• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

"Nobody" from the new album "Life is but a Dream"

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    But you know, even if I don't like the other singles that get released, I'm still gonna buy the album because it's Avenged. They could layer power chords on top of a recording of freeway traffic and I would buy it. Lol.
    I give it about three albums time for that end scenario 👌😂

• Haha
    Reactions: Ed Seith and Iris

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    So having lived with this song a bit more now, I must say I really enjoy it. My brain goes a lot of places when hearing it, some places are weird and others not so much. First thing I noticed was the weird beat at the beginning that reminded me of the intro of Tom Sawyer by Rush (I don’t know why). As Ed pointed out, the riff has a Pantera feel, that octave bend is crazy. Somehow my mind at places wanders to Paranoid Android mainly during the quiet part, again I don’t know. And regarding the solo, it sounds so good. Like Syn is really pushing his limits on this one which is why it’s so good. You can tell the technical proficiency in his playing, but also that it is hard for him, giving it a human touch, because it is not perfect, which I love. I also get a lot of A7X call backs to other albums, like the technical arpeggios in the “verse” I think? I get the Stage feels from it (album not the song in particular) and of course the orchestral flavor brings right into the Hail to the king album. Also, the choir section I think I hear Syn in there which was cool. Finally, on the video. MY GOD….First representing human souls as their bones….is genius, what a subversion on the trope. Obviously by the theme it deals with death, and I did not look at the lyrics but I get that it deals with how at the end of the day you are a nobody. We are ants flying through space on a rock (Quoting a Queens of the Stone age lyric here, from My god is the sun). I find it interesting how “Paradise” or “Heaven” is a cheap place in this video. Everything is fake, labelled with Barcodes. How the real Heaven is just the void of space XD. Great first taste of this new direction.

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    There's a ton of shit to pick apart in that video - it's fucking brilliant for people who want meaning and cool as shit for people who just dig skeletons and cool visuals.
    Definitely - 100% fave part visually was the skeleton picking up up 'natural' objects to find that they had Barcodes. It was pretty creepy

Awex Came

Campfire Attention Holder
    Legend
    May 23, 2021
    Someone who used to be in the music business made an interesting observation.
    "How is this the second album cycle in a row you release an obscure music video for a track that is definitely not a lead single and it doesn't even feature the band?"

Still wrapping my head around this song before I commit to judgement, but when you see it through the lens of the album as a whole being a concept album about existentialism the song works. If you expected a heavy adventurous radio formatted single, you will be disappointed. They've already proved themselves with that enough times, I dont think that's coming back.

Syn has said thinks to me like "guitar is dead" and the approach on this with that mindset is interesting. Obviously he doesn't mean it's literally dead, just that guitar needs to be a bit more creative in terms of sound and arrangement. I'm *supposed* to see him in a few weeks, but we've been trying to get together for months. If I see him, I'll get some answers in terms of gear and tones.

Anyone else going to see them in LA with Falling In Reverse?

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Christopher Lonski

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Someone who used to be in the music business made an interesting observation.
    "How is this the second album cycle in a row you release an obscure music video for a track that is definitely not a lead single and it doesn't even feature the band?"

Still wrapping my head around this song before I commit to judgement, but when you see it through the lens of the album as a whole being a concept album about existentialism the song works. If you expected a heavy adventurous radio formatted single, you will be disappointed. They've already proved themselves with that enough times, I dont think that's coming back.

Syn has said thinks to me like "guitar is dead" and the approach on this with that mindset is interesting. Obviously he doesn't mean it's literally dead, just that guitar needs to be a bit more creative in terms of sound and arrangement. I'm *supposed* to see him in a few weeks, but we've been trying to get together for months. If I see him, I'll get some answers in terms of gear and tones.

Anyone else going to see them in LA with Falling In Reverse?
    It's a lead single because they aren't so much concerned with what will get played. To go along with what one of the band members said, they are releasing shit that people haven't really heard before and showing them what's good. I don't question anything they do at this point. Everything they do is next level and they continue to grow and cement themselves as one of the greatest bands of all time, or THE greatest band of all time in my book. Few bands truly evolve and change their sound, but EVERY avenged album has been stylistically different from the last, and this one is looking like it will be a real milestone in their career. My only hope is that this ride never ends!

Reactions: Ed Seith

Richard O'connor

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Birmingham, England.
    Personally, I like it and I'm all for the new sound. As great as the past albums are, do we really want to sit and listen to city of evil 2.0? I think experimenting with new genres shows a level of maturity and shows they still care about what they do. Do we need another band like AC/DC that churns out the same 4 chord wonder album after album. I think it's also important to remember that when a band releases music they need to please themselves before the fans. Don't get my words twisted, of course they will try to do right by the fans but if they're up there every night performing, they need to make sure they're enjoying it to give the fans the best show possible.

