up a pack (or two or three, I broke a few strings the first time I changed strings. It isn't unusual to do) of 10-46 gauge strings. Brand wise, I use Ernie Ball slinky. They're affordable and easy to find. The guys from Avenged use Ernie's as well. Daddario is reputable, as well as Elixir. If you're feeling experimental, maybe pick up a pack of 9-46 or 9-42's if you want something lighter that allows for easier and larger bends. Keep in mind that with changing gauges you may want to adjust the intonation on your guitar. It's pretty easy as long as you have the tools for it. A tuner and a screwdriver that fits the adjustment screw on the saddles of your guitar.
    Thank you so much! Yeah I was looking at the Ernie's too, they have them at the store near me, since we're in a kind of lockdown and I can't go to other cities where there are bigger shops!!

Reactions: Donovan Etue

Donovan Etue

• Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    Thank you so much! Yeah I was looking at the Ernie's too, they have them at the store near me, since we're in a kind of lockdown and I can't go to other cities where there are bigger shops!!
    No problem! Always happy to help where I can. I can certainly vouch for Ernies. I've been using them the entirety of my near 2 years of playing, as well as countless other musicians a million times better than me haha. Good luck, I forgot to add that I highly recommend following along with a good youtube video on changing strings. I use StewMac's videos since they're easy to follow along to, easy to understand, and they've got a friendly energy to them that helps make it a more enjoyable experience for some reason.

• Love

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    No problem! Always happy to help where I can. I can certainly vouch for Ernies. I've been using them the entirety of my near 2 years of playing, as well as countless other musicians a million times better than me haha. Good luck, I forgot to add that I highly recommend following along with a good youtube video on changing strings. I use StewMac's videos since they're easy to follow along to, easy to understand, and they've got a friendly energy to them that helps make it a more enjoyable experience for some reason.

Thank you so much!! I'll certainly take a look at this!

Reactions: Donovan Etue

beatrix

• Sep 19, 2020
    Italy
    Hey guys! Soon I'll have to change strings for the very first time 😨😨😨 I have an Ibanez Gio and have no idea which strings are currently on (maybe they have no brand? Can't find the info anywhere)...so I want to know which brand and gauge do you suggest? Anything else I should take into consideration when chosing strings??
    Thank you 🤘
    Ernie ball 09/10, i use 09 right now but probably 10 is better.🤘🤘 go with Ernie Ball, i almost only use them

• Love

Ashley Willis

Free Bird Player
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Georgia, USA
    I’ve experimented with all sorts of brands and gauges and for standard tuning, I prefer a lighter gauge like 9-42 or 9-46. 10-46 on my Les Paul. I also prefer a coated string like Elixirs because they last longer and don’t corrode as easy, but they are more expensive. Find what you like and feels best. I’d start with Ernie ball because they sound great out the package and aren’t as expensive.

• Love

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    I’ve experimented with all sorts of brands and gauges and for standard tuning, I prefer a lighter gauge like 9-42 or 9-46. 10-46 on my Les Paul. I also prefer a coated string like Elixirs because they last longer and don’t corrode as easy, but they are more expensive. Find what you like and feels best. I’d start with Ernie ball because they sound great out the package and aren’t as expensive.
    Thank you Ashley!!

Reactions: Ashley Willis

Donovan Etue

• Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy