• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

"Nobody" from the new album "Life is but a Dream"

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    I'm not gonna lie, a small part of me was afraid I wouldn't like what I heard... But that is absolutely not the case. It's quite the departure from the norm, but it's goddamn beautiful and I am in love. Got a great groove and it's catchy. The stop-motion video is unbelievably good and I can't even begin to imagine how long it all took to put together. I cannot wait until June 2nd for the rest of the album! :love: :love: :love:

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Interesting choice for a first single. They’re definitely going more for “this is who we are now” than “give us radio airplay,” which I like.

They take a LOT of chances here, and like on The Stage, they pay off.

Agree with how wild Syn’s solo is here. There’s not a lot that can raise my aging eyebrows anymore when it comes to guitar, but he found a way.

The arrangement is all over the place and I now get the way Syn explained it to me 4 years ago - “It’s got a lot of The Stage in it, but tighter and more compact.”

Lots of folks on Reddit complaining that Shadows sounds like he's straining and his voice is DONE. Personally, I don't get that - I've ALWAYS felt like he sounded like he was straining, and even his speaking voice has almost a hoarse quality to it.

There’s a LOT squeezed into a sub-6-minute runtime and it’s all killer, no filler.

Last edited:
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

DXMG503

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    My initial thoughts:
    • I totally hear the hip hop influence.
    • Anyone else getting a Zeppelin vibe too, or is that just me?
    • I don't hear any guitars in the rhythm section of this song, unless its just Syn using the synth block on the Axe FX - that would be really cool! It's a totally underutilized feature.
    • Shadows voice sounds quite a bit different - I'm wondering if it's a stylistic choice, or if it's from the vocal issue he had in 2018.
    • Syn's guitar tone for the solo also sounds quite a bit different from the last few albums - I'd love to know what he's using for it.
    Over all, I love the song and am really excited for the whole album.

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I think the main part, the sliding down part, is distorted guitar with a lot of synth-type effect on it. If it isn't, you can bet it will be guitars when they do it live.

I think Shadows voice is a stylistic choice. It feels like he sings the whole thing a little flat, but it's definitely deliberate, because it's exactly the same throughout and not indicative of a struggling voice in any way (to me)

Iris

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Oct 14, 2020
    Everett, Washington
    I guess I'm in the minority. I don't like it. It sounds too much like, "Dose" from the stage, which I also didn't like. Honestly, I'm terrifed to hear the rest of the album at this point. If this were the first A7X song I heard, I probably wouldn't have become a fan. The solo, as usual, is great but overall, it's not as heavy as I would like. I do like the very beginning because it sounds like "B.F.G. Division" from the Doom soundtrack, but this also may be a case of it'll grow on me. I didn't like "Waking the Fallen" until I listened to it more. But regardless, I'm just glad to get some new A7X music. 😁 🤟

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I guess I'm in the minority. I don't like it. It sounds too much like, "Dose" from the stage, which I also didn't like. Honestly, I'm terrifed to hear the rest of the album at this point. If this were the first A7X song I heard, I probably wouldn't have become a fan. The solo, as usual, is great but overall, it's not as heavy as I would like. I do like the very beginning because it sounds like "B.F.G. Division" from the Doom soundtrack, but this also may be a case of it'll grow on me. I didn't like "Waking the Fallen" until I listened to it more. But regardless, I'm just glad to get some new A7X music. 😁 🤟
    It’s definitely defiant of any expectations, which can certainly be a roadblock for a lot of fans. I also didn’t really care for Dose, but this song grew on me very quickly. It is certainly going to be divisive, not only among fans of the band, but rock and metal fans in general.

Jeremy Healey

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend+
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Newfoundland and Labrador
    Im more on the side with Iris on this one! Im not the biggest fan of this song. It could just the the shock of it being completely different than what I expected, but mostly it is that synth opening and I find that it gives me this sense of anxiousness which I dislike. The song does a good job at building that tension though, along with the string section before the solo (y)
    All in all, it is a well put together song with some absolutely mental guitar and drum work.

Im interest to see what the rest of the album brings! Ive already bought the blue vinyl, along with the deathbat club exclusive one 😂

Niall Gannon

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Yeah I'm with you on that, apart from the solo it sounded a bit boring and repetitive. I taught it was just building to something special (like the stage) but it just never came :( I do love the weird timing on the kicks behind the solo but man Zacky must be falling asleep playing rhythm on that tune. Not one I will ever want to jam to and I'm not good enough to attempt Syn's solo. The video is class though 🤘

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    Okay I'm back for a quick sec because I have to share this here too. Some Nobody artwork to celebrate! I hope you enjoy ❤️

nobody art 4c tagged.png

Kat the metalhead

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 20, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    I totally agree. I was expecting a lot more considering how long we’ve been waiting. I was expecting something more heavy. But I have a feeling it will grow on me eventually. It’s just really out of my comfort zone when it comes to music.

I really hate that im not liking it but im not gonna like everything a band puts out and it just makes me happy seeing others enjoy it :)
    if people are digging it a7x did their job

I do have a really strong feeling the song will be a better experience hearing it live though. There has been so many bands and songs I’ve gotten into only after hearing them live. So it gives me hope haha

Christopher Lonski

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Im more on the side with Iris on this one! Im not the biggest fan of this song. It could just the the shock of it being completely different than what I expected, but mostly it is that synth opening and I find that it gives me this sense of anxiousness which I dislike. The song does a good job at building that tension though, along with the string section before the solo (y)
    All in all, it is a well put together song with some absolutely mental guitar and drum work.

Im interest to see what the rest of the album brings! Ive already bought the blue vinyl, along with the deathbat club exclusive one 😂
    This is what City of Evil was to me when it first came out. I loved the solos, but I was put off by the whole vibe and the change in Matt's change in vocal style since I had been listening to Waking the Fallen on repeat for a year or two, but it quickly grew on me and became one of my favorite albums of all time. At this point, I welcome the change in style that they've always brought to the table.

Fans generally want to hear the same thing over and over again, but it does get boring. Like if you listen to Slayer, I'm pretty sure they've used the exact same riff on like 3 different songs and have been making the same album over and over for like 40 years. Every single a7x album has been completely different from the next. None of them sound the same and it's rare to find a band that actively tries to do something new and inventive with every album cycle.

I honestly could have been happier with the new song. It's fucking EPIC. The main riff is simple, but melodically, harmonically, and sonically it is very creative and inventive. From what I've heard from someone that's heard the entire album, it's their "Magnum Opus" and I can't wait to hear the rest.