• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Noob help!

DjangoX

Campfire Attention Holder
Legend+
Mar 30, 2020
United Kingdom
Hi!
I have played the guitar for a total of 5 hours. So far I know what a D is and pretty much anything Papa Gates said in the introduction videos. I'm a drummer so please speak to me as if I'm a 5 year old child.
When I play, I've discovered drop D and how easy (and fun) the main riff of Shepherd of Fire is, but I'm constantly nagged by string vibration through my amp. I am NOT hitting the low e at any point but I can definitely hear it. Notes also play when I'm getting my fingers into position without strumming. Is this normal? Or do I need to shove tissues in the pickup springs? I have a Jackson JS32 and a marshal 30 watt amp if it helps.
Remember. I'm a drummer. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Ed Seith

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    The hand you pick with has a thick, fleshy part below the pinky towards the wrist that probably has some callouses from drum exercises. Let that rest on the strings lightly right in front of the bridge when you're not playing the low strings to mute them. Get used to it - managing muting is a vital component of playing with any kind of distortion. Welcome!

Reactions: Dominik Gräber

Donovan Etue

• Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    What Ed said! When working with distortion especially when using distortion to play metal you're going to need to learn how to mute strings depending on the part you're playing. Playing a fast really chuggy James Hettfield riff? You're gonna need to palm mute. The main riff to Beast and The Harlot where you are going 0000 3 fret power chord 0000 5th 0000 6th etc. You'll need to palm mute the open notes. Palm muting can be a little tricky at first but once you get the feel for it you'll more than likely never forget how to palm mute. Papa Gates talks about power chords as well as palm muting on Lesson 18 in the beginner section under "Building on Techniques, Chords, and Scales" section. Notes playing when getting your fingers into position is normal when you aren't muting the strings. It'll squeak some when you're sliding into chords if you don't fully pick up your fingers. I can't play the main riff to Blood and Thunder by Mastodon without some squeaking during that slide to the next chord. Welcome to the school man! If you've got any other questions make sure to fire away! There are quite a few people here who are willing to help with what ever you need figuring out.

Last edited:

Donovan Etue

• Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    This place seems amazing. Thanks to both of you for the advice. It makes perfect sense now. I was all for wedging a drumstick between the strings I didn't need.
    No problem man. I'm always happy to help especially someone who's new to guitar. I'm mildly curious about how you were planning on wedging a drum stick in your guitar though haha.

Reactions: DjangoX
    Synner Endless Summer Collection