• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Not too expensive guitar for lower tunings

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    What about a PRS Mark Holcomb signature? His is close to the top of your budget at about $960 USD. Periphery plays stuff ranging from Drop C to Drop G which covers most of what you're looking for. I think you'd have to really bump up with a heavy set of strings for drop A since his signature has just a 25.5 in scale. His also has the fixed bridge but doesn't have the EMG's in it. Although I have heard a lot of good things about the Alpha Omega set retaining a lot of clarity when heavily down tuning. Are you looking for a seven string since you're looking to tune to Drop A? If you are Mark does have a sig as a 7 string to with a longer scale and an additional finish. It's a bit more expensive at $1,029 USD before shipping and taxes. Matt Heafy from Trivium has two signatures that would fit the bill. The only difference is one is pretty much all black and the other all white. 2 versions one a 6 and one a 7 string model. Les Paul shape, hard tail bridge, EMG's. It'd be good for down tuning too. I spotted a 7 string all black model for $599 on reverb here 10 minutes ago.

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    What about a PRS Mark Holcomb signature? His is close to the top of your budget at about $960 USD. Periphery plays stuff ranging from Drop C to Drop G which covers most of what you're looking for. I think you'd have to really bump up with a heavy set of strings for drop A since his signature has just a 25.5 in scale. His also has the fixed bridge but doesn't have the EMG's in it. Although I have heard a lot of good things about the Alpha Omega set retaining a lot of clarity when heavily down tuning. Are you looking for a seven string since you're looking to tune to Drop A? If you are Mark does have a sig as a 7 string to with a longer scale and an additional finish. It's a bit more expensive at $1,029 USD before shipping and taxes. Matt Heafy from Trivium has two signatures that would fit the bill. The only difference is one is pretty much all black and the other all white. 2 versions one a 6 and one a 7 string model. Les Paul shape, hard tail bridge, EMG's. It'd be good for down tuning too. I spotted a 7 string all black model for $599 on reverb here 10 minutes ago.
    But you won't get any new Matt Heafy Signatures with EMGs anymore, only If you're lucky. They are discontinued and being replaced with Models with fishman fluence Pickups, probably later this year.

But to your Initial question. I have no model names but you should Check Out Harley Benton. They make insane guitars for the Money and have pretty much everything covered by now. Also good modding guitars. Just doubt you find a model with EMGs in it

Reactions: Ashley Willis

Donovan Etue

• Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    But you won't get any new Matt Heafy Signatures with EMGs anymore, only If you're lucky. They are discontinued and being replaced with Models with fishman fluence Pickups, probably later this year.

But to your Initial question. I have no model names but you should Check Out Harley Benton. They make insane guitars for the Money and have pretty much everything covered by now. Also good modding guitars. Just doubt you find a model with EMGs in it
    Yep. Those models of Matt Heafy signatures are out of production I believe. But that just means you'll need to look for a used one. I scower through Reverb a lot and you can find very good condition models for well under $1000 which leaves room for a custom strap by Dominik, a stand, and probably a case.

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Yep. Those models of Matt Heafy signatures are out of production I believe. But that just means you'll need to look for a used one. I scower through Reverb a lot and you can find very good condition models for well under $1000 which leaves room for a custom strap by Dominik, a stand, and probably a case.
    Nobody that I would have to charge money for it would want one :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    schecter is a good brand! You get a great guitar for the price alsoI know epiphone just released a whole new line of les pauls, sg’s and i think explorers too. My dethklok flying V is an epiphone, and with .12-.56 strings on it holds the low tuning really well. You could even go .13-.60.

Thats a video of it in action in C standard. Epiphones QC and durability is remarkable these days. Id definitely go epiphone or schecter!

EDIT: Just looked it up epiphone has explorers, V’s, pauls and sg’s all for around 500ish give or take!

Ashley Willis

Free Bird Player
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Georgia, USA
    Thanks everybody for the recommendations. Decided to go with a Schecter Hellraiser C-1. I had a hellraiser hybrid in the past and sold it because I decided I didn’t like fooling with a Floyd Rose. I learned how and did pretty good with it but it got my blood pressure up a lot, lol. I like to change tunings too much and I know a Schecter is good at holding tunings and great to play.

Donovan Etue

• Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    Thanks everybody for the recommendations. Decided to go with a Schecter Hellraiser C-1. I had a hellraiser hybrid in the past and sold it because I decided I didn’t like fooling with a Floyd Rose. I learned how and did pretty good with it but it got my blood pressure up a lot, lol. I like to change tunings too much and I know a Schecter is good at holding tunings and great to play.
    I forgot about Schecter's Hellraiser series haha. That'll definitely fill the spot you're looking for! Hope you guys love the guitar!

tamagotchigraveyard

Oct 26, 2020
    Charlotte, NC
    Schecter c-1 platinums or hellraisers sound like what you're wanting IMO. Keep in mind tho that even with thick ass strings, a 25.5 inch guitar neck will start transitioning out of its comfort zone when ya get past b standard/drop b and you might have intonation problems. Drop A should be doable but if you want to always stay around these tunings, I would consider either getting a 7 string or getting a baritone guitar

Notyour Beezwax

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Ok, hear me out, you don't need a new guitar to do this. Check out the Digitech Drop pedal, it can tune your guitar down in 1/2 steps up to a full octave down. So you can play tuned down without tuning down the whole guitar, at most just drop the low E to D. They run somewhere around $200, I also think Electro Harmonix makes one, but I don't know how much that one costs.

Reactions: Dominik Gräber
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Ok, hear me out, you don't need a new guitar to do this. Check out the Digitech Drop pedal, it can tune your guitar down in 1/2 steps up to a full octave down. So you can play tuned down without tuning down the whole guitar, at most just drop the low E to D. They run somewhere around $200, I also think Electro Harmonix makes one, but I don't know how much that one costs.
    I agree, Love this Pedal. Although I think Ashley is looking for an actual guitar

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    The Drop pedal is excellent, but it still has artifacts and a delay long enough to feel on faster passages. It also doesn't seem to work great with a compressed clean tone, at least for me.

The easiest solution for changing tunings quickly is to have more guitars. Always. :rock-hand:

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    The Drop pedal is excellent, but it still has artifacts and a delay long enough to feel on faster passages. It also doesn't seem to work great with a compressed clean tone, at least for me.

The easiest solution for changing tunings quickly is to have more guitars. Always. :rock-hand:
    What is a "clean" tone? Never heard of it

• Haha
    Reactions: Ed Seith

Noah Berends

• Nov 11, 2019
    Fort Wayne, IN

I second this. I've used my Drop and loved it for years, but I don't go below 3 half-steps with it. The latency ever so slightly increases with each half-step and past 3 is where it starts to get noticeable. Absolutely invaluable in my personal rig though, especially since I have so many Floyd-equipped guitars.

Reactions: Ed Seith