RoaringRowanThunderBender

• Nov 11, 2019
    Warrenton, NC
    rowm76.wixsite.com
    Ooowee...I guess I'm going to have an unpopular opinion here. And I really LOVE A7X. I used to be one of those fangirls that thought she was going to marry one of them, but not delusional. ...Ok, embarrassing but just so ya'll know where I'm coming from and how much it hurts to go against the grain here. But I want to be honest and provide my input and feedback, as well. And I'll go into depth, so it can be discussed. Not just a blatant, "well, it sucks nyeeeeheeehhh". No, it doesn't suck. And feel absolutely free to disagree with me. This is just my own personal opinion and how I feel. I took notes while watching and listening.

First of all, I really appreciate and love stop motion. So, that was absolutely cool, IMO. (Gave me Tim Burton and James and the Giant Peach feels, and I LOVE THOSE) The concept and lyrics themselves I also really like and enjoy thinking about. However, the way Shads portrays and expresses them isn't necessarily how I would sing them with the melody. Which is TOTALLY ok, just a difference of preference I guess? Hard to explain really.

Alright, guitars. I felt there wasn't really a transition between the riff and Syn's little embellishments and solo-y little kinda things. (I don't know what to call them and I'm southern, so please bear with me 😅) It felt kind of rushed to me is the best way I can explain, I suppose. The solo and everything is phenomenal and just Syn as he always is. An amazing guitarist and leaves nothing to be desired.

The orchestra and guitars!? I love shit like that. I always have. And I like that the orchestra provides more depth to the song.

Drums? Not bad at all. A little simple. And there's NOTHING wrong with that, but I think I just expected more. It didn't feel like what I'm used to.

Now to me...it just felt a little "boring", for lack of a better word. I definitely appreciate the song and video and concept. And the art behind it. I guess it just missed my spot and expectations after waiting for a while. It also makes me wonder if they put this out because they knew it would cause a love or hate reaction. And also makes me wonder what the other songs were like. However, I will not be pre-ordering as I have with previous albums...It just didn't appeal to me or really pull me in. And I've tried to listen to it multiple times. I still really love the guys and support them. And if you think this is the best song/video ever, then I'm happy for you! I'm glad you enjoy it. It just wasn't something I cared for, but I know some of you are going to absolutely adore it! P.S. I'm sorry if I made any of you mad or hurt your feelings.... (*cough cough* Syn, you especially...I know us songwriters tend to think of songs as our babies and put so much into it...) And even if we all have differing opinions or the same ones, I still LOVE you. And I'm open to discussion. I just discussed this on IG and had to see what all the hullaballoo in here was like too. Love ya fam! And Avenged should always DO and SOUND like WHAT THEY WANT, regardless of what me or anyone else says, of course.

• Love

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Great analysis, Rowan, and while I have quickly grown to kinda love the song, I can't disagree with ANY of your criticisms. I suspect they knew this would be divisive. Syn even half-joked with me once that "you may not like it... I *hope* you like it..." before kinda trailing off. I have no doubt THEY love it, but I think they knew some old-school fans would be challenged by it.

I also think (without evidence... yet) that there will be something for old and new fans alike buried in this one.

WE!
    SHALL!
    SEEEEEEEEE!

RoaringRowanThunderBender

• Nov 11, 2019
    Warrenton, NC
    rowm76.wixsite.com
    Great analysis, Rowan, and while I have quickly grown to kinda love the song, I can't disagree with ANY of your criticisms. I suspect they knew this would be divisive. Syn even half-joked with me once that "you may not like it... I *hope* you like it..." before kinda trailing off. I have no doubt THEY love it, but I think they knew some old-school fans would be challenged by it.

I also think (without evidence... yet) that there will be something for old and new fans alike buried in this one.

WE!
    SHALL!
    SEEEEEEEEE!
    Thank you Papa Ed! And I’m glad you can see my points of view. I enjoyed discussing it honestly. And I definitely felt challenged to like it…but I just couldn’t even though I wanted to . That’s for sure.
    And I hope so! It will make winning me back over to the album all the more sweeter if they manage to do so!
    I still can’t wait to see where they’re going! ☺️

• Love

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    I’m fashionably late to the party 💅🏻

I listened to the song the day it came out on Spotify and and was grabbed from the beginning but felt I got lost a bit through the chorus’s and then the acapella shadows threw me off and I was on the fence about it.
    However, revisiting and watching the video, it all fucking clicked and I fell in love with this piece.
    I’ve never cared much for arpeggios either to be totally honest, but the way our lord and savior has used them in this song is pure bliss and amplifies everything going on around them. ❤️

I am officially STOKED for this album !

Jamie London

GYNNER
    Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    Alrighty! So I adore the song from front to back haha. Though to be fair, I may have been a bit more prepared for it. I think Matt's choice of vocal style is great and fits well with the twists and turns of the song as a whole, and lyrically it's probably his best to date. Syn's solo is obviously great, one of my favorites that he's done, if no my current favorite, if I'm being honest. I've seen some say that it's more simplified and others say they got lost during those first few listens. I think at its most base level the song is a bit more simple but that's offset by how layered it is, and there are layers galore here. Strings, vocal layers, sudden stops and starts, etc etc, which leads me into the drums. Someone on Twitter said my feelings about the drums perfectly which was something to the effect of "It's incredible to me how Brooks is able to play so in pocket while going ape shit at the same time". He's not going a million miles an hour, but he's playing what fits while keeping it out there and creative. If he was playing TS or COE style drums, the song would have been even more overwhelming for some than it already is. And he really pops off during that last minute while Syn solos. Their chemistry is fantastic and he starts doing some stuff that make me dizzy and cross eyed if I focus on it too long lol.

And there is very much some Kanye influence present on this one (we're talking about the music here, not the man), both production-wise and musically. The acapella part for instance, is totally a Kanye moment to my ears. Queen as well but more so Kanye imo, specifically "Kids See Ghosts", a project that he had with Kid Cudi, which dropped only one short album, but its a top 10 album of all time for me. Same with the brass that kicks in later in the song, it very much reminds me of the track "Blood on the Leaves" off of Kanye's album "Yeezus". Those two things alone can be off putting to someone. Again, the base floor of the song may be simple, but it is not a basic song. It's like a less is more approach, but with lots of layers. It makes the song sound open and yet chaotic, and I love that. It's something that Ye does so well, especially on "Yeezus".

All that said, it's not gonna be a song that lands for everyone by any means. I've seen a lot more folks coming around to it after a few days for sure, and that's great, but it isn't going to work for everyone, and that's ok! This is also why I'm so curious to know how everyone is feeling after having sometime with the song. Do you enjoy it more? Less? The Same? As long as everyone is able to stay kind and understanding of each other, which would never be an issue here, but on other, darker corners of the internet.. * shudders. But this isn't new for the fan base. This is every release. I will always remember the shit show that was the HTTK single release.. Now THAT was a divided and volatile fanbase lol.

Matt said that its not an everyday banger and more of a ride through anxiety and panic attacks. Their site says "Our new song “Nobody” is 6 minutes of tension, groove and dynamics. The song twists and turns beyond conventional songwriting and leans in on discomfort before letting go", and and I think those are prefect descriptions for it. The press release description for the album is "Avenged Sevenfold’s new album, Life Is But A Dream is a timeless work of art that blurs genres. Best served as a whole and consumed en masse to truly appreciate its musical breadth and sonic depth, it marks their boldest statement and most revolutionary work to date. Written and recorded over the span of 4 years, it was produced by Joe Barresi and Avenged Sevenfold in Los Angeles and mixed by Andy Wallace in the Poconos, PA. Inspired by Albert Camus’ The Stranger, the album is a journey through an existential crisis; a very personal exploration into the meaning, purpose and value of human existence with the anxiety of death always looming. Immerse into this experience…"

This album is going to be a hell of a trip. A very in depth musical journey. It's going to be wild and it's going to be weird. Even if you didn't enjoy "Nobody" I hope you'll listen to LIBAD with open minds and hearts and that you'll be able to find things that connect with YOU deeply, that you can love as all your own.

Last edited:

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Great thoughts, Jamie!

I've always been more album than single, and when a single drops well ahead of an album, I try not to listen to it too much, out of fear it will hit differently as part of the whole album later, so I'm more or less done listening to this song for now. I got a good 10 spins out of it.

The opening riff is, to me, pure Pantera. Simple guitar part with a slow, plodding drum and bass groove. It could be the follow-up to "Walk" fitting in on Far Beyond Driven, where Dime was experimenting with noises a bit more as part of his riffing.

I do feel like the verse/chorus/verse/chorus bit goes a bit past welcome, but then the song shifts to an entirely different direction, with a whole different vibe and feel, which keeps it fresh. It's like how they described The Stage (song, not album), where they had two separate songs and decided to mash them together into one bigger, better song. Bigger, I don't know, but the transition works.

I like Matt's voice here, but I also understand why some people are afraid his voice is shot and others just plain don't like it. The vocal orchestrations with parts overlaying each other (before the Kanye/Queen part, as Jamie refers to it) is pure late-period Savatage, whether they realize it or not. :) Listen to "Chance" by them to know what I mean.

Syn's playing is technical and yet ethereal at the same time. The solo is stunning in so many ways. Few can weave in and out of key, dropping outside notes and then getting back on track with the confidence he can, and when he slows down at all, his phrasing is just so tasty sweet.

I love all the orchestration and strings, too. It's a great song that isn't perfect, and was clearly going to be divisive among the fanbase, which (as we all know by now) they fucking live for.

I remain VERY excited for the larger picture.

Jamie London

GYNNER
    Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    Great thoughts, Jamie!

I've always been more album than single, and when a single drops well ahead of an album, I try not to listen to it too much, out of fear it will hit differently as part of the whole album later, so I'm more or less done listening to this song for now. I got a good 10 spins out of it.

The opening riff is, to me, pure Pantera. Simple guitar part with a slow, plodding drum and bass groove. It could be the follow-up to "Walk" fitting in on Far Beyond Driven, where Dime was experimenting with noises a bit more as part of his riffing.

I do feel like the verse/chorus/verse/chorus bit goes a bit past welcome, but then the song shifts to an entirely different direction, with a whole different vibe and feel, which keeps it fresh. It's like how they described The Stage (song, not album), where they had two separate songs and decided to mash them together into one bigger, better song. Bigger, I don't know, but the transition works.

I like Matt's voice here, but I also understand why some people are afraid his voice is shot and others just plain don't like it. The vocal orchestrations with parts overlaying each other (before the Kanye/Queen part, as Jamie refers to it) is pure late-period Savatage, whether they realize it or not. :) Listen to "Chance" by them to know what I mean.

Syn's playing is technical and yet ethereal at the same time. The solo is stunning in so many ways. Few can weave in and out of key, dropping outside notes and then getting back on track with the confidence he can, and when he slows down at all, his phrasing is just so tasty sweet.

I love all the orchestration and strings, too. It's a great song that isn't perfect, and was clearly going to be divisive among the fanbase, which (as we all know by now) they fucking live for.

I remain VERY excited for the larger picture.
    VERY much in agreement about Pantera. So much groove, and I love that because sometimes groove oriented tracks can become too straight forward, and I know some feel this track is but certainly don’t! I remember on one of our livestreams, Syn brought up utilizing Dime’s sort of agression in his playing more on this album, so I think we’re gonna be hearing more of that, possibly in more unhinged and savage ways.

Agree with what you said about the verse and chorus as well. I think when you get the vocal one the chorus band them moments when the strings drop out and what not, all those little things keep it a bit more fresh for me then say, some of the stuff on HTTK.

Gonna check out Savatge today because I’m super intrigued now! Also agree about the strings. They almost have a Beatles quality to me in some moments and I love that. I think that something I really enjoy abut them, especially right before the solo, is the that song almost has this artificial feel to it for the first 4 min, the siren synth effect really drives that home, and I think that’s purposeful, and then as that ends and the strings come in and the solo starts, you get this very organic and natural feel for that last minute. Which is such a cool balance and is almost meta with what that incredible video portrays with the plastic and artificial daisies and rocks. We need a whole other thread to get into that beats of video because there’s some stuff there that’s just mindblowing!

Daniel Verde

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    One of the best things about A7X is their ability to evolve. Each album is unique, but they keep the core (albeit versatile/eclectic), identity intact.
    The Stage was weird, I liked it right away, but because it was so strange I was able to discover new things within over multiple listens. I only appreciated it more as time went on.
    Nobody feels even weirder than The Stage did when it was released. I'm interested though! I really dig the song. The synthesizer/envelope filter riff that starts the song reminds me of Buckethead and some of the growling effects he utilizes. The blistering lead solos infused with gypsy jazz technique are phenomenal. Matt's vocal melodies are as interesting as ever. There's some creative/different choices in production as well... hip hop stylized drums, Hans Zimmer-like string sections, and brass sections throwing back to A Little Piece of Heaven. I'm really looking forward to this new album.

Has anyone noticed that the celestial colour pallet and existentialist them of The Stage may be continuing in Life Is But a Dream? It seems like these albums are complimentary to each other. Also, I vaguely remember seeing things in their last tour around 2017/2018 where they had merch with celestial eyes on it, You see something similar around the 2:30 mark of the Nobody music video. This album may be an extremely long time in the making. I suspect we are about to witness an extremely concerted effort from one of the greatest bands.

Last edited: